Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
Hi! Ready to Rock This Forum?
Thank you for visiting the SleepGuide discussion forum. We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from patients and pros all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on Sleep Apnea. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

SleepGuide Code of Conduct
Okay, I know we said we want you to have the freedom to express yourselves. And we do. But a few rules never hurt, right?
• Be nice! No flaming. Many posters come here for information, not to be called names.
• Please respect the different backgrounds and education of posters—especially when it comes to diverse perspectives on Sleep Apnea from patients and pros alike.
• No one needs to hear you correct them on proper grammar and spelling. Let’s talk Sleep Apnea, not the difference between affect and effect.
• Wanna talk about religion and race? Well, we don’t. We wanna talk about Sleep Apnea.
• Don’t gang up with other posters against one person. It’s not nice!
• Did I mention you should…talk about Sleep Apnea? Cool! Now get to it and have fun!

Views: 1724

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My name is Michael and I live in Western Pa., and have been recently diagnosed with severe osa and I have been on the machine for a few days and wanted to learn from others about this problem. It does feel claustrophobic and I have to meditate and breathe slowly, but it takes forever to fall asleep. I wake up having to take the mask off after 3 or 4 hours and get sleep without it. My overall breathing is good, not so many double breaths through the night and day. I am feeling better rested than before. I wonder how my life would have been had this been known years ago. My dreams are more intense and memorable for some reason. I still need to move around alot in bed to sleep, but the meditation can be calming. I have been working out and I like some of the energy supplements, but I am watching carefully the intake of caffeine and sugar and other chemicals found in the drinks. I wonder if anyone takes trazedone to help with sleeping and if this is a good idea. Thank you for your site and I am glad to be a part of it.
Hi Michael, when I started using CPAP, I had all kinds of weird dreams, the nurse said I had been deprived of a good sleep for so long, that's why, just relax. I know it's hard just breathing thru your nose, it's weird, since I was a big mouth- breather, and I snorted, and woke myself up many times per night, until my wife "had enough".It took me over a month to learn to breath with a chinstrap/Mirage I mask, just thru the nose. Any sinus problems make it more difficult. I took Flonase, it's really effective for sinus (Ivac makes a generic, but it's a different steroid, I prefer Flonase), anyway, the air actually distributes any sinus meds more effectively. With the humidifier, I set it at 4 instead of the standard 3, to allow more moisture. It really takes time, if you are breathing well thru your nose, all is fine. If you need to wear it only a few hrs, try that, work up to a full night, realistically, I think it's 60 days to decide, not 30. I don't even feel it on me anymore, the mask is everything, for this to be accomplished, I hope you have a good outcome with perseverance.

michael degarmo said:
My name is Michael and I live in Western Pa., and have been recently diagnosed with severe osa and I have been on the machine for a few days and wanted to learn from others about this problem. It does feel claustrophobic and I have to meditate and breathe slowly, but it takes forever to fall asleep. I wake up having to take the mask off after 3 or 4 hours and get sleep without it. My overall breathing is good, not so many double breaths through the night and day. I am feeling better rested than before. I wonder how my life would have been had this been known years ago. My dreams are more intense and memorable for some reason. I still need to move around alot in bed to sleep, but the meditation can be calming. I have been working out and I like some of the energy supplements, but I am watching carefully the intake of caffeine and sugar and other chemicals found in the drinks. I wonder if anyone takes trazedone to help with sleeping and if this is a good idea. Thank you for your site and I am glad to be a part of it.
Hello,

I am Alvin. I live in Houston, Texas. I am newly diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. I have struggled with it unknowingly for some 17 or 18 years along with diabetic complications. I have had a number of nagging health problems that I, in my ignorance, attributed to diabetes but now I see it is the Sleep Apnea that may have been at the root of those problems, including my diabetic complications. I had a stroke in 2001 and things went down hill from there are far as my health is concerned. It was one thing after another and doctor-after-doctor blamed my failure to control my diabetes. They prescribed pills for everything. At one point, I was so doped up on pills I could not even think straight. The doctor I have now got me started in a sleep study and cpap therapy. I have been on the therapy for about 35 days now and I began experiencing improvement the first night. I stopped getting up at night for 4-5 bathroom visits and I now only go once. My energy is renewing significantly and after my first week of therapy, I have been on an aerobic exercise routine. I look forward to being active in the daytime and I look forward to pursuing satisfying sleep each night. I will be visiting this forum for help and advice and inspiration. Good luck to all of you and God bless.
Sugarshirl said:
Hi there, I'm Sugarshirl aka Shirley and I must have had sleep apnea for about three years before finally being diagnosed with it over two years ago. It is severe and during the test at the sleep clinic they said that I stopped breathing 90 times per hour! No wonder I was only sleeping about two hours every night and that was accomplished by sitting on the side of my bed. I was an Human Resource Manager and working usually ten hours daily and with so little sleep, it sure caught up with me. I went out on full disability two years ago due to this and other serious health issues and I can honestly say that I hardly even remember my last year of work. To me that is incredible, but sadly true. Once I received my CPAP, with a full face mask because I am a mouth breather, sleep was no longer the enemy. Yes, it was hard to get used to because the pressure was set at 14, but fortunately I adapted to it rather quickly. Now I really think of my CPAP as my friend and life saver. I found this forum and I would like to issue a big welcome to any and all new members and to urge you all to jump right in and ask your questions, tell your stories and even help others. There are a lot of resources here and knowledgable, friendly people that are dealing with sleep apnea, so please read, reply, learn and ask your questions or share your discoveries. Welcome to the Group.
Thanks and regards,
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

