Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

Has anyone had this?  I am interested (since I am such a chicken when it comes to surgery)  Trying to find MD in Western part of North Carolina and so far no luck!

Views: 1975

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am holding you to it Mike!   If you are not right you have to buy me a drink:).

I have anxiety attacks in MRI's so I think I am worried this will cause something like that.  I will tell the "gas passer"  (anesthesia Doc) how anxious I am so he will know.  Thanks for your kind words, Mike.  I wish I could get the full face mask that I have to work so I could use it for a while post op but it did not work before so I know it won't now.  Thanks again!!!!

Mike C (STILL at the Beach!) said:

If you ever hear & believe a single WORD from me Ginny, You will breeze through it, even WITH stetns & packing if needed.  I swear with all I have left, NOBODY could have more fear than I did.  As "uncomfortable" as some of the days were in that 5 day period? I could breath EASIER with all that crap in my nostrils (both) than I ever could remember before..... I wanted to kiss my doctor even if she was a retire US Navy surgeon (female by the way!).....But my wife refused to let me.  

And sorry about your brother. When my 11 year old daughter was abducted, gang raped & her body dumped in the Arizona desert, I completely lost it so KNOW your pain. All these "things" add to our fears & apprehensions.  I had to quit my job with the Police Department and never again had any "real" profession but survived to meet my current wife of over 30 years and feel like the LUCKIEST man alive. Even with my nightmare of failed APAP and medical, combat & War nightmares and permanent disabilities, I wake up every single morning so happy I get tears in my eyes because of the woman I met in the middle of my tragedies. I used all this past horror when I had to face MY fears of this surgery. Use your worst experiences & pain to tell yourself this......NOTHING can ever be as bad as what I survived. NOTHING! Then smile to yourself, hug your loved one and KNOW,  you will be SO happy you had this done you won't believe it. And when you first open your eyes in post-op? FIRST thing you will even think is this. "I CAN BREATH"!  Even if you DO have stents & packing. I promise you this with all my heart & soul. Hold me to it. I give you my word.

I wouldn't advise taking the xanax before the surgery as it will complicate your anesthesia.

If  you need something now to help with the fear please ask your doctor.  It's never good to take a medicine prescribed for another person.  If you decide to take it in the days before surgery (please not that morning) google xanax and be sure you take an appropriate dose.

Good luck.

He said I could take it post op and would prescribe some if needed.  I told him I already had 4 or 5 tabs on hand. I won't take before~Promise!  I do hate general anesthesia!   I would feel better if I were going to ICU the night after surgery (right~insurance would really go for that) due to the apnea and not using the CPAP.  Thanks for advise~

Keep reminding yourself that it's 'normal' to feel anxious for everyone before surgery.  You're in the best hands possible and you'll not suffer unnecessarily post-op.  If you need something to calm you down it will be there, but the chances are that you won't as you are doing all you worrying now.  Therefore, it will be nowhere near as bad as you imagine.  We're all with you Ginny :)

Thank you, Kathy "from across the pond"!

Kath Hope www.hope2Sleep.co.uk said:

Keep reminding yourself that it's 'normal' to feel anxious for everyone before surgery.  You're in the best hands possible and you'll not suffer unnecessarily post-op.  If you need something to calm you down it will be there, but the chances are that you won't as you are doing all you worrying now.  Therefore, it will be nowhere near as bad as you imagine.  We're all with you Ginny :)

I have seen the "count" be wrong in the OR!!!    But my nose is not that large so I don't think they can loose anything. And I hope with his endoscope he can see well!!!  Not as nervous today but still dreading Monday night especially.

Mike C (STILL at the Beach!) said:

And another point Ginny.....As a nurse, you already KNOW they won't leave any surgical instruments or sponges inside your nose by accident!   :-)

Done yesterday, home today.  Not feeling nearly as awful as I thought.  Septoplasty done endoscopically, coblation of turbiantes, two stents and NO packing. On Keflex, Percocet (if needed) for pain, saline rinses.  Return for stent removal Friday.  On O2 until CPAP resumed, hopefully in 1 week or so (depends on comfort level)  MD feels my pressure will most likely be able to be reduced.  Now at 10.  He says he has seen 1 out of 8 apnea patients be able to end CPAP use after this (doubt I will be one of them) but it will be nice to have a less stuffy nose.  Surgery took 35 minutes.  Can take 1/2 to 2 percocet.  Took 1/2 and that is plenty.  I was comfortable in the hospital at night even though little sleep.  Had IV long acting Decadron during the surgery and I think this was and will keep me awake for a few days. Bed in the hospital was SSSO comfortable.  Wish I had it her!  ANyway, if this helps it has not been very bad so far.  

Great to hear, and what did I tell you?  It wouldn't be as bad as you feared!  How do I know?  Because all the things I spend time worrying about are never half as bad as I've made them in my mind.  It's the things I don't worry about that cause the problems :-D

Anyway, so glad it all went well and will be lovely hearing about how it's improved your OSA and/or pressure.  Who knows..... you might just be that 1 out of 8 ;)  Will watch this space....

Thanks Kathy.  Only problem right this minute is after I gently rinsed with saline I keep on sneezing and nose running.  Of course not allowed to blow my nose!

Kath Hope www.hope2Sleep.co.uk said:

Great to hear, and what did I tell you?  It wouldn't be as bad as you feared!  How do I know?  Because all the things I spend time worrying about are never half as bad as I've made them in my mind.  It's the things I don't worry about that cause the problems :-D

Anyway, so glad it all went well and will be lovely hearing about how it's improved your OSA and/or pressure.  Who knows..... you might just be that 1 out of 8 ;)  Will watch this space....

Surgery was Monday.  Today is Wednesday and I feel like crap.  No air through nose at all. Hope it improves soon.

Aw, poor you.... mine was different as had the packing in, but no stents.  Having the packing removed was dreadful with loads of blood loss, but felt clearer pretty quickly - especially after nasal douching.  Am sure it will get better soon.  Keep your chin up x

Hope so.  Saline does not seem to unplug it at all.  I am sure I am going to "love" having the stents removed Friday.  Such anticipation....I imagine pain!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service