Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

Zeo Sleep Monitor, does it work? ( not a pitch)

I keep seeing this on TV, now on the sidebar of this site.  So I took a look at it and am wondering what the thoughts of forum members are about it.  Obviously, the sensor that goes on the forehead will be an issue for masks with the part that rests there

Views: 1751

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi All,

My name is Paul and I work with Derek at Zeo. He's away at a wedding for the weekend so I apologize for the delay in response.

I must say - this is a great conversation and I'm glad that you are all taking time to scrutinize the potential value and use of Zeo. We definitely welcome critical thinking about our product. In the same vein, I certainly can appreciate any skepticism related to corporate sponsored research. Hopefully, as time goes on, we'll see some independent studies regarding Zeo.

That being said - we strive to be based in science. Jeff has already posted links to the abstracts on our website (thanks!). I would also point you to our Scientific Advisory Board. It is comprised of some of the thought leaders in relevant fields. The members have all worked with us to provide guidance and insight along the way. You can view a list of its members here http://www.myzeo.com/pages/52_for_health_professionals.cfm

Again, as Derek already said, we do offer a 30-day money back guarantee (excluding shipping) which hopefully afford a good opportunity to try Zeo out for yourself.

If you have any questions, please feel free to post them here or to shoot either me or Derek an email, and we'll respond after the weekend.

Thanks again,

Paul
paul@myzeo.com
Paul, thanks for posting. Lots of discussion, and links. However, I haven't seen a simple answer to my previously posted simple question.
I'll ask again: Does it accurately detect and graph the different sleep stages and duration of time spent in each stage?

Thanks for considering clearing this up, it may be just what your product needs.

Matt

Derek@Zeo said:
Hi All,

My name is Paul and I work with Derek at Zeo. He's away at a wedding for the weekend so I apologize for the delay in response.

I must say - this is a great conversation and I'm glad that you are all taking time to scrutinize the potential value and use of Zeo. We definitely welcome critical thinking about our product. In the same vein, I certainly can appreciate any skepticism related to corporate sponsored research. Hopefully, as time goes on, we'll see some independent studies regarding Zeo.

That being said - we strive to be based in science. Jeff has already posted links to the abstracts on our website (thanks!). I would also point you to our Scientific Advisory Board. It is comprised of some of the thought leaders in relevant fields. The members have all worked with us to provide guidance and insight along the way. You can view a list of its members here http://www.myzeo.com/pages/52_for_health_professionals.cfm

Again, as Derek already said, we do offer a 30-day money back guarantee (excluding shipping) which hopefully afford a good opportunity to try Zeo out for yourself.

If you have any questions, please feel free to post them here or to shoot either me or Derek an email, and we'll respond after the weekend.

Thanks again,

Paul
paul@myzeo.com
Matt I don't know that anyone here can answer that question. There was someone who bought a Zeo, but it looks like she's off the forum or she would have answered. Unless a professional is allowed to use it in the lab and compare the data I don't think we well ever know if the sleep cycles correspond. My understanding of the product is that it is meant to teach you to sleep better, by pointing out problems with your sleep cycle and giving advice on how to improve that. Can you afford to buy one on the 30 day guarantee, test it out yourself? I know you won't have that scientific correlation, but you could find out if indeed it helped you to have better sleep.
You could also google zeo on cpap.com and see if there is something on that forum.
Nothing scares off a salesman (derek) and he has been very helpful within the bounds of what they claim to do and what he's allowed to say.

jeff, I thought you did a very good job of pointing our the pros and cons, yes it could help (maybe) but not like night in the sleep lab, however how many of us get 2 weeks of data in a row from the sleep lab? If it helps you get better sleep it just might be worth it.

There are other items listed on Amazon.com, some less expensive (the Zeo is $249 there) and there are a lot of reviews of the Zeo.
Good Luck, Matt.

Matt said:
Paul, thanks for posting. Lots of discussion, and links. However, I haven't seen a simple answer to my previously
I believe the answer to your question is no Matt. I have yet to see any software program that can accurately determine specific sleep stages. I believe it can make the determination between NREM and REM. My wife and I have both done some extensive searches on the Zeo. It is actually a pretty sophisticated little device. My wife explained to me that I needed to look at it from a different angle. It is not as much of an EEG recorder as it is an actigraph machine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actigraphy

Matt said:
Paul, thanks for posting. Lots of discussion, and links. However, I haven't seen a simple answer to my previously posted simple question.
I'll ask again: Does it accurately detect and graph the different sleep stages and duration of time spent in each stage?

