Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

I live in a very small apartment and finally will have a bureau, but the only place to put it is next to the bed.  It will take the place of the table I keep my Cpap on.  Is it better to have the Cpap above your head or below? 

Views: 22022

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gordon, The heated tube gets it power from the Resmed H5I humidifier. It uses their "Climateline" hose which has proprietary connectors to heat the hose.

My headboard has a bookshelf with a a rail in the front of it that lets me run my hose out any where I want. I can adjust the slack easily. The hose stays very flexible since it never gets cold. Its not noticably warm.

I choose to have it hanging about a foot low alongside of the bed but I bring it up behind my pillow where it exits above my head. When I flip over, it can too, but I manually move it to suit me. I'm barely conscious that I'm moving it.

I've just switched to a nasal pillow apparatus and it has an 12 to18" slim hose that connects to the heated hose with a conventional connector.(The proprietary end of that "climateline" is only at the Humidifer.) so the last bit is not heated. This short bit is very flexible which makes it even nicer than the heated hose which I had connected to my original mask. I'm really pleased withe the Resmed S9 and its accessories. I have found it to be quite quiet.

I have several friends and relatives who are all favorably inpressed with the bells and whistles in my S9. (We all discussed our units as we gathered at a resort for a family reunion.) Most of the others didn't know much about their own system and no one gave them options or much guidance. I'm sure the Respironics and Fisher-Paykels and others are very functional but I am glad taht I chose the Resmed S9.

I did a bit of reading and selected this model because of its heated hose and I preferred the SDcard for data storage instead of a smartcard so I could download the data with the computer configuration I have. I also got the Resmed software and review each night's events to see what I can learn. Like, if I can justify sleeping in one position rather than another..

It bothers me that these systems have a lot of detail that no one ever looks at. Mine keeps 7 days of detailed data the would be lost if I didn't download it to the Resmed software on my computer to look at it. The insurance company only wants the supplier to check for compliance after 30 days. The technician was willing to discuss details when I asked him, but after a month of viewing my own data I was as knowledgeable as he about the things that interested me. He produced a lot of blank looks as I grilled him for information. "uhh, nobody has ever asked that question before.". To be fair, most of my questions were about the software and significance of various chart data which I have found  very interesting. I'm still learning.

This supplier was curious who had suggested the Resmed when I picked it up. He said the doctors around here always suggest the Respironics because that's all they know. He had chosen the S9 for himself as well after testing several models.

My doctor, a general practitioner thinks he needs to be tested and he plans to call me before he chooses which system he will use. I guess you can tell that I'm pleased with the S9.

I did not see a heated hose with any other unit as I was shopping. It probably depends more on the humidifier than it does with the CPAP. Those components are mated with this Resmed package.

I hope this helps.

Jere

That's a good find. I had also found a more expensive one for twice the price that looks the same but breaks down and is portable on DirectHomeMedical.com. I wonder if this is the same one?

Jere's suggestion of the heated hosing and the hose holder may solve the problem. I also saw a tube brush on the same website which might eliminate my need to worry about having to replace the heated hose every 3 months if Medicare and my insurance carrier don't cover the hose. Great suggestions!

ZolliStar said:

I wonder if a CPAP hose holder would be helpful. I googled "CPAP hose holder": Here's just one of the items that came up:

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/imp/12227?cm_mmc=GooglePLA-_-Hea...

The entire unit drains out.  I can't try the heated hose as the machine is "too old" (2 years).  The company is picking up the machine on Thursday to try to replicate the problem.  I am going to try the hose holder, I tried the clips, but had to use 6 to get rid of the pull on the hose so getting into bed and out is a pain in the .... you can guess...

Brittany said:

Puddles on the floor!? That sounds like more than condensation from the humidfier. I cant imagine how the water would be getting out of the tube. There may be something wrong with you machine... or maybe make sure the door to the humidifier compartment is completely closed? If not I know it can blow water and air out that way.

Noreen LaVallo said:

I am supposed to use a humidifier, but it leaks and I end up with puddles on the floor every single morning.  I don't fill it to the fill line and even just put in a tiny bit of water and still puddles.  It sounds like a good option to try.

I have been at this for over 4 years and really haven't found a solution for machine, mask, hose, placement, etc that's perfect. I am limited by my insurance and Medicare. Not that I am complaining as I do not pay any premiums and I am limited to a maximum of $350/year out-of-pocket. My Rx program is also very good. I will have my Bi-Pap machine replaced every 5 years so I am waiting for that to come up soon. We pay 50% of the premium for my wife (about $350/mo until she goes on Medicare until August) and she pays a $15 co-pay, so we consider ourselves very lucky.

Nasal masks give me terrible sinus problems and I have tried just about every mask under the sun. I am making a the best of a ResMed Quattro FX which isn't working as well since I lost weight.

