Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
I'm struggling myself to get this under control.  how many others here are dealing with diabetes or pre-diabetes, and should we dedicate a section of the site to the topic?

Views: 268

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mike, I have been a borderline diabetic since I was a teenager and about 1998 I was diagnose with OSA , I most likely had OSA for many years before that and also my dad most likely had it also but they never knew about it back then. I also have a family history of diabetes on my dad's side of the family. and about 2001, I was diagnose with diabetes. They first tried pills but it did not work as well as i thought that they would. In Feb 2007 I was in a very bad accident and ended up with a brain injury along with a back injury which cased me to be disabled. I had another sleep study since I was having lots of problems sleeping. They found I was having lots of centrals so the Dr I had put my on a S/T I had lots of problems with it and tried for over 2 years till I finely gave up on him and went to a different Dr who works with people that have Complex SA and had a new sleep study with the used of a ResMed VPAP Adapt SV and found out that I did very good on it and with it showed no apnea's. I just got my ResMed VPAP Adapt SV two weeks ago and I am now getting a good nights sleep.. After my accident I had to go on insulin since the pills were not doing the job. I was having some better control but my AIC was still going up. I just had Dr appoint with my main Dr and she said that she felt that I might have to go on the Insulin pump to get a better handle on my diabetes since I was just like having type 1 with all the issues with the Complex SA and my issues from the accident and how the insulin was controlling it. What I have found is that you need to have a team of Dr's that are working together to get the best therapy for you. If you have a Dr that is giving you the run around then you need to go find someone else that will work with you and will not be closed minded. You really need a Dr that deals with Diabetes and one that deals with Sleep Study (not one that just does it on the side) and your Main family Dr that will work with all of them together to put the right plan in place with you being a part of that plan. There are some findings out there that are seeing a direct correlation with SA and Diabetes not sure what is causing what but their is a lot of people that has both then those who just have one or the other. My wife also has been diagnose with pre-diabetes and she had OSA also. Hope this helps some.
There have been news and reports on gastric bypass and how it was able to help maintain the sugar levels of diabetic patients. This weight loss surgery might also help in the treatment or you can talk with Arizona bariatric to discuss options.
Hello darlin...was diagnosed with gestational diabetes during my first pregnancy. I was told by the doctors that mine didn't go away...(1 out of 2 in 100 that this happens to). I am still type 2 diabetic on metformin (I also take this due to polycystic ovarian syndrome) as well as diet and exercise. I am fairly heavy, but as my medical issues even out, I get moving more. Hang in there...control will come eventually...
i enquired about health insurance and had a questionnaire list
one of the questions was are you diabetic
answer yes
because of a yes answer they said i have a bad heart

august just gone i had an ache around where my heart is and so ECG and diagnose ischemic heart but he wanted hospital confirmation, i failed a treadmill test and a further stress test was arranged and now i am awaiting for an angiogram

moral of the story is if you have diabetes get your heart checked out as well
i for one have diabetes,dealing with diabetes for the last 10 years, yes it would be a good idea to dedicate a section to this disease. just wanted to say i also have a problem sleeping without ambien. i know my doctor is going to want to take me off this sleep aid when i go back this coming tuesday but that would be a big problem, also struggling with my weight which is a big factor. if i could lose some weight it would help but being 65 years old it is not easy.
My fasting blood tests so far have not indicated pre-diabetes for me, however, as both my parents have/had Type II diabetes, I am very concerned to do what I can to prevent or delay this. In the past year (almost), since I was diagnosed with OSA/CSA, I have not been able to reduce my weight, but hope that once I get evened out with my energy level and schedule, I will be able to focus more on the nutrition and exercise changes required to make this happen. I believe it is best to take a gradual approach, making changes you can stick to permanently. It requires a lifestyle change as does cpap therapy, and as we know it is worth it, but not always easy. If you need to take a medication for a while, I think it would be worth it, knowing you are preventing damage to your body. You can always go off the meds if you are able to lose weight and manage your diet & exercise well enough to control it without meds.

If statistics are true, I think it could warrant a group on this site for those with both OSA and diabetes. I would certainly look at it and contribute what I could.

