Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
I was diagnosed about a month ago and got a machine a week ago.  My sleeping since has been awful.  I have to use melatonin to get to sleep at all, then wake up a couple hours later and just lie there listening to the mask and myself breathing.  Does it get easier?  I feel noticeably worse than I did before I got the machine.  Pretty sad to get something that viciously expensive and it just makes your life worse than it was before.  Sorry, I'm just completely bummed out.  I had high hopes for this and now. . .

Views: 284

Replies to This Discussion

Donna, I have a question, I see that you use the Swift FX. Do you find that it is very noisy when you breathe? As I said in another post, I feel like I am sleeping with Darth Vader. All I hear is this horrible breathing noise almost all night. Thanks.

Donna B. said:

Hi Bex,

I have not used a full face mask yet, I have had good results with the nasal pillows. I used them at my first sleep study and they were comfortable for me. I asked for them when I got my own CPAP machine. I originally was using the F&P nasal mask but it didn't last that long (lots of leaks)  so I switched to the Swift FX for her and what a difference! Even though I have to switch it out every 4 months, it is far better than the F&P.

Mary, The only time I hear noise from my mask is when my headgear is to close to the pillow beside me or if the blanket is up over my shoulder and gets in front of it. Otherwise it is very quiet. if I am laying on my back I do hear a little noise from the air but not enough to bother me. My breathing is ok and not loud. Could you have a leak somewhere? I know you are sensitive to noises but the FX should not be loud. ???

Donna B.

Mary Callahan said:

Donna, I have a question, I see that you use the Swift FX. Do you find that it is very noisy when you breathe? As I said in another post, I feel like I am sleeping with Darth Vader. All I hear is this horrible breathing noise almost all night. Thanks.

Donna B. said:

Hi Bex,

I have not used a full face mask yet, I have had good results with the nasal pillows. I used them at my first sleep study and they were comfortable for me. I asked for them when I got my own CPAP machine. I originally was using the F&P nasal mask but it didn't last that long (lots of leaks)  so I switched to the Swift FX for her and what a difference! Even though I have to switch it out every 4 months, it is far better than the F&P.

Donna, when it leaks it is even worse. I guess I am just a light, light sleeper. I guess it is just me. : (

And I find I cannot sleep on my side or the mask leaks badly and then the nose is horrendous. Plus the straps hurt my cheekbones (I use a chin strap as well). I tried another mask, but to no avail. Wish there was a better way. Thanks.

Donna B. said:

Mary, The only time I hear noise from my mask is when my headgear is to close to the pillow beside me or if the blanket is up over my shoulder and gets in front of it. Otherwise it is very quiet. if I am laying on my back I do hear a little noise from the air but not enough to bother me. My breathing is ok and not loud. Could you have a leak somewhere? I know you are sensitive to noises but the FX should not be loud. ???

Donna B.

Mary Callahan said:

Mary,

I know I mentioned this before but I purchased the Contour pillow at my DME supplier and it is so comfortable. I can turn on my side and my headgear doesn't move or cause my mask to leak. It also helps keep my neck in alignment. I have degenerative disks in my neck so I am in constant pain and sleeping on my side was near impossible before I bought this pillow. It is expensive, but for me it was well worth it.

Do you have the FX for her (pink) or the regular one? You can get the pink covers for the cheek straps, they are very soft and won't leave marks like the rubber does. Have you tried loosening the straps just a tiny bit ? It shouldn't be so tight that it leaves indentations in your face.

Mary Callahan said:

Donna, when it leaks it is even worse. I guess I am just a light, light sleeper. I guess it is just me. : (

And I find I cannot sleep on my side or the mask leaks badly and then the nose is horrendous. Plus the straps hurt my cheekbones (I use a chin strap as well). I tried another mask, but to no avail. Wish there was a better way. Thanks.

Donna B. said:

Donna B.

Mary Callahan said:

I got a CPAP pillow from my DME and I believe it really has made a difference.  Both times that I have slept all night have been with that pillow.  The down side is the box is still there in the bedroom and, when I look at it, it looks like it says CRAP pillow!  Trust me, it isn't crap.  It's worth the sixty bucks or so that it costs.

Donna B. said:

Mary,

I know I mentioned this before but I purchased the Contour pillow at my DME supplier and it is so comfortable. I can turn on my side and my headgear doesn't move or cause my mask to leak. It also helps keep my neck in alignment. I h

LMAO Don,
Without my glasses I'd say you are right!! I love my pillow and yes it was worth the $$$$.

Don Dodge said:

I got a CPAP pillow from my DME and I believe it really has made a difference.  Both times that I have slept all night have been with that pillow.  The down side is the box is still there in the bedroom and, when I look at it, it looks like it says CRAP pillow!  Trust me, it isn't crap.  It's worth the sixty bucks or so that it costs.

Donna B. said:

Mary,

I know I mentioned this before but I purchased the Contour pillow at my DME supplier and it is so comfortable. I can turn on my side and my headgear doesn't move or cause my mask to leak. It also helps keep my neck in alignment. I h

Donna, my DME gave me the regular FX ), I guess he couldn't tell I was female! It does have gray covers, and I do use them. It's just that between the side straps and the chin strap, it is so thick on my cheeks, that I feel the bumps. I don't know if it leaves lumps on my since I cannot sleep on my side. After the first 4 hours on my back, I take off my mask and then go to sleep on my side. I sure wish I could sleep on my side and so try to keep the machine on all night.

I saw the Contour pillow at the DME place, but it looks so tiny that I can't imagine turning over without falling off the pillow. And as you said it costs such big bucks, so if it doesn't work I would be out a lot of money.

