Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

Just been asked by a Twitter follower who has sleep apnea if it's normal to sometimes hold our breath whilst awake.  I do this sometimes and have queried it before with my GP who told me I'm more 'expert' than he is on these matters LOL, so in other words he didn't know.  My theory is that it could be a habit we've picked up due to it happening so often in our sleep.

Does anyone else notice this?

Views: 4361

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lisa B, I am glad to hear OSB is working well for you.  Would you mind detailing the symptoms that led you to try OSB?  Have you ever had a sleep study?

I was told some time ago there was an OSB practitioner in Richmond, VA.

Wow! I thought I was the only one that was fearful of going to sleep. It's become a real problem for me. Now to over come the issue!

Kath Hope www.hope2Sleep.co.uk said:

Interesting reply ZolliStar, as when I got my diagnosis and the consultant explained how sleep deprived I was, I asked him that if that were true, how come I went to bed really late?  His answer was "because your subconcious-self knows that sleep is a dangerous place to be for your body so has learnt to avoid it as long as possible."  Interesting theory eh?

ZolliStar said:

I can't say that I've noticed this BUT I do think it might be useful to practice good breathing habits while awake: The "experience" just might "transfer" to our night-time breathing.

I used to be really reluctant to go to bed at night. I actually felt a tad anxious. I now realize that this reluctance was probably because my unconscious knew -- even if my conscious didn't know -- that I would experience suffocation periods throughout the night.

I now welcome bedtime -- and it's been just a tad over six months of using my CPAP. I call that...progress! I suspect that my brain/body/unconscious got the message: I won't be suffocating periodically anymore. The before-CPAP reluctance may have been a form of protection.

But I may be reading too much in to this. ;- )

Mary, my story is on another (2010) discussion  "Oral Systemic Balance (dental device)" 

Mary Z said:

Lisa B, I am glad to hear OSB is working well for you.  Would you mind detailing the symptoms that led you to try OSB?  Have you ever had a sleep study?

I was told some time ago there was an OSB practitioner in Richmond, VA.

Lisa, is this the thread? 8/5/10. It's very long and it's late so I haven't gone through it yet.

http://www.sleepguide.com/forum/topics/oral-systemic-balance-dental...

Marcia, 

Please keep in mind that OSB is a process. Like a CPAP you have to be willing to invest the time to get the adjustment correct and return for an adjustment if things change.... and our bodies do change as we age.  I just didn't want you to think this was an order and pick it up process. Your participation, and honest feedback will be important to the success.  If you have watched the videos Dr. Lawler posted, you will notice the surprise patient's experience when nearly immediate changes occur.  Their smiles don't just come from the physical relief, but there is also an emotional lift. Sleep deprivation is an emotional journey.  Don't second guess the emotions that occur when you are lifted out, smile and enjoy life again.

Marcia Herman said:

Thanks Lisa. I also found Dr Whitley but I didn't find Dr Strauss. Virginia isn't too far from South Carolina and there are two there; interesting. Still haven't heard back on my doctor location requests. I knew Dr Lawler is from Indiana but that's probably kinda far for me to go. LOL

I've watched some of the videos and know it's not a one-shot deal. The reality is that traveling back and forth from SC to VA is a bit easier than traveling SC to IN. We do have an RV so we can spend some time there during the tryout period if I decide to go for it. I know the device itself is made in WA state so the initial visit is for creating the mold and that a return trip is necessary for actual fittings and adjustments.

How many visits did you make? Can you give us a ball park figure of what your costs were?

Lisa B said:

Marcia, 

Please keep in mind that OSB is a process. Like a CPAP you have to be willing to invest the time to get the adjustment correct and return for an adjustment if things change.... and our bodies do change as we age.  I just didn't want you to think this was an order and pick it up process. Your participation, and honest feedback will be important to the success.  If you have watched the videos Dr. Lawler posted, you will notice the surprise patient's experience when nearly immediate changes occur.  Their smiles don't just come from the physical relief, but there is also an emotional lift. Sleep deprivation is an emotional journey.  Don't second guess the emotions that occur when you are lifted out, smile and enjoy life again.

Marcia Herman said:

Thanks Lisa. I also found Dr Whitley but I didn't find Dr Strauss. Virginia isn't too far from South Carolina and there are two there; interesting. Still haven't heard back on my doctor location requests. I knew Dr Lawler is from Indiana but that's probably kinda far for me to go. LOL

Ouch, I was afraid you would ask about price.  I understand your desire to know is related to the decision to travel / investigate if this type of therapy is right for you. But until the OSB practitioner can evaluate your individual situation, the "ball park" figure could grossly misrepresent what you may actually find out upon your evaluation. It is my understanding that each certified OSB practitioner sets their own price.  I am not sure if some include all or partial follow up adjustments and therefor price the device accordingly.  I wear a lower, daytime device which is less costly than the night device for sleep apnea.  I am going to invest in the night device in Feb. I have referred several friends to the OSB process and each experience has been rewarding to watch. It really comes down to how much do you value quality of life.  Exercise, Chiropractic's, reflexology, herbs, muscle relaxers, CPAP may work miracles for some people.  But for those of us that the benefits of these are short lived, there is a reason why we don't heal like others.  My household income definitely falls into the middle income to "how the heck are we going to pay for that" area. I am only 45 years old with teenagers and many years of work left, this is an investment to 1. lower future health care expenses 2. prevention of years of marital therapy$$, 3. allows me to return to school, work, and potentially increase my earnings.

