Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
Has anyone of you noted memeory problems with sleep apnea? Does it get better after treatment with CPAP or APAP etc? Any other ideas, thoughts, suggestions?

Views: 2980

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

WOW jnk! LMAO

j n k said:
What was this topic about, again?

For me, some of what I was seems to be gone; some of what I was has come back. It feels as if my memory now works differently from the way it did. I would say that with successful treatment I'm less "forgetful," but still have some short-term recall troubles. To the best of my memory, that is, anyway.

Just remember that remembering things is less important than being remembered, and then don't forget to do your best to be unforgettable. Or something like that.

Rats! There was something else I wanted to say, but I must have lost my thought.

jeff
there are five things that distinguis a genius
1 emotional control
2 good at english
3 good at maths
4 forgetfulness
5 i cant remember

Rock Hinkle said:
Emotional control is also a sign of genius.

99 said:
there are 4 things that distingush a guinus 1 a bad memory 2 good at mathematics 3 good at english and 4 i forget what that was now
What about being bilingual, artistic, or problem solving skills 99?

99 said:
there are five things that distinguis a genius
1 emotional control
2 good at english
3 good at maths
4 forgetfulness
5 i cant remember

Rock Hinkle said:
Emotional control is also a sign of genius.

99 said:
there are 4 things that distingush a guinus 1 a bad memory 2 good at mathematics 3 good at english and 4 i forget what that was now
i can add these to the list then on the last but one i say forgetful
and the last one i do not remember
I am just messing with you 99. A few days on antibiotics and I seemed to have found my snap again.
I had a terrible memory before I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. My husband would ask me to take care of something and the next day he would ask if I did it and I would not know what he was talking about. We thought I was getting early onset Alzheimers. I had to write every little thing down or I would forget about it. Even when I did write things down, many times I would forget about my list. I honestly thought I was slowly dying.

After CPAP, my memory started to slowly improve. I still forget stuff but not nearly as much as I used too. CPAP has been a godsend for me.
Per usual, Jeff, LMAO at your comments!!!!!

Susan McCord :-p

j n k said:
What was this topic about, again?

For me, some of what I was seems to be gone; some of what I was has come back. It feels as if my memory now works differently from the way it did. I would say that with successful treatment I'm less "forgetful," but still have some short-term recall troubles. To the best of my memory, that is, anyway.

Just remember that remembering things is less important than being remembered, and then don't forget to do your best to be unforgettable. Or something like that.

Rats! There was something else I wanted to say, but I must have lost my thought.

jeff
I had OSA for awhile before my neurologist found out exactly what was going on. I went from being diagnosed with a variety of illnesses from other Dr's before I found him, and he sent me for the sleep test. My previous MD had put me on Provigil, which I still need to take, but my lethargy is not anywhere as severe as before. My newest sleep study showed my breathing worse, and I do not go into REM which we all know is quite important. I now have a servo-vent and the pressure is high, but I do feel better when I use my machine. I have severe memory loss, and my memory right now is better than it was previously, but I don't think you get back what you have lost.
My husband works in Nuclear Medicine & he has told me that it is proven people with sleep apnea do have decreased memory, if you think decreased oxygen to your brain most definitely will effect your memory. Thank God apnea is more recognized these days. Hang in there !!
Karen, that's EXACTLY the way it affected me. The Alzheimer's thing was scary--I obviously don't have it since I've improved remarkably with CPAP, but it still scares me to remember how I felt and all the memory loss I had.....

Susan McCord

KAREN JAFFE said:
I had a terrible memory before I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. My husband would ask me to take care of something and the next day he would ask if I did it and I would not know what he was talking about. We thought I was getting early onset Alzheimers. I had to write every little thing down or I would forget about it. Even when I did write things down, many times I would forget about my list. I honestly thought I was slowly dying.

After CPAP, my memory started to slowly improve. I still forget stuff but not nearly as much as I used too. CPAP has been a godsend for me.
You guys never look at the bright side. just think, you will meet new people every day. you can use the gps, for your house...if i just can remember where i put it ! you can eat chicken 84 days in a row, no problem! if someone gives you a problem, you just say 'hey... i'm old !' lol, ths actually worked for me [and im only 51] !! My mom, who is getting up there sometimes forgts my name, so she just says 'oh, you know who you are!' Hey, if you can spell GOOGLE , you can have a bad memory and still look smart. i find that consistently using the cpap, trying to get as much sleep as i can, and trying to eat healthy, really helps your memory and cognitive activity. As i get older, the only important thing to remember is to love your loved ones... and maybe your pin number for the atm card.
Dave, I use pen and paper for a lot of these things! I don't get lost in the house and don't forget why I went to whatever room I'm in so often now that I started Aricept. It's kind of scary that it works, I'm only 57, but hey, no telling how much memory time it will give me. I do have to use the dictionary much more often though, and am appalled at my spelling in my posts sometimes.... I keep directions and the phone number to wherever I'm going in the glove compartment and the cell phone close at hand.

Enjoyed your humor. Made me feel like one of the gang.

Mary Zimlich

dave foster said:
You guys never ... i get older, the only important thing to remember is to love your loved ones... and maybe your pin number for the atm card.
I have memory loss issues....usually just short term everyday forgetfulness. A lot of concentration issues, too. But I was not always like this and my recent diagnosis of moderate OSA has convinced me that I need the cpap therapy. Hope it gets better. A lot of other issues are in that mix as well. I was so unaware of how much this has affected me in so many ways. I am new to this site and new to the whole OSA journey and this site is a great resource. I should be getting my new equipment within the week and I intend on working with it until I can be 100% compliant...for my health's sake.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service