As it is I will probably have to buy my next face mask on my own, as my DME said the one I want is discontinued. I was looking into the Simplicity nasal mask, since the FX gives my nostrils a run for it. I have put moleskin under the nose part on the mask, but the nasal pillows annoy my skin and I have 2 pink spots under my nose from it. My acupuncturist noticed that the pink marks from the old chin strap are gone (I had to sew two different chin straps together to make it work), but that the nose ones are still there. And if only I could find one that is quiet. I really can't stand listening to my breathing all night.

And re the CRAP pillow that Don mentioned in his email, it's funny but I generally tell everyone I have to use a C-Crap machine because that is how I think of it. Maybe when the day comes and it actually helps me feel better, I may change my tune. This has been one of the hardest things I have ever gone through in my life, and still not felt better after it all.

I know I mentioned this before but I purchased the Contour pillow at my DME supplier and it is so comfortable. I can turn on my side and my headgear doesn't move or cause my mask to leak. It also helps keep my neck in alignment. I have degenerative disks in my neck so I am in constant pain and sleeping on my side was near impossible before I bought this pillow. It is expensive, but for me it was well worth it.

Do you have the FX for her (pink) or the regular one? You can get the pink covers for the cheek straps, they are very soft and won't leave marks like the rubber does. Have you tried loosening the straps just a tiny bit ? It shouldn't be so tight that it leaves indentations in your face.

Mary,

Have you looked on E-bay or Amazon for the pillow ? I thought I would fall off of it too but I don't. Maybe I have a small head in comparison :)   I put the Carmex on the outside of my nose and it helps with the redness and bumps.

I wish I had more answers for you, maybe Judy or Sleepycarol can give you some advice ???

Donna B.

Mary Callahan said:

Donna, my DME gave me the regular FX ), I guess he couldn't tell I was female! It does have gray covers, and I do use them. It's just that between the side straps and the chin strap, it is so thick on my cheeks, that I feel the bumps. I don't know if it leaves lumps on my since I cannot sleep on my side. After the first 4 hours on my back, I take off my mask and then go to sleep on my side. I sure wish I could sleep on my side and so try to keep the machine on all night.

I saw the Contour pillow at the DME place, but it looks so tiny that I can't imagine turning over without falling off the pillow. And as you said it costs such big bucks, so if it doesn't work I would be out a lot of money.

As it is I will probably have to buy my next face mask on my own, as my DME said the one I want is discontinued. I was looking into the Simplicity nasal mask, since the FX gives my nostrils a run for it. I have put moleskin under the nose part on the mask, but the nasal pillows annoy my skin and I have 2 pink spots under my nose from it. My acupuncturist noticed that the pink marks from the old chin strap are gone (I had to sew two different chin straps together to make it work), but that the nose ones are still there. And if only I could find one that is quiet. I really can't stand listening to my breathing all night.

And re the CRAP pillow that Don mentioned in his email, it's funny but I generally tell everyone I have to use a C-Crap machine because that is how I think of it. Maybe when the day comes and it actually helps me feel better, I may change my tune. This has been one of the hardest things I have ever gone through in my life, and still not felt better after it all.

Donna, I have looked and the few times I saw it, it was the same price as any other web that offers it. I have a small head, too, at least I think so. But I really felt I would fall off. Can I ask, when do you use the Carmex, when you go to sleep or when you wake up? From what I've read, you're not supposed to use any oils, etc. going to sleep or the mask will fall apart more quickly so to speak. And I do put moisturizer on it when I get up in the morning. Maybe I just need to build up some callouses!

Thanks for your advice and help. I am going to go to bed now, well at least getting up to start the whole process. Have to stop using the computer for at least an hour before bedtime. That damned insomnia!

Donna B. said:

Mary,

Have you looked on E-bay or Amazon for the pillow ? I thought I would fall off of it too but I don't. Maybe I have a small head in comparison :)   I put the Carmex on the outside of my nose and it helps with the redness and bumps.

I wish I had more answers for you, maybe Judy or Sleepycarol can give you some advice ???

Donna B.

I have a very large head.  Those one size fits most caps don't fit me.  The pillow works fine.  I put another pillow under to get my head higher as I have gotten used to sleeping that way due to GERD.  It's OK to worry about the money, but the pillow works, at least with my ResMed Mirage Micro nasal mask.  If I can keep the faith, so can you. 8-)

Mary Callahan said:

Donna, I have looked and the few times I saw it, it was the same price as any other web that offers it. I have a small head, too, at least I think so. But I really felt I would fall off. Can I ask, when do you use the Carmex, when you go to sleep or when you wake up? From what I've read, you're not supposed to use any oils, etc. going to sleep or the mask will fall apart more quickly so to speak. And I do put moisturizer on it when I get up in the morning. Maybe I just need to build up some callouses!

Thanks for your advice and help. I am going to go to bed now, well at least getting up to start the whole process. Have to stop using the computer for at least an hour before bedtime. That damned insomnia!

Yeah, C-Crap, Monster Mask, whatever you call it, I hate the darn thing!

Donna B. said:

Mary,

Donna B.

Mary Callahan said:

Mary & Don:

I know the pillow comes in 2 sizes, there is a larger size for those that need the extra coverage. Check out the ContourLiving.com website.

Mary:

I put a little Carmex on a few hours before I go to bed to give it time to absorb, then reapply when I wake up before my shower.

Bex:

Hang in there girl. I felt like you do in the beginning but I will not let this OSA beat me. !!!!

To All: 

I got a full 8 hours last night, when I woke up my mask was still on !!! (We are having a horrible ice storm here in Atlanta so I got to sleep in today :)

Donna B.

Mary Callahan said:

Donna B. said:

Mary,

Donna B.

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service