WOW-- it was great to read this and of how much better you are doing now. I was just diagnosed with Sleep Apnea, both obstructive and central, and am headed over to the sleep lab tonight for them to test different machines and face masks on me. I'm a bit concerned because I've started to read about how many different appliances there are-- but more than that, how the insurance companies don't always have your best interest at heart in what they will allow you to have. I am wondering how I assure that I get the best possible solution, even if I need to pay for it out of pocket.

Anyway, I am grateful to have stumbled on this site-- and to hear about the "before and after" you experienced. Makes me feel hopeful.

Thanks and hello to everyone.

Jan
For those that are just beginning this journey, I am glad you have found this site.

I had suffered from the symptoms of sleep apnea for what seemed like forever. I was always given one excuse after another about the reasons I was always tired. I am sure you have heard these same excuses -- too much stress, too much work, not enough excersize, etc. etc. The list can be a long or short one -- the end results are the same. Extreme exhaustion for many of us, depression, other health related issues associated with sleep apnea, weight gain, loss of interest in hobbies and activities we once enjoyed because we are too tired, etc.

I was talking to the doctor one day and told her if our insurance covered sleep studies I would have one done in a heartbeat. She said things were changing and to call my insurance provider and see if they had started covering sleep studies. I did call the insurance company and was told yes they indeed covered sleep studies at that point.

I couldn't wait to get tested. I am classified as having severe sleep apnea.

Getting treatment for it has improved my life so much that I feel like I am back among the living!! But I wish I would have known about what to expect prior to getting my first machine and mask. I had so much to learn, and learn I did.

Read as much as you can, ask questions, make friends, and know that you are not alone in your quest for a good night's sleep.
sleepycarol said:
For those that are just beginning this journey, I am glad you have found this site.

I had suffered from the symptoms of sleep apnea for what seemed like forever. I was always given one excuse after another about the reasons I was always tired. I am sure you have heard these same excuses -- too much stress, too much work, not enough excersize, etc. etc. The list can be a long or short one -- the end results are the same. Extreme exhaustion for many of us, depression, other health related issues associated with sleep apnea, weight gain, loss of interest in hobbies and activities we once enjoyed because we are too tired, etc.

I was talking to the doctor one day and told her if our insurance covered sleep studies I would have one done in a heartbeat. She said things were changing and to call my insurance provider and see if they had started covering sleep studies. I did call the insurance company and was told yes they indeed covered sleep studies at that point.

I couldn't wait to get tested. I am classified as having severe sleep apnea.

Getting treatment for it has improved my life so much that I feel like I am back among the living!! But I wish I would have known about what to expect prior to getting my first machine and mask. I had so much to learn, and learn I did.

Read as much as you can, ask questions, make friends, and know that you are not alone in your quest for a good night's sleep.

Thanks for sharing this. I am on the very beginning part of this journey and go to be fitted for a machine and mask tonight. I have been complaining about a number of things you talk about-- just too tired to do anything. I even consulted a therapist to see if I might be suffering from depression. (His view was no.) While I am feeling intimidated about all of the ins and outs of what to know and ask for in this equipment, I am simultaneously feeling hopefull and upbeat looking forward to feeling better.

Thanks
Jan
To REM Sleep Disorders Clinic--Jeez, sounds like a great program you have there. Too bad I'm in Indiana. I haven't heard word one from my sleep clinic since I walked out the door after titration over 3 months ago. I was diagnosed "high-medium to severe" OSA and am on CPAP 10 cm.

Are you guys private or hospital/clinic based?

You're right--this IS a great website, and the best people you'd ever want to meet. How did you find out about SleepGuide?

