Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
I've got my 6 week follow-up on thursday and I need to know what I should be asking them. As it stands I can't manage a full night's sleep with my mask. I'm using a full-face and as I'm just about falling asleep my jaw relaxes so much it drops back a little and a leak occurs along the bottom of the mask. MY mouth doesn't really open when I sleep but that action makes a leak which wakes me up. On the few occasions I do get to sleep I normally wakes up after an hour or so and take the mask off.

So what should I be saying to the sleep study people?

Views: 290

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Okay,

Russ I understand now as you are not in the US, but the United Kingdom about the way things are handled differently. You may not have a choice on which masks are obtainable or not since you have to use a supplier the government provides.

If you must get your mask to seal -- try the Mack's silicone ear plug method. Roll a thin snake like roll out of ear plug, the Macks are soft and pliable. Put it on the outside edge of the mask where it touches your face and it should help conform to your facial features once the mask is put on. This may help the areas where your jaw slacks and the muscles in those areas sag a bit. You may also have to use a chin strap under your mask in order to keep your jaw from moving when asleep.
My jaw drops slightly if I sleep on my back (imagine a corpse in a coffin). If I lay on my side (as I sometimes do) my face has to be against something, whether it's my arm, the pillow or the bed and when it does come in to contact with something, the movement creates a small gap. To make the mask tight enough to stop the gap being creating means pulling it tighter than is comfortable.
Yeah, obviously I'm in the UK :)

Never heard of those types of earplugs, not sure you can get them over here either.

sleepycarol said:
Okay,

Russ I understand now as you are not in the US, but the United Kingdom about the way things are handled differently. You may not have a choice on which masks are obtainable or not since you have to use a supplier the government provides.

If you must get your mask to seal -- try the Mack's silicone ear plug method. Roll a thin snake like roll out of ear plug, the Macks are soft and pliable. Put it on the outside edge of the mask where it touches your face and it should help conform to your facial features once the mask is put on. This may help the areas where your jaw slacks and the muscles in those areas sag a bit. You may also have to use a chin strap under your mask in order to keep your jaw from moving when asleep.
just a suggestion to you. If you are a side sleeper then try this, I use a pillow that i pull up tight to my chest, i pullit up high enough that my chin rests firmly against it thereby helping to keep my mouth closed.
i hope this helps
Blessings
Robert
It doesn't HELP that I have a head like a cinder block. Sorry, I can't type to save my life.
They are sold in local supermarkets, pharmacies, many chain stores, etc. here. Try some of those places. Typically they are found near the pharmacy stuff or near the check out stands (at least here in the states).

I understand what you are trying to say about your jaw muscles and the mask leaking where the slight sag is. You don't want your mask so tight it hurts or is uncomfortable, and the reason for my suggestion on trying something that might work. Also, don't be afraid to experiment some with other stuff to try to get it to work. I have tried different things to get my therapy to work, some helped -- some were disasters. Until you experiment you don't know what may help you.

Also, make sure you have the right size mask -- it is possible a size smaller or size larger may help. Ask to see if the hospital can do a swap with the size to see if that helps.
Perhaps this is an overly simplistic suggest but how about letting your chin/jaw go limp when you put the mask on at night and adjust the straps accordingly so you have a good fit while in that position?

Good luck!
-Elissa-
Russ,
I am not sure what choices you might have in the UK. Perhaps you could look around on the web,to get an idea of what masks are on the market, then you could ask at your appointment if they are available to try. I would suggest starting with either nasal pillows or a nasal mask, and a chinstrap. You can look at the different masks at the manufacturers websites http://www.resmed.com/us/ or http://www.respironics.com/ for starters. also you can see reviews at http://cpapproreviews.com/ or http://cpapcritic.com . I hope this information is helpfull.
The way it works is each hospital department has a budget to spend on equipment. Out of principle I refuse to pay for treatment (that's what the NHS is for) and what they have provided me with so far seems to be ok. I'm not sure what other masks they have but I think my biggest hurdle is getting past the "I know best" attitude of the nurse in the sleep study department.
Well, I understand the principle of the matter - but I also know that I wasted 10 years w/no therapy because I was too bull-headed to pay out of pocket what insurance SHOULD pay for despite I could afford it. And what price your health?

That being said, the Mack's Silicone Ear Plugs suggestion is a good one. I've used them in the past w/other masks I had before I found the one that's working for me. I'm sure there is an equivalent in the UK. They are silicone (obviously) and are small oval spheres about 3/4 of an inch long, 1/2 an inch wide and maybe a 1/4 inch thick. Rolling one between your palms, the warmth of your palms softens them and shapes them into a thin rope or tape shape.

When dealing w/the "I know best" crowd, DIPLOMATICALLY remind Mr or Ms "I know best" that HE/SHE is NOT wearing the mask and trying to sleep w/it, YOU are and that YOUR tax dollars support the Nat'l Hlth Service and is there for YOUR healthcare. Ask WHY he/she took the position he/she is working if he/she isn't interested in providing the best care possible for his/her patients.

Like I said your healthcare isn't a "favor" these people are providing you. YOUR tax dollars are paying for it.

And as an aside - this whole thread could have gone a lot smoother IF you have been inclined to let us know you were in the UK.
Might be more productive if I say that my tax POUNDS are supporting the NHS ;)

To be honest with you it's almost unheard of to pay for treatment in the UK (unless someone chooses to go private in which case they "pay-as-they-use" or get some sort of medical insurance I think).

I'll look around for those types of plugs and hopefully I'll be better informed when I see them on thursday.
Good luck!!! Just keep remembering those tax POUNDS you are paying into the system to support NHS!!! And some diplomacy too. A little "sugar" can go a long way.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service