Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
It’s very strange. It feels very insistent when I first put it on – as if I can’t keep up with the level it wants me to breath. I thought that the "ramp" would help, but I find when I hit the ramp, it’s not ENOUGH air and I have to mouth breath. It takes getting used to for sure. My husband says I seem very comfortable and peaceful with it on while I’m sleeping. I have some difficulty getting the mask to sit comfortably on my nose, but once I do I can go to sleep.
I always wake up with it off. I seem to take it off after about 6-7 hours. The data on the machine says I’ve worn it 19 hours over the three nights.

I don't feel more rested, I just feel less tired. But still pretty tired.
Anne

Views: 279

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually I no longer think I'm getting a cold. I think the nasal congestion is part of my reaction to CPAP. My eyes and nose are not happy -- but the rest of me is doing well.
On to another night of therapy...Maybe I can go more than 6 hours tonight? I was almost there when my 15 year old son woke me to tell me he missed the school bus...
Good for you Anne!!!

If you can just go a little longer each night you will soon have it mastered. It is possible that if your cpap is new it is still "outgassing" and that could very well be where the congestion is coming from. You might try to use some eye drops prior to bedtime to help keep your eyes moist and take an antihistmine to see if that helps.

Give yourself a pat on the back for doing so well!! You deserve it!!
keep plugging away. you're doing extremely well!

Anne Pf said:
Actually I no longer think I'm getting a cold. I think the nasal congestion is part of my reaction to CPAP. My eyes and nose are not happy -- but the rest of me is doing well.
On to another night of therapy...Maybe I can go more than 6 hours tonight? I was almost there when my 15 year old son woke me to tell me he missed the school bus...
Outgassing??

sleepycarol said:
. It is possible that if your cpap is new it is still "outgassing" and that could very well be where the congestion is coming from. !!
When items are made with plastics they contain chemicals -- have you ever put up a new shower curtain and been overwhelmed by the "plastic" smell. What about the "new car smell"? That "new" smell is actually from the chemicals being released into the air from the chemicals that are used in manufacturing. Many "new" items have an odor that they give off until they have been exposed to the air for a period of time. Typically these "smells" do not cause reactions in people, but some are sensitive to them and they may experience anywhere from slight discomfort to life threatening issues (rare). I am sensitive to many of these "new" item smells but I typically just get a runny nose and maybe some eye discomfort. After a few days the symptoms go away.

See the following article for a better explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outgassing
Interesting.. well if that's the case it should go away soon.
I am sensitive to loads of things, but not usually smells. For me it's tactile; I touch things and break out in hives. In fact my hands have been broken out in hives since I started CPAP -- but that's not unusual for me, so I have not been paying attention.
My RT told me that my eyes might be more moist because I'm getting REM sleep. She says people's eyes need that movement and if you don't get it your eyes dry out. Sounds interesting but I have no idea if it's true.
Anne

sleepycarol said:
When items are made with plastics they contain chemicals -- have you ever put up a new shower curtain and been overwhelmed by the "plastic" smell. What about the "new car smell"? That "new" smell is actually from the chemicals being released into the air from the chemicals that are used in manufacturing. Many "new" items have an odor that they give off until they have been exposed to the air for a period of time. Typically these "smells" do not cause reactions in people, but some are sensitive to them and they may experience anywhere from slight discomfort to life threatening issues (rare). I am sensitive to many of these "new" item smells but I typically just get a runny nose and maybe some eye discomfort. After a few days the symptoms go away.
Outgassing. . . interesting. Hadn't heard of that concept before myself. I threw the term Outgassing up in our glossary in case anyone else asks.

sleepycarol said:

See the following article for a better explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outgassing
Tonight will be day 7.

My husband recently told my father in law about my sleep study and diagnosis. My father in law was quite amused; he said that sleep studies are all a big scam, and that of COURSE they gave me a diagnosis, so they could sell me a machine, and didn't I know that the machine they sold me does nothing but BLOW AIR? (And you have to admit that the last bit really is true..)

My mother thinks that CPAP makes the user look horrible and she thinks my kids are going to laugh at me.

*sigh*

I am glad my husband is supportive. I've told him that we're done discussing this with the extended family. There's no need for them to know any more about this.

I am having a kind of difficult time and I'm not sure if it's CPAP related. I just find myself feeling very anxious all day and at night I put off going to bed as long as possible. Once I realize I'm doing it, I go to bed, of course, but it's strange and it's not like me.

Today marks one week on CPAP. According to my machine I average 6.4 hours a night with an AHI of 0.9.

Anne
well of course you're feeling anxious about going to sleep at night with the cpap: your father in law and mother are suggesting you're a fool for trusting the sleep apnea diagnosis and the treatment recommended for it. It's difficult to have people around you who don't "get it." That's why it's even more important to come to places like this forum where you're surrounded by people who do get it, and who will be encouraging. As CPAP users in 2009, we're sort of pioneers. Sad but true. Ten years from now, not being treated for sleep apnea will sound as stupid to people as denying that smoking causes cancer. These things take awhile to settle into the public consciousness, but once they do, even uninformed people like your mother and father in law will being singing the same tune. You'll see.

Also, your numbers are fantastic! Keep it up!

Anne Pf said:
Tonight will be day 7.

My husband recently told my father in law about my sleep study and diagnosis. My father in law was quite amused; he said that sleep studies are all a big scam, and that of COURSE they gave me a diagnosis, so they could sell me a machine, and didn't I know that the machine they sold me does nothing but BLOW AIR? (And you have to admit that the last bit really is true..)

My mother thinks that CPAP makes the user look horrible and she thinks my kids are going to laugh at me.

*sigh*

I am glad my husband is supportive. I've told him that we're done discussing this with the extended family. There's no need for them to know any more about this.

I am having a kind of difficult time and I'm not sure if it's CPAP related. I just find myself feeling very anxious all day and at night I put off going to bed as long as possible. Once I realize I'm doing it, I go to bed, of course, but it's strange and it's not like me.

Today marks one week on CPAP. According to my machine I average 6.4 hours a night with an AHI of 0.9.

Anne
OK great..reading this I am not so worried about taking mine off near the time I am supposed to wake up anyway.

I have been on my machine now for 10 days...tonight will be night 11. I have no problem putting on and going to bed. I wake for a bathroom break and put it back on. BUT...I then wake up ONE MORE time...for another bathroom break (I gotta stop drinking so much iced tea and water for dinner!) and by that time I cannot put that thing back on. I usually go by time left for sleep. I wake up M-F around 6:45-7AM, so if I wake up at say 5AM or 430AM, I just dont bother putting the mask back on.

It is NOT easy...my face is kinda feeling sore now. I know I just have to keep at it...I know I fee a little better but yeah I am still a little tired and definitely LOVE my weekends when I can sleep in.
I suggest you try putting some Vicks vapor in your hunidifier, keeps the nose clear. Or put some under your nose before you put the mask on. I suppose you could put some on the mask itself, but haven't tried that.
John said:
I suggest you try putting some Vicks vapor in your hunidifier, keeps the nose clear. Or put some under your nose before you put the mask on. I suppose you could put some on the mask itself, but haven't tried that.

that is a good idea I will try that tonight. A little vicks wont hurt right?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service