Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

I just recently went on vacation with 18 other people.  Four of us are diagnosed with Sleep

Apnea.  I decided to try and talk to everyone about their machines and compliance.  Three of us use our machines regularly and one has put it in the closet.  No one else knew anything about the settings on the machine or had any interest in seeing/tracking their own data. Everyone, except the woman who is not using hers brought their machine on vacation.  I did not get to talk to the woman not using hers any more about why.  Her roommate told me she was not using it, but before I could ask her why, she got a message that her 57 year old brother had died in his sleep and she went home.  I don't know why her brother died, or if he had OSA.

Views: 1509

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Plane, train, boat, car....it's always with me. Yeah, it can be a hassle, but I've become quite fond of breathing at night. :-)
Thanks, Chris.
Mary Z.

Chris Larsson said:
I experimented at home and the 100 amphour marine battery lasted about 2 weeks. Of course, how long it lasts
My machine goes everwhere I go. Why wouldn't you want to get a good night sleep when you are away from home?
Took my recently acquired BiPap during my trip to camping in Yosemite. Worked just fine. Had to be careful with dust in housekeeping tents, though. Will always keep it w/ me on long trips going forward. It's portable.
well you left it WIDE OPEN when you titled it.. " CPAP use-On Vacation " survey"...so I am sure everyone is simply
contributing if they take them..continue to use them.etc. when traveling or on vacation...that is why I left my opinion
of my own personal use while traveling.
///(*,*)\\\

Mary Z said:
The topic actually started not as a question, but as a simple observation of the four people I know who are CPAP (including me), if they regularly use their machines, and how much they know about accessing their data and are they interested in doing so. What I found that out of 4 people prescribed CPAP only one did not use it, but the other two did not concern themselves with nightly data. I included myself iin my survey and I am 100% compliant and regularly check my nightly data.

Paul R said:
Frankly, I don't understand the question. As someone whose life was changed the second he started using CPAP, I can't empathize with fellow >
Sheila, I sure did leave it wide open and it has turned out to be a really interesting thread. It is heartening to see how many people just won't sleep without their machine, hauling it cross country, globally, and camping (in my opinion, the hardest of all). it's very gratifying to see so many positive responses, and so many responses to this discussion. I thank everyone for contributing. I think it's easy to get complacent, like my friend who has her CPAP in the closet- and that's not only on vacation- she has simply given up on therapy.

Sheila Knowles said:
well you left it WIDE OPEN when you titled it.. " CPAP use-On Vacation " survey"...so I am sure everyone is simply
contributing if they take them..continue to use them.etc. when traveling or on vacation...that is why I left my opinion
of my own personal use while traveling.
///(*,*)\\
Hello Chris,

What type of PAP device are you using and what is your current pressure? Are you using any pressure release on exhalation? If the heated humidifier was used, what setting was it set at? I would be curious to know as all of these items will have an impact on how long the battery will last!

Mary Z said:
Thanks, Chris.
Mary Z.

Chris Larsson said:
I experimented at home and the 100 amphour marine battery lasted about 2 weeks. Of course, how long it lasts
I sell it in the UK, but you'll get it much cheaper in the US here from the manufacturer http://tinyurl.com/2ur3ljo and he sells it on Ebay too.

DeanAnn Collier said:
I heard that there is a medical tag you can get to put on the case especially for airport travelers. I saw it once but haven't looked into just yet.

Larry Bruck said:
I bring my CPAP machine on vacation with me. I also have a brief encounter with airport security, but it is always better to have it with me.
Super Cpap Battery Pack BPS-C222
[BPS-C222] Their Price
$430.00 Our Price
$399.00

Super Cpap Battery Pack BPS-C222

Link to ResMed S8 Super Battery Pack BG-C222

* Model: BPS-C222

Designed specifically for most popular CPAP machines, the BPS C222 allows people with Sleep Apnea to rest easy anywhere in the world. Stop searching for an AC wall outlet and rearranging hotel furniture to position the bed within reach of a wall plug.

AIR TRAVEL: The lightweight BPS C222 is small enough to take on a night time flight and powerful enough to keep CPAP machines running throughout long international flights. The leather travel case and international AC charger makes an ideal travel companion.

OUTDOOR RECREATION: The ultra high capacity BPS C222 ensures a full night’s sleep on your next wilderness expedition. Outdoor enthusiasts can finally play hard and sleep soundly after a day of hunting, fishing and hiking through the forest. With enough power to last two nights away from civilization, the BPS C222 offers CPAP users freedom to experience new adventures on the road.

BLACKOUTS AND BAD WEATHER: Even at home, bad weather and blackouts can turn a peaceful slumber into a restless night of insomnia. Be prepared for a blackout and wake up refreshed the next morning. The BPS C222 comes standard with smart chargers that keep the battery topped off and ready to go as an emergency power backup.

