Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
I'm hearing that there's a Polysomnographic Technologists Bill being sponsored in New York.  Told that if it doesn't pass many techs will lose their jobs.  Why?   

Views: 536

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You already are. Rock on.

Rock Hinkle said:
Who knows maybe one day i will make my own path.
Rock,

I don't have the respect for government licensing that you do. There are charlatans, quacks, frauds and incompetents holding government licenses in every field.

Whether I am hiring a lawyer, an accountant, a plumber, a chaffeur, an electrician or a surgeon, I don't trust their license to bring me anything. I research their performance through whatever means available, especially references of friends and associates. On the first meeting with them, my senses are at full attention to every detail of their words and actions in attempt to judge how they may perform. I don't even glance at the license on their wall. I have a feeling you do the same.

Now if I am going to have to do all that anyway, why waste the time and financial cost that government licensing adds to the equation?

BTW, I have a government driving license. If you think that means anything you should ask my wife. :):):)
Technically this license is not for you. It provides better standards for us. We pay the fee not you. This license ensures that we, not you, have a governing body in which to report to. This will not raise the cost of a sleep study as the labs, or hospitals will have no out of pocket expense. The expense comes out of my pocket. This licensure is being funded 100% by your local state sleep societies which are ran by RPSGTs. The only thing that changes for the pt is that they will have a governing body to complain to at the state level.

Banyon said:
Rock,

I don't have the respect for government licensing that you do. There are charlatans, quacks, frauds and incompetents holding government licenses in every field.

Whether I am hiring a lawyer, an accountant, a plumber, a chaffeur, an electrician or a surgeon, I don't trust their license to bring me anything. I research their performance through whatever means available, especially references of friends and associates. On the first meeting with them, my senses are at full attention to every detail of their words and actions in attempt to judge how they may perform. I don't even glance at the license on their wall. I have a feeling you do the same.

Now if I am going to have to do all that anyway, why waste the time and financial cost that government licensing adds to the equation?

BTW, I have a government driving license. If you think that means anything you should ask my wife. :):):)
Rock Hinkle said: We pay the fee not you. This license ensures that we, not you, have a governing body in which to report to. This will not raise the cost of a sleep study as the labs, or hospitals will have no out of pocket expense. The expense comes out of my pocket. This licensure is being funded 100% by your local state sleep societies which are ran by RPSGTs. The only thing that changes for the pt is that they will have a governing body to complain to at the state level

Where do you get your money Rock? Unless you have a side job or are independently wealthy, you get it from your patients. I don't buy the argument. Any costs related to your profession ultimately have to be paid for by the patients.

Government licensing as a general rule is a racket that we don't need.

Go back and look at the justification the government wrote in the bill. They talk about all the wonderful things that were developed without licensing:

"Given the compelling health issues and costs at stake, the diagnosis
and treatment of sleep disorders has become a vital health care issue.
In response to this need, there has been an emergence of independent
sleep centers, sleep labs and hospitals using state-of-the-art
equipment to monitor, test and treat patients suffering from sleep
disorders. These facilities rely upon a team of professionals
including physicians specializing in sleep disorders, nurses,
respiratory therapists, and polysomnographic technologists.

As the diagnosis and treatment of sleep disorders has developed,
polysomnographic technologists have played an integral and, perhaps,
the most visible function in patient care including administering
sleep tests and working with physicians to provide information needed
for the accurate diagnosis and treatment of such disorders. They
typically are responsible for: gathering and analyzing patient
information and ensuring the appropriate tests are performed;
administering tests which may involve connections of electrodes,
sensors, and air masks; monitoring, scoring and evaluating test
results; and ensuring patient safety. Polysomnographic technologists
are highly trained and often experienced professionals who work under
the supervision of, and in cooperation with, physicians and other
health care providers. Importantly, since the diagnosis of a patient
usually occurs over a one- or two-night period, polysomnographic
technologists are relied upon to work overnight shifts unlike other
health care providers."

So now that we had these wonderful things spring up, we need to license them to make sure it doesn't continue. Only governments can use that kind of logic.

I suspect you and I will continue to be at odds on this subject.

