Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
I thought it might be useful to find out what types of problems newbies are having.

Many on the forum did not make the transition without adjustments. If we know what problems you are having we may be able to come up with some solutions that may help your transition a little smoother.

Views: 6112

Replies to This Discussion

Sandra is your machine set for a range of pressures? I looked at your profile and saw that you have an apap listed. Is that correct?

An apap can handle a range of pressure and I would be throwing a fit to have it where I didn't have to stay at 15 unless it was necessary. I have a pressure range on my machien of 9 to 15. I can stay at the lower pressure much of the night and go up only when it is truly needed.
sleepycarol said:
Kelly,

It takes time for your body to adjust to therapy. It won't happen overnight, or even after several nights for many.

What you are feeling is common. It isn't normal to sleep with something strapped to your face. Add the air pressure blowing at you on top of it and mask leaks, various noises the machine makes, etc. can contribute to having to adjust to therapy.

Give yourself some time. Finding the right mask is the key to good therapy. Many of us have had to try multiple masks to get one that feels comfortable and doesn't leak like a sieve. For me, I probably tried a dozen or so masks before I settled on my current one. If you are using a nasal pillow mask -- you have to take care of any leaks that might occur during the night when the mouth drops open. Even slightly parted lips may cause your therapy to end up escaping. You many not even be aware of the leaking.

What machine do you have? Does it record useful data (not compliance data). If you give us the full name of your machine we can probably help with some suggestions that you can try.
Sleepcarol,
you asked about my machine. I don't know if it records anything other than compliance info. That is the only info that was mentioned to me. I have an appointment tomorrow so hopefully with get additional information.
More specifics on my machine: it is a DeVilbiss IntelliPAP Standard CPAP Series Positive airway Pressure Device. Model DV5 Series.
Thank you for all the great comments from everyone. I appreciate the confirmation that adjustment is one thing, struggling to breathe is something else.
Kelly
The DeVilBiss IntelliPAP Info and the DeVilBiss IntelliPAP AutoAdjust are a fully data capable xPAPs. The DeVilBiss IntelliPAP Intro is not.
Leaks are driving me crazy. Tonight will be my 7th night. I was able to finally fall asleep after 3 nights, but I invariably have to take it off at some point because air is blowing on my cheek or in my eye. It seems like as my face relaxes, the mask shifts. I am using a full face mask (ResMed Mirage Quattro) and while it's not uncomfortable, the constant adjusting keeps me awake. Any suggestions to keep it seated on my face? Or is minor leakage normal and something I'll need to get used to? I do normally prefer to sleep on my side without a mask but am willing to adjust to being on my back (if I'm sleepy enough I can fall asleep this way).

I cannot use nasal pillows or the like because I can only breathe through my mouth.
It is important that the headgear straps not be adjusted too tight as the mask cushion and this outer cover must be filled w/air in order to seal properly. Are you laying down when you put your Quattro on? With your CPAP turned on? I had some problems w/the Quattro since the "slot" for the bridge of the nose was too long and too narrow for my snozz.

Lay down, lay your Quattro on your face, turn your CPAP on to your SET (NOT STARTING) pressure, lay it SLIGHTLY lower on your nose than its proper position, adjust your straps COMFORTABLY, lift the Quattro SLIGHTLY off your face and let it lay back on your face pushing it SLIGHTLY UP into proper place on the bridge of your nose. This turns the edge of that thin cushion cover UNDER so it doesn't cut into the bridge of your nose. Run your fingertip along the seam line between cushion and facial skin to eliminate any remaining leaks. NEVER TOLERATE LEAKS INTO YOUR EYES!

Either buy a PAPillow or a SOFT down pillow that allows you to either sleep w/your face to the edge of the pillow w/your mask hanging over the edge or to punch an indentation into the pillow for your mask to fit. Managing your hose also helps to keep it from tugging your mask out of position. Either clip it to your PJ top or arrange for it to hang over your head.

You might also consider buying some Mack's Silicone Ear Plugs at your local drug store. You can use half of one to roll in the palms of your hands to form a thin rope or a tape and lay that on your Quattro cushion so that it forms a "pad" or "seal" between your face and the cushion. They work great to help form a better seal and one usually lasts for 2-4 nights.

Padacheeks makes some great - and pretty - cheek pads, forehead pads, hose covers, etc. They are SOFT and comfortable. www.padacheeks.com
I have been using my CPAP machine on and off for almost three years. I have never been able to keep it on all night long. I have occasional successful nights but I take it off while I am sleeping. There is an alarm that goes off when the mask is taken off, but I must be turning off the machine in my sleep. I have started taping the machine to my face and that helps, but I do still take it off. It is very frustrating.
mary, i wonder whether either reducing the pressure or cutting your leak rate down might help you tolerate keeping the mask on all night. is the mask uncomfortable? maybe a new mask is warranted. have you tried the swift LT for her by Resmed? a lot of women say they like it.

Mary Bogan said:
I have been using my CPAP machine on and off for almost three years. I have never been able to keep it on all night long. I have occasional successful nights but I take it off while I am sleeping. There is an alarm that goes off when the mask is taken off, but I must be turning off the machine in my sleep. I have started taping the machine to my face and that helps, but I do still take it off. It is very frustrating.
I don't think the pressure is too high. I'm only at a 7 and I've gained weight since then. In fact, I do think it is time for another sleep study to make sure my titration is still accurate. I will check out that mask you mention. (I also have a mild case of periodic limb movement disorder that might be interfering with things.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mike said:
mary, i wonder whether either reducing the pressure or cutting your leak rate down might help you tolerate keeping the mask on all night. is the mask uncomfortable? maybe a new mask is warranted. have you tried the swift LT for her by Resmed? a lot of women say they like it.

Mary Bogan said:
I have the same problems sleeping with my bi-pap machine as I do sleeping without it - I get all stuffed up and can't breathe and end up clawing at my mask to get it off. (I wear a full face mask.) Also, it leaves marks on my face until almost noon and I'm embarrassed. If I loosen it at all, it leaks. I've tried three masks with the help of the company rep and the one I use fits the best. The other two don't even come close. I sleep sitting up most nights and set my alarm to get a little horizontal sleep before I have to go to work. If I lay down very long, I get stiff and sore. I've tried three different mattress sets. In the recliner I don't hurt at all and sleep for several hours without waking up (without my machine). Is there any hope for me? My daughter worries about me and nags me all the time to use my machine.
Shelia, your getting your most comfortable sleep in a recliner is just reinforcing what you've already been advised. You NEED to use your xPAP. Which means your DME supplier has GOT to get off their duff and find the RIGHT mask for you. It may be that you would do better w/a hybrid style full face mask - or nasal pillows w/chin strap, or nasal cushion w/chin strap. The mask is THE KEY to successful xPAP therapy once your pressure need(s) have been established. Its YOUR health and YOUR therapy so you are just going to try pushing for more and better support from your supplier and sleep doctor.

Good luck!
Sleepycarol, WEIGHT and my cpap in my face. Know I'm 16lb liter my Cpap fells better and I got a Docter now. I go to tests Monday and I'm happer, not well but happer. Thanks to everyone because there letters or notes good or bad. I have a lot of thing still going on. With more sleep its been easyer to write and with my new glass too. G

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service