* Description: Universal CPAP Battery Pack
* CPAP Battery Chemistry: High capacity, premium grade Lithium-ion cells
* CPAP Battery Case: Aluminum alloy scratch resistant shell
* CPAP Battery Protection: Built in circuitry protection against thermal run-away (overheating).
* CPAP Battery Capacity: 222Wh(watt hours)
* CPAP Battery Output Voltage: 12V
* CPAP Battery Output Current(Max): 8A
* CPAP Battery Gauge: Five Stage charge level indicator (low charge alarm)
* CPAP Battery Charge current: 2500mAh
* CPAP Battery Runtime: up to 25 hours depending on CPAP machine and pressure settings.
* CPAP Battery Recharge time: 5-6 hours
* CPAP Battery Standard Accessories are shown in the above picture.
* CPAP Battery Compatibility: Powers CPAP machines as well as other devices such as portable DVD players which require a 12V power source.
* CPAP Battery Dimensions: 9.8 inches long by 5.9 inches wide by 1.3 inches thick
* CPAP Battery Weight: 4.0 pounds
* CPAP Battery Warranty: 1 Year
* CPAP Battery Certifications: CE, EMC

Estimated CPAP Battery Usage Chart

CPAP(Usage Time in Hours)
(18.5 amp/hours)
Pressure............Ave Hours
(cm/H2O)
4........................25 Hrs
7....................... 18.8 Hrs
10......................14.3 Hrs
13......................12.1 Hrs
16......................10.5 Hrs
20......................9.8 Hrs

BIPAP(Usage Time in Hours) (18.5amp/hours)

Pressure.............Ave Hours
(cm/H2O)

8/4........................25.6
10/6......................18.8
12/8......................17.4
14/10....................16.1
16/12....................14.6
18/14....................12.5
20/16....................11.3
22/18....................9.0
24/20....................7.1

CPAP Battery Important Notes

* CPAP Battery package includes a DC adaptor that will work with Respironics M Series machines. The included adaptor cannot be used with ANY other machine type.
* When purchasing, please select your machine type for the additional DC adaptor.
* Using this CPAP battery with an inverter will greatly reduce the usage times specified above.
* All CPAP battery times are estimates only. Multiple factors will affect usage times.
* These CPAP batteries do not have to be completely discharged before recharging
* This CPAP battery is NOT recommended for Legacy Respironics REMStar BiPAPs.
* The Respironics Bipap AVAPS Model 1029744 requires the use of Respironics DC Power Cord Part Number 1012975
* IMPORTANT: This battery will ONLY work on CPAP devices that can use DC power. The CPAP device must have a 12V barrel connector, and be capable of using a DC adaptor cable from the PAPs manufacturer.
* Does your CPAP not have a DC connector, such as the Fisher & Paykel models? You can also use our power Inverter to plug directly into the battery and use your standard AC power cord on the PAP to plug right into the battery. However, using the inverter will reduce your usage times by up to 33%.
* Addendum to user manual: After charging the battery, hold the battery test button for 30 seconds or until the test lights display. This will activate the battery for use.

Is the external battery packs already compatible with international usage?

Yes, the external battery pack is already compatible with international use, and you do not need a voltage converter with any of our battery products. In fact, we do not recommend using a voltage transformer with our battery packs, because All of our battery models will accept most foreign voltages.

AC Input: 100-240VAC; 47-63hz

However you may need an adapter plug to allow the US style power cord to plug into a foreign wall outlet. In case you don't already have a wall outlet adapter, we also sell on our online store.

* All Power Pack run times vary depending upon device type, pressure settings and altitude. Use of the 150 or 300 Watt Sine Wave Inverter or a humidifier will significantly reduce the expected run time.

TSA: Transportation Security Administration
Traveling with Cpap

Traveling with Batteries

Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions

If you would like to use your Cpap on the flight, you will need a letter from your physician stating that it is medically necessary. Many airlines have their own forms for the physician to fill out. You should contact the airline prior to booking your flight to find out what their requirements are for using the Cpap.

Some airlines allow passengers to use their CPAP in flight, but some do not.

The following checklist will help you in preparing for your travel abroad:
* Carry a letter from your doctor certifying your need for CPAP treatment.
* Obtain approval from the airline’s Medical Services for use on the flight.
* Arrange seating close to a power source on the aircraft.
* Confirm the type of power cord or adapter required by the aircraft.

* Dimensions 9.8" x 5.9" x 1.3"
* Weight 4.0 lbs.
* Recharge Time 5-6 hours
* Warranty: 6 months

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CONNECT THE POWER PACK DIRECTLY TO THE CIGARETTE LIGHTER.

009 said:
Hello Chris,

What type of PAP device are you using and what is your current pressure? Are you using any pressure release on exhalation? If the heated humidifier was used, what setting was it set at? I would be curious to know as all of these items will have an impact on how long the battery will last!

Mary Z said:
Thanks, Chris.
Mary Z.

Chris Larsson said:
i have become quite fond of breathing 24 hours a day every day

Lynette said:
Plane, train, boat, car....it's always with me. Yeah, it can be a hassle, but I've become quite fond of breathing at night. :-)
I just returned from vacation in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. I did take my CPAP and I am a newly diagnosed OSA person. I used it very night while I was there. I did use bottled water for the humidifier.

Quick question though, how long before I notice a difference in the way I feel? I do sleep better, but do not have this newfound energy level yet. It has only been 4-5 weeks on the CPAP.

Thanks!
I have always taken my CPAP machine with me on vacations. I've flown with it and the airports know exactly what it is and let you carry it on without counting it. I've also taken it on Amtrak. Gone camping with it too. The only thing I don't do is use it for naps, but am considering using it then because sometimes my naps are longer than normal. Whether it's just a weekend getaway or full blown vacation, it's one of the first things I pack!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service