Before OSB the "writing was on the wall" for my future health, lack of healthy family life, and potential to physically keep working.

Even after purchasing both devices, it will pay for itself.  You don't have to trust someone you don't know, but you can't go wrong by taking a little road trip to check this out.... even without the ball park figure.... which IS like Dr. Lawler said, "significantly lower than that old number circulating the internet".  Write down ALL your questions and take the list with you. Please let me know what you decide.  I'm addicted to success stories.

Marcia Herman said:

I've watched some of the videos and know it's not a one-shot deal. The reality is that traveling back and forth from SC to VA is a bit easier than traveling SC to IN. We do have an RV so we can spend some time there during the tryout period if I decide to go for it. I know the device itself is made in WA state so the initial visit is for creating the mold and that a return trip is necessary for actual fittings and adjustments.

How many visits did you make? Can you give us a ball park figure of what your costs were?

Lisa B said:

Marcia, 

Marcia Herman said:

I did some googleing on the cost of OSB on the Internet and all the prices I found quoted were surprisingly reasonable.  Like 2000 +/-..  Certainly not what I had heard. Maybe that is way off the mark, but the one price I ever heard a OSB user quote was much more than that, but maybe I'm rembering wrong. I think we need to remember that when this device is prescribed properly it is great, but read the web site carefully to see if it is indicated for your symptoms. 

I found this. It clearly outlines what was done and some prices - under $10,000 to $23,000. It shows photos of the devices too. Of course, the price may be lower or higher than what's been posted.

FWIW, I still haven't gotten any dentist info via email or the "Contact" area of the main website. Guess it's time to pick up the phone.

seriously????while i have found tremendous response with oral appliance therapy, and do note that patients spontaneously will position forward as we deprogram the muscles....10K+ for this therapy.   sorry but this appliance is of the same basic design of the herbst, no magic there.  while i applaud the good doctors effort in treating sleep and fibro, buy the connections etc, there was no mention of occlusion types ie:chronic posterior displacement, cone beam ct to evaluate for potential osteo arthritic joints  i could go on for hours.  there is no panacea.  i am glad the patients got better, but would love to see some data not anecdotal testimonials.  much like mccarty the chiropractor in colorado who "cures "tmj issues with his massive adjustments.  you can't change anatomy if there is a constricted arch, massive tori, and the multitude of predisposing factors that contribute to sleep issues, not to mention neurolgical disorders.  i will do  a bit more homework on this one.  for now, i just don't buy it.  this is my opinion only.  do your own research and good luck.  tim mickiewicz

Marcia Herman said:

I found this. It clearly outlines what was done and some prices - under $10,000 to $23,000. It shows photos of the devices too. Of course, the price may be lower or higher than what's been posted.

FWIW, I still haven't gotten any dentist info via email or the "Contact" area of the main website. Guess it's time to pick up the phone.

Yep, seriously, that's what it says! I'd be interested in a "way under $10,000" amount.

FWIW, I'm having a first visit on Wednesday with a local dentist who states that he's had recent training in sleep dentistry; I have no idea what that would be. I'm actually going in for a cleaning but I do want to pick his brain about what he's doing and what he knows. It would be great to try a much less expensive appliance first! I know my throat closes and that my tongue seems to be "in the way" a lot. I probably have TMJ or something that causes right jaw clicking when I chew.

Would you be able to point to an URL or two that would explain what you just wrote? I like what you've pointed out but I don't have a clue what it all means. I'd really appreciate it.

You can try aadsm.org. Or oasys.org. Or just google. There are many ways to skin a cat! Sleep training could be a weekend course or years of study. I teach and also hep train physicians for a major university. I teach basic keep yourself out of trouble ad know your limits. I work with close to 1000 physicians And have treated 10000 tmj cases and over 1000 sleep. Docs refer to me for a reason. While we all have to start somewhere the learning curve is huge. Tell your new guy to be real careful treating sleep unless he can get your joint settled down. I'm not a fan of neuromuscular dentistry and bells and whisles. Conservative is best. There are very few ddswith a ton of experience. Make sur he has done his homework. Gets good records aNd has more than one trick up his sleve. I wold be glad to give a hand. Gratis. He may be brilliant and I learn when. I teach. Good luck. An appliance should be under 2K including adjustment. If it is sgs sk if it is outsourced. If full breath appliance ????????????? TM

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service