Thanks for considering clearing this up, it may be just what your product needs.

Matt

Derek@Zeo said:
Hi All,

Thanks again,

Paul
paul@myzeo.com
Thanks, Rock, this link was very helpful. I had forgotten aboutt the iPhones app, but it appears to deserve more looking into.

Rock Hinkle said:
I believe the answer to your question is no Matt.
Thanks Mary. I should have maybe reworded that, meaning I didn't mean to offend Derek. Thanks too for your suggestions.

Mary Z said:
Nothing scares off a salesman (derek) and he has been very helpful within the bounds of what they claim to do and what he's allowed to say.
Good Luck, Matt
Thanks Rock, makes sense.

I won't get into whether I feel it would be a useful tool, for me, given my particular circumstances.

Good luck to anyone who gives it a try, and please post about it if you do.

Thanks again, good discussion.

Rock Hinkle said:
I believe the answer to your question is no Matt. I have yet to see any software program that can accurately determine specific sleep stages. I believe it can make the determination between NREM and REM. My wife and I have both done some extensive searches on the Zeo. It is actually a pretty sophisticated little device. My wife explained to me that I needed to look at it from a different angle. It is not as much of an EEG recorder as it is an actigraph machine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actigraphy

Matt said:

Matt

Derek@Zeo said:
Hi All,

Thanks again,

Paul
paul@myzeo.com
I am also interested in this, I took a look at the reviews on Amazon, and they seem to be split.
Most confusing (Derek - please respond) is that some report that the Zeo reports them to be in REM sleep even when worn while fully awake- any idea how that could be?

thx
Hi Jon -

Thanks for reaching out with this question. The answer requires a little bit of explanation, so please bear with me and I'll do my best to explain...

Zeo uses brainwaves to determine which phase of sleep you are in (see this blog post for more info on how it works: http://blog.myzeo.com/5-steps-to-phasing-sleep/). Scientists focused on sleep staging agree that the fine line between sleep and awake can be ambiguous (Merica & Fortune, Sleep Med Rev, 2004) and, depending on the level of activity, there can be many similarities between signals while awake and asleep.

More specific to your question - when you look at any sleep graph (like on this page: http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/science/what/sleep-patt...), you'll notice that REM sleep is the closest sleep phase to being awake. That's because your brain is highly active during REM sleep - similar to the way your brain is highly active when you are awake.

As a result, it is possible for Zeo to indicate that a person is asleep when they are awake, and on the rare occasion, Zeo may say a person is awake when they are lightly sleeping.

With that said, Zeo has been scientifically validated for accuracy (studies here: http://www.myzeo.com/pages/52_for_health_professionals.cfm#Validations) and will give you an accurate assessment of your sleep phases over the course of an entire night.

I hope this helps, and am here to discuss if you have more questions about it.

Thanks again,
Derek@Zeo
[derek@myzeo.com]
yes, VERY helpful thanks. I ordered the product and hope to test in in a week, and post my findings.

Derek@Zeo said:
Hi Jon -

Thanks for reaching out with this question. The answer requires a little bit of explanation, so please bear with me and I'll do my best to explain...

Zeo uses brainwaves to determine which phase of sleep you are in (see this blog post for more info on how it works: http://blog.myzeo.com/5-steps-to-phasing-sleep/). Scientists focused on sleep staging agree that the fine line between sleep and awake can be ambiguous (Merica & Fortune, Sleep Med Rev, 2004) and, depending on the level of activity, there can be many similarities between signals while awake and asleep.

More specific to your question - when you look at any sleep graph (like on this page: http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/science/what/sleep-patt...), you'll notice that REM sleep is the closest sleep phase to being awake. That's because your brain is highly active during REM sleep - similar to the way your brain is highly active when you are awake.

As a result, it is possible for Zeo to indicate that a person is asleep when they are awake, and on the rare occasion, Zeo may say a person is awake when they are lightly sleeping.

With that said, Zeo has been scientifically validated for accuracy (studies here: http://www.myzeo.com/pages/52_for_health_professionals.cfm#Validations) and will give you an accurate assessment of your sleep phases over the course of an entire night.

I hope this helps, and am here to discuss if you have more questions about it.

Thanks again,
Derek@Zeo
[derek@myzeo.com]
Look forward to hearing your thoughts!
Yes, Jon, please do post your results. There were other people who were going to test it, but we never hear from them.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service