Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
I'm hearing that there's a Polysomnographic Technologists Bill being sponsored in New York.  Told that if it doesn't pass many techs will lose their jobs.  Why?   

Views: 536

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

but why do we need licensure at all? why does government have to step in here? I'm kind of with 99 on this. Seems like a racket to drum up revenue into the state coffers, and not something that is designed to help Sleep Techs. Or am I wrong? Do RRTs currently have free reign to do sleep studies? Why is that. I realize I'm asking a lot of questions, but i'm genuinely confused by the Sleep Techs' enthusiasm to run headlong into a system that would make the government instead of the free market the arbiter of how many techs there are and who can become a tech.

Amy said:
You would want to get involved in your state because if we do not allow RPSGTs to do sleep studies then many sleep labs will close or have very long waits as there are not enough RRTs CRTs who are into sleep
The governing RRT body wants to slip into polysomnography w/little to very minimal training in sleep for the RRTs. What they would REALLY like is that only RRTs could go into polysomnography. Its a turf war w/the RRTs wanting to horn in on the PSG and sleep field.

Frankly, I think they need to concentrate on cleaning up their own act since so many take on a job w/a local DME provider w/o knowing diddley-squat about proper mask fitting, w/o bothering to learn the xPAPs they provide other than the Quick SetUp Guide and w/no interest in improving their mask fitting, or really learning about the xPAPs they provide.
ok, but why are the Sleep Techs asking permission to do their jobs (i.e., asking to be regulated by the government through licensure) instead of just going on the offense and taking over the field without jumping through government-created hoops first? i guess that would make sense if the RRTs are trying to pass their own exclusionary laws -- then they have forced the Sleep Techs into a defensive position. But i'm just speculating here. Is that, in fact, what has happened -- RRTs are lobbying for laws that exclude techs from doing sleep studies?

Judy said:
The governing RRT body wants to slip into polysomnography w/little to very minimal training in sleep for the RRTs. What they would REALLY like is that only RRTs could go into polysomnography. Its a turf war w/the RRTs wanting to horn in on the PSG and sleep field.

Frankly, I think they need to concentrate on cleaning up their own act since so many take on a job w/a local DME provider w/o knowing diddley-squat about proper mask fitting, w/o bothering to learn the xPAPs they provide other than the Quick SetUp Guide and w/no interest in improving their mask fitting, or really learning about the xPAPs they provide.
We are talking the world of sleep "medicine". RRT is a "medical" degree. RPSGT is not a "medical" degree. No "medical" training is required to acheive an RPSGT degree. One can work their way up, OTJT, to qualifying for RPSGT testing and licensing. RRTs must go thru "medical" training to get their RRT licensing.
d. Licensed respiratory therapists or respiratory therapy technicians;

I take issue with many things in this Bill.... the above line needs so much more clarification.
I agree wholeheartedly with you on at least this issue, D W Conn!!!

"S 8807. Exempt from the licensure and registration requirements would
be those persons who are: ....

D. Licensed respiratory therapists or respiratory therapy technicians; ..."
Just to clarify: I also take issue w/the above.
I am not going to get into the RRT vs RPSGT debate today. It is morning after all. At least in my mental time zone.

State licensure will bring about more standardized rules and regulations for sleep by holding it accountable at the state and local levels. Licensure will also give us better local and state funding for training and educational programs. This will bring about more federal funding as more states come on board. This will put control of the sleep industry in the hands of those that understand the practice by ensuring that only those educated in sleep are practicing the art. To put into perspective for you Mike sleep without licensure would be like law without the bar program.