I also find the free website "Spark People" to be helpful in monitoring my nutrition and exercise; they recently added some ways for diabetics to monitor their regular tests along with everything else.

Mike - you certainly have the mind and skills to learn what you need to manage the pre-diabetes, as you have done with your OSA. In spite of that, we all need some support at times and a group with this focus could provide that, where others would not have to share that focus. There are probably many diabetics who do not know they have sleep apnea, so it might get more members in time than you would expect, as more people learn and get tested. I wouldn't want the "sleep" side of Sleep Guide to be overtaken but that is likely to take awhile. Although there are a few teams on Spark People for SDB, I have chosen not to join them, as I prefer Sleep Guide, which goes much more in depth on the subject, and I use Spark People to monitor and focus on nutrition and exercise. Either way, each person can choose what works for them.
"Research has shown that as many as 80 percent of white males with Type 2 diabetes also have sleep apnea" Article: http://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/2010/nov/15/monday-medical-sleep...

Anyone know where they get this statistic?

Rooster said:
An annual physical showed my fasting blood-glucose level was 108 and the doctor said there was a "little concern" about it. I bought a meter and began testing myself each morning. The level was consistently in the range of 105 - 110.

Over a two year period I watched the range slowly increase to 125 - 135. I consulted "off-line" with a doctor friend because I did not want a diagnosis of diabetes on my record for insurance purposes. The doc told me I would be diabetic within two years.

I began climbing our two local peaks three times per week. This was very strenuous exercise. At the same time I adopted a very low-carb/high-protein-and-fat diet. I lost 20 lbs. of body fat in a very short time and my fasting glucose level return to normal and now ranges 92 - 102.

I was getting stronger and eventually took up running the less rugged parts of the trails and speed hiking the steeper, more rugged sections. I was able to revert to a more normal diet with more carbohydrates and today eat a diet balanced with a reasonable ratio of protein/fat/carbs. I still am an avid trail runner and mountain climber and maintain a good BMI.

My lipid profile also improved dramatically to a healthy level. This included an increase in HDL to healthy levels from unhealthy levels.

Now I can eat "badly" several times per week (very large ice cream desserts are my favorite "sins") and my blood-glucose levels will still be normal.

In summary, there were three legs to my success: CPAP, regular strenuous exercise, and carb restriction. I consider CPAP the base without which the other two legs would not have been possible.
have you asked

Jane Dickinson

Monday Medical: Sleep apnea linked to diabetes
By Jane Dickinson/For the Steamboat Today Monday, November 15, 2010
Thanks everyone for all the encouragement and support. Rooster, your story is inspirational, and I will try to model my diet and exercise efforts on yours and get your results. I have posted more information about the start of my journey with Sleep Apnea and Diabetes here I invite all those interested in this subject to join the Diabetes Sleep Apnea Group

Rooster said:
An annual physical showed my fasting blood-glucose level was 108 and the doctor said there was a "little concern" about it. I bought a meter and began testing myself each morning. The level was consistently in the range of 105 - 110.

Over a two year period I watched the range slowly increase to 125 - 135. I consulted "off-line" with a doctor friend because I did not want a diagnosis of diabetes on my record for insurance purposes. The doc told me I would be diabetic within two years.

I began climbing our two local peaks three times per week. This was very strenuous exercise. At the same time I adopted a very low-carb/high-protein-and-fat diet. I lost 20 lbs. of body fat in a very short time and my fasting glucose level return to normal and now ranges 92 - 102.

I was getting stronger and eventually took up running the less rugged parts of the trails and speed hiking the steeper, more rugged sections. I was able to revert to a more normal diet with more carbohydrates and today eat a diet balanced with a reasonable ratio of protein/fat/carbs. I still am an avid trail runner and mountain climber and maintain a good BMI.

My lipid profile also improved dramatically to a healthy level. This included an increase in HDL to healthy levels from unhealthy levels.

Now I can eat "badly" several times per week (very large ice cream desserts are my favorite "sins") and my blood-glucose levels will still be normal.

In summary, there were three legs to my success: CPAP, regular strenuous exercise, and carb restriction. I consider CPAP the base without which the other two legs would not have been possible.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service