Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
Does anyone currently take medications to help with excessive sleepiness? I have been on provigil for about 2 months now. I started off with 1/2 of a 100mg pill twice a day. Then I bumped up to taking 200mg a day. I'm currently taking 400mg a day. Still feeling fatigued. My doctor prescribed me Nuvigil (my copay was $45- I'll be looking to get reimbursed). Tomorrow is day one of 250mg of Nuvigil once a day.

Views: 20705

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jay, would you please explain what you mean a little better please.  Al drugs have side effects: all people do not suffer side effects.  When you mention NADH (I'll google it later), Yerba Mate and such it would be great if you would say a little more about them.  How much?  What time of the day?  What are the intended effects?  Are they relief for excessive daytime sleepiness? Do you suffer from EDS? None of us take Provigil or Nuvigil for fun.  We do it so we can safely go about our daily and working lives.  I just don't understand what you mean.  No offense intended, just an inquiring mind.  I'd love not to pay premium prices for Nuvigil. 

Jay Polatnick said:
Of course, this assumes you don't mind the possibility of
  • fever, sore throat, headache, and vomiting with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
  • bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness;
  • easy bruising or bleeding;
  • white patches

Your doctor DOES love you though because he's golf vacation tabs are usually picked up.  Consider NADH, B-12, Alpha Ketoglutaric Acid, Yerba Mate,  along with any exercise that moves your lymphatic system (i.e. rebounding)

www.nadh.com is a good start and a library of research is on that site.

Happy Easter
Mary Z said:

Jay, would you please explain what you mean a little better please.  Al drugs have side effects: all people do not suffer side effects.  When you mention NADH (I'll google it later), Yerba Mate and such it would be great if you would say a little more about them.  How much?  What time of the day?  What are the intended effects?  Are they relief for excessive daytime sleepiness? Do you suffer from EDS? None of us take Provigil or Nuvigil for fun.  We do it so we can safely go about our daily and working lives.  I just don't understand what you mean.  No offense intended, just an inquiring mind.  I'd love not to pay premium prices for Nuvigil. 

Jay Polatnick said:
  • fever, sore throat, headache, and vomiting with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash;
  • white patches

Your doctor DOES love you though because he's golf vacation tabs are usually picked up.  Consider NADH, B-12, Alpha Ketoglutaric Acid, Yerba Mate,  along with any exercise that moves your lymphatic system (i.e. rebounding)

Jay Polatnick said:

www.nadh.com is a good start and a library of research is on that site.

Happy Easter
Mary Z said:

Jay Polatnick said:
  • white patches

Jay- that link is a store!  You also mentioned at least three other things I asked for your knowledge about and you have not answered me.  Also you do not say if you have EDS.  I think if you do, it's germane to the discussion.  I think it's irresponsible to throw half the information out there.  Please take the time to expound on your statements.  Not meaning to be unpleasant, but give us the benefit of your knowledge and experience with these substances.  When we talk about Provigil and Nuvigil we are very precise as to doses and time of day and reasons behind their use as well as side effects.

Yes, it's a 'store'.....so is the pharmaceutical company that sells Nuvigil and Provigil.   They are just FDA approved for legal and political reasons.  Natural substances cannot be patented, although I believe there trademark brand is.   Also, they do not have any of the side-effects of pharmaceutical drugs.

As for me, I'm a 20 year military veteran, vaccinated with who knows what and umpty umph times, and who been exposed to who knows what.  I also suffer from OSA as well as the resultant CFS symptons.  Despite that, I work full-time and go to college part-time, so my methods are working just fine for me.  I will never buy into pharmaceutical solutions for health.  To me, it's just 'sickcare'.

Why are you not willing to give details of your methods? 

What doesn't have side effects of drugs?  Just be specific about your methods, please.

I immediately ingest 10mg of NADH upon waking, followed by 1.5 gms of a Glutamine, 500 mg combo, 250 mg of Perque L-Methionine, and 1 teaspoon of Perque Magnesium citrate.  My morning routine also includes about 20 minutes on a rebounder to lymphatic circulation.  Sorry, but back to schoolwork for now.......
Thanks.  That's what I was hoping to hear.  So many people just throw out information without giving specifics and I don't know where to start.  I really appreciate you expounding, Jay.

Just to add my 2 cents, I have used NADH, actually still use it, but find not much difference in my energy levels. I use only 5mgs, but at times have tried 10mgs but find no difference between the two. I just think when someone has insomnia, the longer you go without restorative sleep, the worse you get and it seems nothing works to help. You need help to sleep at night (yes I have tried and use 5-HTP, L-tryptophan, valerian, passionflower, melatonin to name a few), but they do very little for my sleep maintenance issues. And I am considering using Provigil or Nuvigil to try and help keep me awake during the day. And since I have started using the PAP machine, the exhaustion during the day is even worse.

It would be nice if nutriceuticals would actually work for everyone. I can give my sister the same supplements I take, and she gets knocked out. Not me, I don't even get drowsy. I just guess all our bodies are made up differently and are affected differently by substances.

But Mary, it would be worth a try to see if what Jay says works for you. It could.

I'm going to stick with what works for me.  The pharaceutical industry has been good to me (except $ wise)  I have Bipolar disorder, a bad back,  Essential Tremor and hypothyroid.  The drugs I take, in particular for Bipolar have literally saved my life.  I have spent a lot of money on nutriceuticals, but find they don't do the job for me.  With my Bipolar the depression part has driven me almost to suicide, the manic part into bankruptcy.  Under a doctor's care I get regular blood work and good supervision so I don't get into trouble with depression/mania or in trouble with too many pain meds ( I go to a pain management clinic where scripts are given monthly, pills are counted, and urine tests are done- are you using them or selling them). Nuvigil works for me with no side effects- I'm lucky that way- and I can go about my day and drive safely.  I have a Deep Brain Stimulator to control the tremor in my hands and arms and am given Botox quartly for a yes-yes head tremor that I found embarassing (once convinced a guy in Walmart to buy a fishing rod with my head bobbing up and down).  Medical science, including CPAP have made my life bearable.
That's certainly a case beyond my understanding, Mary Z.   All I have to add to this is that 'heavy metal toxicity', particularly from mercury and aluminum often go undiagnosed.  They contribute tremendously to neurological disorders of all sorts, but research from studies have been repressed for decades (www.mercurypoisoned.com for a good overview).
thought this thread should include a link to this discussion, where i meet Cephalon execs, makers of Provigil and Nuvigil:  http://www.sleepguide.com/forum/topics/cephalon-honors-sleep-apnea

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service