As for who controls sleep right now. I believe that Embla and Aetna gave you a pretty good example with that first bill that was posted. State licensure would help us stop those who want to remove the sleep technologist from sleep. To put it plainly this bill would put sleep studies in teh hands of the DMEs. As long as the AARC and the AASM fight the insurance companies will continue to regulate sleep.
For the record, and as an attorney, the bar exam and attorney licensure requirements have done nothing for me directly except wasted my time, got my stress levels high, cost me a bunch of money and otherwise restrict my ability to do my job because i can only work in the state in which i'm licensed. I was no better a lawyer for having passed the Bar exam that I would have been had I just started practicing law right out of school. And come to think of it the best preparation for law would have been to ditch 2/3ds of the time I spent in law school and do an apprenticeship under the supervision of an experienced, working attorney (and I went to one of the best law schools). I truly believe that the state Bar requirements are a racket to artificially control the supply-demand of attorneys in a state and to bring revenue into the state coffers. They are ostensibly there "for the public interest," but in my view that is a crock.

So yes, I for one am truly puzzled by Sleep Techs' desire to mimic this tortuous, painful, expensive model that doesn't necessarily accomplish its goal. At the very least, I respectfully submit that it doesn't seem as clear-cut to me why it's a good thing as it seems to Rock and Cindy. It's very clear to me that there's a big push for this to happen. But c'mon, guys... are you sure you're not just drinking the Kool-Aid on this one?

Rock Hinkle said:
To put into perspective for you Mike sleep without licensure would be like law without the bar program.
Not sure why you brought my name into your rant. For what it is worth I agree with you Cindy. For the record your education was probably far superior than mine.

Cindy Brown said:
Why do we license physicians? is it just the government trying to get there piece of the pie? NO it's the protection of patients. Why do sleep techs want licensure? It's an effort to standardize the industry. It's an effort to make sure Joe in Montana gets the same level of care as Jane in New York city. Mary from some podunck town in anywhere USA gets the same level of care as John that has access to the best reliable care given in their respective big city.

Come on you guys you complain that the quality of care is hit or miss but balk at legislation that will improve the quality of care.

And just an fyi. I've had to have just as much education as Rock Hinkle but I'm accused of getting a free ride because I have an AA degree in Respiratory Care and 20 years of experience. AND trained OJT for 18 months. Come on enough is really and truly enough.
So you resent me because I am respected? Thank you very much!

Personally I have nothing against RTs. I work with some really good ones. Most will tell you that they are sleep techs though. Most of the members on here that are bad mouthing RTs have good reason and you know it. It was not an RPSGT that did them wrong. Had it been this conversation would be going in a completely different direction. I actuallly thought that you and I were on the same team on this one. Clearly that is not so. I am sure that respiratory will take you back.

Oh by the way Cindy I make damn good money for what I do. As a double certified technologist you should make even more.

Mike, What is your suggestion? Do you think sleep should stay the way that it is? More and more pappy mills are popping up everyday.

Cindy Brown said:
Mostly because you've garnered much respect here on this board while, yet again, the RT's are being slammed.
Ooops, Cindy!!! Lawyers are a well-respected profession???? What world are you living in? Most in the US today put lawyers on a par w/politicians and below horse traders and used car salesmen!! There are exceptions in the ranks of attorneys I'm sure. I'm not so sure there are exceptions w/in the ranks of politicians tho.

I'm one you've seen knock the local DME provider's RRTs in this and other apnea support forums. I don't think I have ever knocked RRTs who are in respiratory therapy at hospitals. My personal experience w/them is limited but good. I haven't had the good fortune to encounter an RRT in sleep other than the owner/manager of the sleep lab I now use and two of the local PAP manufacturer Reps and they have both been great, informative and helpful, both are RRTs/RPSGTs. The RRTs I've encountered in these apnea support forums have been exceptional - and exceptions to the experience of far too many of us who end up in the support forums USUALLY BECAUSE of the RRTs we encounter at the local DME providers. And by the way, take note that I am as little impressed w/sleep doctors as I am of local DME provider RRTs.

My apologies to you, Cindy, for appearing to lump you and Rock Connor and the other RRTs who take the time to jump in to this forum and offer assistance, help and advice. I regard you guys as the exceptions and appreciate you and your interest and caring.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service