I've had 2 sleep studies and they want me do another. The entire process is frustrating as we just never seem to find the right solution. Right now my wife has been sleeping in another bedroom for 4 months.

I am going to do more research on the heated hose and hose holder to see if these will work. or help somewhat. One heated hose states that this will work with any machine.

I am also going back to the equipment provider (another office as the local one has gone through some changes) to see if I need a re-fit.

I thank everyone for the threads that have been posted. I have been posting optimistic replies only to find things go bad months later. This is the first time I have back to the website in months.

Jere Roche said:

Gordon, The heated tube gets it power from the Resmed H5I humidifier. It uses their "Climateline" hose which has proprietary connectors to heat the hose.

My headboard has a bookshelf with a a rail in the front of it that lets me run my hose out any where I want. I can adjust the slack easily. The hose stays very flexible since it never gets cold. Its not noticably warm.

I have it hanging about a foot low alongside of the bed but I bring it up behind my pillow where it exits above my head. When I flip over it can too, but I manually move it to suit me. I'm barely conscious that I'm moving it.

I'v just switched to a nasal pillow apparatus and it has an 12 to18" slim hose that connects to the heated hose with a conventional connector.(The proprietary end of that "climateline" is only at the Humidifer.) so the last bit is not heated. This short bit is very flexible which makes it even nicer than the heated hose which I had connected to my original mask. I'm really pleased withe the Resmed S9 and its accessories. It's quite quiet.

I have several friends and relatives who are all favorably inpressed. (We all discussed our units as we gathered at a resort for a family reunion.) Very few of the others didn't know much about their own system and no one gave them options or much guidance. I'm suer the Respironics and Fisher-Paykels and others are very functional but I sure enjoy the features of the Resmed S9.

I did a  bit of reading and selected this model because of the heated hose and I liked it SDcard for data storage instead of a smartcard so I could download the data with the computer configuration I have. I also got the Resmed software and review each night's events to see what I can learn. Like, if I can justify sleeping in one position rather than another..

It bothers me that these systems have a lot of detail that no one ever looks at. Mine keeps 7 days of detailed data the would be lost if I didn't download it to the Resmed software on my computer to look at it. The insurance company only wants the supplier to check for compliance after 30 days. The technician was willing to discuss the detail when I asked him, but after a month of viewing my own data I was as knowledgeable as he about the things that interested me. He produced a lot of blank looks as I grilled him for information. "uhh, nobody has ever asked that question before.". Most of my questions were about the software and significance of various chart data which I have found this very interesting. I'm still learning.

This supplier was curious who had suggested the Resmed when I picked it up. He said the doctors around here always suggest the Respironics because that's all they know. He had chosen the S9 for himself as well after testing several models.

My general practitioner thinks he needs to be tested and he plans to call me before he chooses which system he will use. I guess you can tell that I'm pleased with the S9.

I did not see a heated hose with any other unit as I was shopping. It probably depends more on the humidifier than it does with the CPAP. Those components are mated with this Resmed package.

I hope this helps.

Jere

There are stand-alone heated hoses that work independently (i.e., will work with any CPAP/APAP machine). The hose just replaces your regular hose, and it has its own power supply that you plug in. Called the "Aussie Hose." Here's the link if you're interested in taking a look. http://www.sleepzone.com.au/showitems.asp?heading1=SleepZone%20Heat...

The CPAP Hose Lifts (Holder) are, in my opinion, the best thing invented for CPAP after the machines and masks of course ;)  I could be wrong Zollistar, but the one you've linked with looks to me like a 'copy' of the real Hose Lift by Arden Innovations, so I can't vouch for this one.  However, I can 100% recommend the original Hose Lift by Arden Innovations.  You can see it here on our website http://www.hope2sleep.co.uk/products/9 and we have sold 100's of them and received nothing but praise for them - not one bad feedback ever!  I have one on my bed and another one permanently packed for travel, as I would hate to ever sleep without one.  They can be purchased in the US easily, and recently were given top place as the best hose lift management device by Talk About Sleep after a survey they ran.

ZolliStar said:

I wonder if a CPAP hose holder would be helpful. I googled "CPAP hose holder": Here's just one of the items that came up:

Not to be negative, but I see problems with this one.  Hopefully, someone makes a better one.

I've seen too many things made like this.  Cheap steel tubing, crimped to make a bend, a steel loop, with the ends shoved into the bottom of the tube (very unlikely to have been welded into place).  Assuming the thing stays in place, the crimp in the steel tube means that it's very weak, and it won't take much for it to break.  Typically, when using this method of construction, the metal is painted directly, without primer, and the paint generally flakes off, and the steel rusts.

The photo has been manipulated in Photoshop (try zooming the image in all the way), by someone who hasn't the skills to use the software.  Considering how poorly they replaced the pole itself, it isn't a surprise that they didn't know how to put a shadow at the bottom, where the loop goes under the mattress.

