Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

Gastric Insuflation when sleeping on side, not on back

Anyone have any idea what to do about suffering gastric insuflaction on one's side, but not on one's back?  I land up taking my mask off after the first 4 hours of sleep, since I cannot keep sleeping on my back all night. Once I turn over while still using my mask I get awful gas and bloating. So I take off my mask so I can sleep on my side.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.  Thanks.

Views: 1019

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Elaine, I am glad I am not the only one! And the useless sleep doctor had no idea either. And if it was GERD it would happen on my back as well, not just on my side. A sleep technician said it could be the pressure. But then again, why only on the side and not on the back!!! Nothing makes sense with these darn masks and machines. It is so frustrating sometimes. Especially for those of us with mild sleep apnea. Maybe I should give it up and check back in a few years to see it my apnea progresses to moderate or severe. Then at least there would be a better reason for all the aggravation!

Elaine Hetman said:
I have the same exact problem.  I have just been sleeping on my back.  Would love to know why it only happens on my side as well.
My apnea is mild as well.  I am trying to hang in there for now, but it is really hard getting all the kinks worked out of the system.  My gas/air intake was so bad one night, I was scared.  It can't be good for you to have your system pumped up like a balloon!  Also after about 5 hours the bridge of nose is throbbing.  The fun just never ends.  I see my doctor again in month and hope to get some answers. 
To tell you the truth, after the first 4-5 hours on my back, I take off my cpap so I can turn over and sleep without the awful gas. For my insurance to pay for the cpap machine, I only have to have 4 hours a night compliance. So considering my apnea is only mild, and that I am such a light sleeper (really bad insomnia), and that if I keep the machine on and turn over I am in enormous pain--I just give up and take off that darn machine. I am in compliance and at least I get a good 4-5 hours with the machine on every night. I feel I am still ahead of the game. If my apnea was severe, don't know what I would do.

Elaine Hetman said:
My apnea is mild as well.  I am trying to hang in there for now, but it is really hard getting all the kinks worked out of the system.  My gas/air intake was so bad one night, I was scared.  It can't be good for you to have your system pumped up like a balloon!  Also after about 5 hours the bridge of nose is throbbing.  The fun just never ends.  I see my doctor again in month and hope to get some answers. 
Hey I do the same thing.  I take it off about 4 or 5am and spend the next hour or two sleeping like a normal person.  It is a real luxury:)  I am also a light sleeper and have suffered from insomnia.  I also have some "bladder issues" so I have to disconnect and reconnect a couple of times a night.  I am trying to be optimistic and hope I can adjust to all this mentally and physically.  Thanks for listening.
I too have had bladder issues. Mostly due to pain, so I would get up and go mostly to relieve the pain. Finally went to a urologist this past year who prescribed vaginal valium. Best thing I ever took. Couldn't believe how it has cut down on the pain. Didn't even realize how much pain I was putting up with until it was almost totally relieved. I still get up once and sometimes 2x a night, but at least it is no longer 4-6 times. I think without the pain I can sleep longer now. I think the pain would get me up. Something you may want to discuss with your doctor. If you need more info just let me know.

Elaine Hetman said:
Hey I do the same thing.  I take it off about 4 or 5am and spend the next hour or two sleeping like a normal person.  It is a real luxury:)  I am also a light sleeper and have suffered from insomnia.  I also have some "bladder issues" so I have to disconnect and reconnect a couple of times a night.  I am trying to be optimistic and hope I can adjust to all this mentally and physically.  Thanks for listening.
Never heard of this "special valium".  I have been referred to an incontinence clinic (haven't called them yet).  But I will look into this myself and see what it is all about.  The pain is searing sometimes and I am tired of complaining. Thanks!

Mary Callahan said:
I too have had bladder issues. Mostly due to pain, so I would get up and go mostly to relieve the pain. Finally went to a urologist this past year who prescribed vaginal valium. Best thing I ever took. Couldn't believe how it has cut down on the pain. Didn't even realize how much pain I was putting up with until it was almost totally relieved. I still get up once and sometimes 2x a night, but at least it is no longer 4-6 times. I think without the pain I can sleep longer now. I think the pain would get me up. Something you may want to discuss with your doctor. If you need more info just let me know.

Elaine Hetman said:
I get the vaginal valium suppositories thru Stokes Compounding Pharmacy in NJ. They ship it anywhere in the US I believe. I get it here in NY. But there are other compounding pharmacies who do it as well. One good one I keep reading about is Dakota Pharmacy in Florida. You will read on the internet that some people have trouble using it, but my guess is their doctor has put other meds in the suppositories and this may be the cause of their discomfort. I have been using it for about 5-6 months now, and have had absolutely no discomfort whatsoever--just pain relief. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Elaine Hetman said:
Never heard of this "special valium".  I have been referred to an incontinence clinic (haven't called them yet).  But I will look into this myself and see what it is all about.  The pain is searing sometimes and I am tired of complaining. Thanks!

Mary Callahan said:

Elaine Hetman said:
No one has mentioned this aspect- I have terrible areophagia which causes excessive burping  and gas but its unavoidable. I do have  GERD tx with Nexium but I don't think it has anything to do with it. My pressure with my ASV-Bipap for complex sleep apnea is very high and I can't help but swallow a lot of air. I figured its just part of the territory and I just have to live with it as an another aspect  of sleep apnea therapy that I hate! Its very much a love/hate thing for me. I hate it but I'm also grateful because it keeps me alive!
I have he same problems. I have spent weeks working with mine. What I have some up with is that I am swallowing air and it turns into gas as it builds up in your system. Best answer.....!!!!
I've never had that problem, but I know someone that did. It turns out in his case that his pressure was set way to high. He had another study done and they lowered his pressure. That cured the problem.

Just searching the net for you and I found a few links that discuss it:

http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37517&sid=f42fd...

I am delighted to say that after being prescribed an Auto-titrating machine I no longer suffer from the gastric insufflation.  (this comment from:  http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/how-can-i-eliminate-aerophagi...)

Mary,

I suffered with the exact same issue when I first started using a cpap. My initial titration was a setting of 15. For the first couple of weeks I would even get bloating when sleeping on my back, but really miserable when I turned on my side. My body eventually accepted the change and it would not effect me when on my back. I eventually purchased a auto CPAP and software to see what my pressures were doing through the night. I observed that my apneas and periodic breathing were more frequent on my back and the pressure increased to compensate for the events. I never could get below a AHI of 12. I set the pressure range of my Auto CPAP from 8 to 18 and forced my self go to sleep on my side and stay on my side through the night with great success finally. After I started doing this the auto pressure remained low 8 to 10 and my AHI dropped to 1.5. The next day I immediatedly noticed the difference and finally am getting the benefits of the CPAP. I still get some minor bloating but you will get use to it. Good Luck

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service