Susan McCord

REM Sleep Disorders Center said:
Hello sleepguide.com! Great website! Please allow me to introduce REM Sleep Disorders Center as a resource to you. We are a relatively new sleep center located at 200 East 62nd Steet (corner of 3rd Ave) specializing in the evaluation, education and treatment of sleep/wake disorders. We provide a uniquely progressive approach to sleep medicine by combining a state of the art technical lab, within a contemporary boutique or spa-like setting.....similiar to what you would find at a luxury hotel. Our focus is on treating the patient as a whole. By analyzing a patients overall health and wellness and using sleep studies as a baseline, we are able to provide superior uncompormised treatments. We combine a complete health evaluation and treatment plan for our patients with effective communication and follow up to the referring physician(s). We also put a high priority on following up with our CPAP patients and "sticking with them." We seek to improve compliance statistics and help patients not only get diagnosed, but also to be effectively treated and cared for. We believe that comes with good follow up. This is our mission, so please feel free to contact us, we look forward to hearing from you. For more information you can also visit us at www.remsleepnyc.com. Sleep Well, Live Well!
Hi Jan--I'm glad you "stumbled" onto SleepGuide--that's exactly the way I found this site in July. It's been a lifesaver for me. I think you'll be amazed by the amount of support and info you'll find here. And good people, patients and pros, who really care about apnea issues.

By the time you read this, you'll probably be back home from your titration. Hope it went well for you. Don't be a stranger!! Jump in and let us know how you are and what concerns you have. There's always someone around on here!!!

Susan McCord :-)

Jan said:
Sugarshirl said:
Hi there, I'm Sugarshirl aka Shirley and I must have had sleep apnea for about three years before finally being diagnosed with it over two years ago. It is severe and during the test at the sleep clinic they said that I stopped breathing 90 times per hour! No wonder I was only sleeping about two hours every night and that was accomplished by sitting on the side of my bed. I was an Human Resource Manager and working usually ten hours daily and with so little sleep, it sure caught up with me. I went out on full disability two years ago due to this and other serious health issues and I can honestly say that I hardly even remember my last year of work. To me that is incredible, but sadly true. Once I received my CPAP, with a full face mask because I am a mouth breather, sleep was no longer the enemy. Yes, it was hard to get used to because the pressure was set at 14, but fortunately I adapted to it rather quickly. Now I really think of my CPAP as my friend and life saver. I found this forum and I would like to issue a big welcome to any and all new members and to urge you all to jump right in and ask your questions, tell your stories and even help others. There are a lot of resources here and knowledgable, friendly people that are dealing with sleep apnea, so please read, reply, learn and ask your questions or share your discoveries. Welcome to the Group.
Thanks and regards,
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

WOW-- it was great to read this and of how much better you are doing now. I was just diagnosed with Sleep Apnea, both obstructive and central, and am headed over to the sleep lab tonight for them to test different machines and face masks on me. I'm a bit concerned because I've started to read about how many different appliances there are-- but more than that, how the insurance companies don't always have your best interest at heart in what they will allow you to have. I am wondering how I assure that I get the best possible solution, even if I need to pay for it out of pocket.

Anyway, I am grateful to have stumbled on this site-- and to hear about the "before and after" you experienced. Makes me feel hopeful.

Thanks and hello to everyone.

Jan
Hi, Im Julli I am a cpap user and at the same time I am a sleep tech, there is nothing better than education pt about sleep apneas and the treatmen. Pt loves to hear when you tell them how the cpap work, especially when you tell them you have one your self and how long it will take to get use to using one.
Hi, I'm John, newly diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. At least that's what the doctor called it, as I had 77 incidents per hour in my sleep study. I am trying a CPAP machine, initial pressure set at 8, only a few nights into the treatment, so I'm still working on getting used to the gear.

A friend of mine pointed me in the direction of this site; I'm very glad to have found it!
hi my name is Roger or 99
i have been tired for the last 30 or more years
i would yearly return to the doctors with the same complaint and they would find nothing,nothing,nothing year in year out, i figured technology would catch up and i would be diagnosed with something but no that was not the case

then my son said that i snored and about 2005 i was diagnosed not only with apnea but also diabeties and was waiting to see the consultant which did not happen, then in 2007 i moved
i had a new doctor and told him i was diabetic and had sleep apnea, he thinks he diagnosed me with apnea so i let sleep dogs lie.

i the new consultant urged me to tell the dvla as i was still driving from the original diagnosis
the dvla revoked my drivers licence for a couple of months and so i started pestering my sleep nurse and was told i was bottom of the pile and so i pesterd and pesterd every week like clockwork and she tired of me and gave me a cpap in february this year after a little while i had my licence returned
Hello my name is Richard and i believe i have sleep apnea. Due to the fact that my insurance does not cover the test to determine if i do or dont have sleep apnea i am not getting treated. My primary doctor has just about diagnosed me with it but with out the proper test he can only spectulate.Well thats enough about me how is everybody else?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service