If their product is a good value, then why fake the photo?

This might sound a bit crazy, but I think one of those plant hangers that you mount on a wall would do a far better job of it (you can usually fold them against the wall, too).  Probably would want to slide a bit of vinyl tubing over the hook part, to allow the CPAP tubing to move, though.

I would love a good solution for myself, but I guess it hasn't bugged me enough to make the effort, yet.

ZolliStar said:

Thanks for this information, Kath. Very helpful.

I don't have this problem myself, but I can understand how others might. If I do have a hose problem like this, I'll certainly consider this option. It does, indeed, appear to be well constructed.

Kath Hope www.hope2Sleep.co.uk said:

The CPAP Hose Lifts (Holder) are, in my opinion, the best thing invented for CPAP after the machines and masks of course ;)  I could be wrong Zollistar, but the one you've linked with looks to me like a 'copy' of the real Hose Lift by Arden Innovations, so I can't vouch for this one.  However, I can 100% recommend the original Hose Lift by Arden Innovations.  You can see it here on our website http://www.hope2sleep.co.uk/products/9 and we have sold 100's of them and received nothing but praise for them - not one bad feedback ever!  I have one on my bed and another one permanently packed for travel, as I would hate to ever sleep without one.  They can be purchased in the US easily, and recently were given top place as the best hose lift management device by Talk About Sleep after a survey they ran.

ZolliStar said:

Having done further investigation of this item, I find that the reason for the lousy photoshopping, is to make the tubing look much fatter than it is (it's still creepy).  It turns out that it's very much like the collapsible tent poles with bungee cords holding them together.  This particular one is still very cheap, but Amazon has many five star reviews of it.  One should consider the other reviews, however, as I think they have some valid points to make.  I think that if you don't expect too much of a $10 doodad, you may find this very helpful.

Myself, I sleep on a memory foam mattress, on top of a futon (and I don't mean a bed frame) on the floor, with my CPAP unit about three inches off the floor, and close to the bed.  That's probably part of the reason I don't have much trouble with my tubing.

Kevin Barthelemy said:

Not to be negative, but I see problems with this one.  Hopefully, someone makes a better one.

I've seen too many things made like this.  Cheap steel tubing, crimped to make a bend, a steel loop, with the ends shoved into the bottom of the tube (very unlikely to have been welded into place).  Assuming the thing stays in place, the crimp in the steel tube means that it's very weak, and it won't take much for it to break.  Typically, when using this method of construction, the metal is painted directly, without primer, and the paint generally flakes off, and the steel rusts.

The photo has been manipulated in Photoshop (try zooming the image in all the way), by someone who hasn't the skills to use the software.  Considering how poorly they replaced the pole itself, it isn't a surprise that they didn't know how to put a shadow at the bottom, where the loop goes under the mattress.

If their product is a good value, then why fake the photo?

This might sound a bit crazy, but I think one of those plant hangers that you mount on a wall would do a far better job of it (you can usually fold them against the wall, too).  Probably would want to slide a bit of vinyl tubing over the hook part, to allow the CPAP tubing to move, though.

I would love a good solution for myself, but I guess it hasn't bugged me enough to make the effort, yet.

ZolliStar said:

I think you're right.  The cheap one is a knockoff of the one you sell.  Your price is about what I would expect from a quality item of that sort, and you can actually see what you're buying (I really hate when people fake photos of their products).  It's entirely possible that some, if not many, of the positive reviews I saw on Amazon were intended to be of the item you sell.

Kath Hope www.hope2Sleep.co.uk said:

ZolliStar said:

I checked out the heated hose with it's own power supply but I am on a fixed income and it is waaay out of my price range.  The hose holder however is more affordable and I will try that and see how that does.  Thanks for all your help.

Thanks for looking into this Kevin and I've confirmed it with the manufacturer, and the one Zollistar found is, indeed, the copy.  The manufacturer's comments are:-

"The CPAP Hose Lift:  Made of aluminum and with 5 segments, weights only 6 3/4 ounces and at 5"x8"x1" is Very travel friendly.

The Copy Cat:  Made of Steel and with only 4 segments weighs several times more and is quite bulky and Not travel friendly"

All I can say, is that I've had my own hose lift on my bed for 4 years now, and it's still as good as ever.  We've also never had a faulty one sent back, and up to now, the only people to come back to re-purchase are people who want a spare packed for travel (like me).  The problem with the copycat is that because they've made it look so 'similar' then the 'real original' CPAP Hose Lift may get mistaken when reading feedback.

I originally bought mine to get rid of rainout, which it need, along with a hose cover.  However, the extra bonus is that it actually relieves us from the weight of the mask on our faces, and as one Australian customer once said "it feels like the mask isn't quite attached to my face any longer."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service