Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
I have read some of the profiles here on the forum. A number of members have mentioned that they have Sleep Apnea, but are not in treatment.

Of course there can be a good reason for that, waiting for a titration study, waiting for equipment, not severe enough to qualify with your insurance or Health Care System, but it could also be because of poor compliance.

The major problem with compliance numbers is that there is absolutely no consensus about compliance. A lot of studies use different criteria for compliance, and I think this is the reason for the different numbers for compliance.

I think the most used criteria are 4 hours at night at least 5 days a week. I have seen that compliance who meets these criteria is about 60 – 70%

But I think that most of members here would agree with me, that good compliance is using the CPAP ALL the time you sleep, even when you take a nap.

So before we talk compliance, I think we have to define our own criteria for compliance.

The normal sleep is about 8 hours a night. We can call this “Full Compliance”.

If we recalculate the above used criteria to “Full compliance” then it gives a “Full Compliance” at around 25%.

So no doubt, the CPAP compliance over all is very poor.

It would be nice to hear the reason from some of you, who is not in treatment (and I’m sure that on this forum no one will blame you, unlike other forums).

Have you been in treatment, is it insurance problems, is it poor compliance or ???

IF it is poor compliance, I’m sure that a lot of members here is ready to give good advice to you. We are all here to help each other

There are also other treatment options than CPAP.

Henning

Views: 258

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dang! I don't remember the Respironics "combination" either it has been so long since I used one! I have a Resmed now. I'm not familiar w/the ResMaser Lite to being with, that is way prior to my CPAP experience starting in the fall of 2006. However, if the "combination" remains the same ..... I"ll look around and see if I can find the instructions. I know they are posted somewhere on the net. I just don't remember where. I will find it and post it here when I do. Meanwhile, if I were you I would still call that sleep doctor and request a copy of your original script (its good for life online) AND a copy of the order for your last pressure change (to 10 cms).
YIKES!!! Do I need new glasses. My CPAP machine is a Remstar lite not Remaster.
Wow! You've tried quite a list of masks! I didn't see the following full face masks in your list. Have you tried any of these? If so, your thoughts?

ComfortGel
Zzz
MoJo

sleepycarol said:
In my opinion, getting the right mask is the key to getting good therapy.

Here is a list of all the masks that I have tried and whether I liked that mask or not:

My first mask was a Fisher and Paykel HC431 that the doctor prescribed. It was the mask I used during my titration study and he felt that it was best suited for me. I used it for approximately 3 or 4 months and became aware that there were other options and so began my journey on finding the mask best suited for me.

Among the other masks I have used:
Optilife
Snapp X
Nasal Aire I and Nasal Aire II
Breeze Sleepgear
Ventlab Nasa Cannula System
Infinity HC481
Original Swift
Swift II
Hybrid
Opus 360
Original Comfortlite
Comfortlite 2
Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask
Comfortfull 2 Full Face Mask
MoJo Full Face Mask
ComfortGel Nasal Mask
Ultra Mirage II Nasal Mask
Comfort Classic Nasal Mask
Profile Lite Nasal Mask
Mirage Activa Nasal Mask
ComfortCurve Nasal Mask
Mirage Vista Nasal Mask
Contour Nasal Mask
Simplicity Nasal Mask
IQ Nasal Mask
Soyala Nasal Mask

I was able to try these masks by trading masks with other users, purchasing them from www.cpapauction.com, and by advertising on www.craigslist.com that I was wanting to purchase like new cpap masks.

The mask I settled on and use regularly is the Aura/Headrest mask. It has very little facial contact and sets directly under the nares with the hose being routed up out of the way. It is my mask of choice, but it took me a long time to discover it. I suggest that if you can buy a few masks online at one of the auction sites or by advertising on something like craigslist or local media. Once you have a couple of masks you can try them for a while (give each a few nights or a week to make sure you truly do not like it instead of it being just an off night) and then do some swapping for others that you want to try.

Do not give up until you find the right mask for you. I know some of you may say it is way too much to spend on finding the mask that works, but a great nights sleep is priceless in my book -- and by purchasing at auction sites, etc. the cost is not that great in comparision to finding the one that works.
I'm using the ProBasics Zzz-Mask (Small). And I like it. I can sleep on my sides or my back. And most often have a Median Leak rate of 0.0 with a 95th percentile well under 10. The headgear was way too big but some experiments w/folds in the straps and velcro to hold them until I had the adjustment just right and then a pair of scissors to cut out the folds and velcro to put the cut ends back together took care of that problem.
Judy's mention of washing your face before bed reminded me that what has always helped me with those middle of the night mask adjustments was to turn off the "blowing" (or disconnect hose), wipe down the contact edge of the mask, and your face, before refitting onto the face. The mask makes better contact with the air off. I keep non scented baby wipes by the bed. When I use one I keep it in an old kleenex box cuz it's not really dirty so then I have a choice between using a dry wipe (for those nights with condensation problems) or a wet wipe and the dry ones make great tissues for those times you have a cold.

Judy said:
To acclimate yourself to having a mask on your face and to air blowing try donning your mask during the day or in the early evening, turn your CPAP on to a comfortable pressure, and just sit and read a newspaper, magazine or book, work a crossword or jigsaw puzzle, watch TV, knit or crochet, whatever takes your mind off that mask and xPAP and that "I've gotta get to sleep" mindset.
Always wash your face just before going to bed and donning your mask to remove the oils that can help your mask slip during the night and to reduce the aging they can do to your mask cushion's life.
cathy huffman; Have you removed your humidifier? Many people don't need to use a humidifier -- I can't stand a humidifier myself.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service