Ciao.
If things are so great without licensure then why are you constantly bitching about the state of the sleep industry. You make no sense banyon. You complain when the medical community does nothing! You complain when they attempt to do something to fix it! WTF Banyon! Are you just a complainer? Is there no other solution than the one you are arguing for? If not then you are just as bad as the government control you are arguing against. This is not a cut and dry issue. If it were the solution would have already been made by people much more important than you or me. At least this medical proffessional is willing to listen to your views. You closed your mind to mine when you read the title of this discussion. Probably before. Unlike you I am in a position that allows me to have however small it may be some influence over policy. Are you going to help find a solution or keep stonewalling me on the issues.
Right now my BRING HOME is $30,000 as an unlicensed tech. Is that too much for what I do? Patients do pay my salary. how is this any different than the consumers that paid or pay your salary? That is how a paycheck works. A consumer has a tangible need. A company fills that need. I am sure that the process that enables me or any other medical practicioner to get paid is no different then how you are anyone else gets paid. I then take my money and fill my needs. This in turn allows someone else to get paid. The only difference is that no one is arguing over how other people live off of the money I make. Well except for me. I am another average joe just like you Banyon. I put my pants on one leg at a time just like anyone else. I am not the enemy or is everyone else in the medical community as you suggest. Not everyone is out to get you. Especially not me.

You say that companies are closed minded to new technology and such. How is that any different to your closed mindedness on this issue.
So I guess "closed mindedness" means not agreeing with Rock?

You are off on a tangent talking about salaries. Well it is a tangent, unless there is an underlying motive of "let's get state licensing and drive the salaries up". That is quite commonly one of the drivers for state licensure. Let the market decide what you and I are paid for our labor.

Let's allow the market to decide what the salaries are, not a state bureaucracy. Let's make the pricing of sleep medicine services transparent and let the patients decided which provider and which services they will pay for.

As for my complaining, that is part of the market. Complaining has a useful purpose of letting the providers and consumers know where the poor performance is. Most of us don't want a government body to take care of the problems with the industry. We just want the freedom to share information with suppliers and patients and then vote with our dollars for suppliers and services. That is how a market works and it is much more efficient than a government.

You lifted my comment out of context about companies resisting new technology. Of course all the new technology comes from companies - government is neither effective nor efficient at bringing new technology.

In your other post appealing for state licensure, almost all of what you say you want can be accomplished quicker and cheaper with a private industry inititiative. I guess the one thing that is missing is that government bars you from working for a DME. But there is a very easy and elegant solution for that. Repeal the regulations that require a state RT license for DME employees. Do you not see that the state is getting in the way of progress you want to make?

What positive thing has that state RT license ever done for a CPAP patient that visited a DME?
Not agreeing with me is not the problem. I am getting quite used to that. I have listened to your gripes over and over Banyon. I have even asked you to talk things out with me several times. You believe that my solutions are not going to work, and at this time I am positive that yours are not even being considered. Not that you are not right. I agree that government involvement has it's draw backs. We have to play the cards that are delt to us. Whether or not you or I want government control of the medical complex it is coming. This license would give sleep back some of that control. Which right now it has none.

Constantly complaining about what is wrong does nothing to build on the things that are being done right. We can continue to throw stones, or we can agree to work with one another. I have alot of respect for what you do, and say. The enemy of my enemy you know. Sometimes we have to go backwards to move forwards.
I don't follow the logic that creating government licensing would take some of the control back from government.

But there will be no energy spent by me to stop the effort in NY.

Eventually it may come around to GA, as our historically independent citizens are becoming more and more interested in having government fund and control major parts of our lives. I will stay in the battle here through some excellent organizations in the state.

I am sure if I were "complaining" about the lack of state licensure, you would suddenly like "complainers" and have a different term to describe them.

As far as I am concerned there is nothing more for you and I to discuss on this issue.

Out.
All I have left to say is that giving complete control to the private sector has worked well for our economy so far.

Good luck in GA banyon. I hope that we are still friends. I will continue to follow and be educated by your post.

Rock
As a teacher, that must hold current certification in order to teach I see nothing wrong in licensing those in the medical profession. My daughter completed RN school in December. In order to work as an RN in the state of Missouri, she had to take her state boards (in other words a test) in order to obtain her license. She passed and is now working as an RN.

I am glad that these professions are regulated. Is it a perfect world -- NO!! But it is the way it is. If this helps, I say go for it.
Honestly I believe that the medical industry should be controlled by parties from both the government and private sectors. Until someone comes up with a better solution I will continue to support licensure.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service