Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
Has anyone of you noted memeory problems with sleep apnea? Does it get better after treatment with CPAP or APAP etc? Any other ideas, thoughts, suggestions?

Views: 2980

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 05 and have been on cpap since with great results until approix 5 months ago. My short turm memory started to get really bad, I thought it was because I was aging (50). About a month ago I noticed that my memory had gotten so bad thar I did not have time to write my thoughts down before I forgot them. I would get really tired sleepy and irritable everyday around 1100am and could concentrate on my job for the rest of the day (so If I did not get it done by then, it did not get done). My doctor had me do another sleep study and found out that I neede to move from cpap at 9lpm to bipap at 15lpm. I get my bipap on Monday and can hardly wait, I hope that it helps.
Yes I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 05 and have been on cpap since with great results until approix 5 months ago. My short termm memory started to get really bad, I thought it was because I was aging (50). About a month ago I noticed that my memory had gotten so bad thar I did not have time to write my thoughts down before I forgot them. I would get really tired sleepy and irritable everyday around 1100am and could not concentrate on my job for the rest of the day (so If I did not get it done by then, it did not get done). My doctor had me do another sleep study and found out that I needed0 to move from cpap at 9lpm to bipap at 15lpm. I get my bipap on Monday and can hardly wait, I hope that it helps.
will it return, ive had my machine for 7yrs now and was wondering if it would ever come back?..

Saz RPSGT said:
Memory loss has been shown to result from REM sleep deprivation. Memory should improved with PAP treatment assuming that the treatment is correct and results in REM sleep consolidation.

Saz
I think one of the worst problems with the memory loss is the embarrassment I feel in social situations. When I can't remember a persons name I've known for years. I need to introduce my husband or a friend to this person and I can't remember their name. Also, when I can't tell the mechanic the year or type of car I have or my husbands car etc. There have been times that I really could not recall what the calendar year is. I just feel so stupid in those situations! I am NOT a stupid person! ):
Marcus, I'm thinking that's probably gonna help a LOT. I'm older than you are, but I think aging probably does have an impact on the progression of this illness. Makes sense when you think about it--everything, body-wise, undergoes changes, some of which are reversible and some of which have to be accepted.

If the muscles of your throat have lost elasticity and/or strength (which mine certainly have), it would follow that you, I, or anyone else could need increasing PAP pressure to maintain progress with symptom control.

I'm VERY interested in following along with you on this issue to see how the new machine works for you. I'm gonna send you a friend request.

I think there's good reason for you to feel hopeful!

Susan McCord :-)

marcus anderson said:
Yes I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 05 and have been on cpap since with great results until approix 5 months ago. My short turm memory started to get really bad, I thought it was because I was aging (50). About a month ago I noticed that my memory had gotten so bad thar I did not have time to write my thoughts down before I forgot them. I would get really tired sleepy and irritable everyday around 1100am and could concentrate on my job for the rest of the day (so If I did not get it done by then, it did not get done). My doctor had me do another sleep study and found out that I neede to move from cpap at 9lpm to bipap at 15lpm. I get my bipap on Monday and can hardly wait, I hope that it helps.
Hi Melissa,
I know how you feel. I also have sleep (severe), but started out with mild to moderate. Mine got worse after having sleep apnea surgery to remove obstructions in my throat, including my tonsils and part of the palate of my tongue. The doctore told me that I wouldn't have to use my c-pap after the surgery. Actually, after a few months of not using my c-pap, the apnea went from mild to severe. What I have is Central Sleep apnea. Surgery doesn't cure this. Wouldn't it be great if we all could just take a pill and cure our sleep apnea. Maybe some day in the future. huh? Well good luck to you.

Melissa Enderle said:
I was diagnosed with UARS and definitely suffered (actually still do) with memory problems due to sleep deprivation. At its worse, I felt like a zombie with brain fog, unable to put together coherent thoughts or carry out the tasks required in my job. Increasing the pressure of the CPAP machine has helped, but I still have memory problems & fatigue.
I believe that my "gray matter loss" found through a CT scan of my brain is due to long-term apnea, however I have never been told this. I do have some cognitive issues, but again not sure how or why. Would be nice if doctors followed through to try to find out the "whys" but they don't have time to do this. You must look it up and make yourself aware of issues such as this by doing your homework on the internet. Does anyone know a good source for this??
Memory loss was one of the things that prompted me to seek a sleep study, along with depression and massive fatigue. I would get up in the morning feeling as if I didn't sleep at all.

As for memory, I would forget so many things throughout the day. I'd make a phone call, and while it was ringing, forget who I was calling!

I've been on CPAP for 1.5 months, and I definitely feel better. Memory is improving, and I am rested.

My sleep study showed 1 REM cycle all night, but now I wake up remembering one or more dreams per night!
Marcus,

I've been on bilevel now for 6 months and it is fantastic. As I previously stated I set the ramp for 45 minutes but I'm usually asleep in ten minutes so the high pressure is not an annoyance. I sleep soundly for six hours - no pit stops needed but the bladder beckons when I wake up. Get a good fitting full mask the extends from the bridge of the nose to below you lower lip (I love my Respironics with the comfortable gel) - fit it tight for little to no leaks!

Good luck and keep us posted about your progress!

susan mccord said:
Marcus, I'm thinking that's probably gonna help a LOT. I'm older than you are, but I think aging probably does have an impact on the progression of this illness. Makes sense when you think about it--everything, body-wise, undergoes changes, some of which are reversible and some of which have to be accepted.

If the muscles of your throat have lost elasticity and/or strength (which mine certainly have), it would follow that you, I, or anyone else could need increasing PAP pressure to maintain progress with symptom control.

I'm VERY interested in following along with you on this issue to see how the new machine works for you. I'm gonna send you a friend request.

I think there's good reason for you to feel hopeful!

Susan McCord :-)

marcus anderson said:
LOL
there are 4 things that distingush a guinus 1 a bad memory 2 good at mathematics 3 good at english and 4 i forget what that was now
Emotional control is also a sign of genius.

99 said:
there are 4 things that distingush a guinus 1 a bad memory 2 good at mathematics 3 good at english and 4 i forget what that was now

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service