Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
Hi! Ready to Rock This Forum?
Thank you for visiting the SleepGuide discussion forum. We are committed to allowing freedom of expression for our members, and that includes maintaining a safe space for people with opposing views to express themselves. We get posts from patients and pros all over the country and even the globe, so needless to say, people come with different viewpoints on Sleep Apnea. We see this diversity and variety as a real strength-- dialogue and debate are an integral part of the educational process, as well as an important tool in exploring different sides of complex issues.

SleepGuide Code of Conduct
Okay, I know we said we want you to have the freedom to express yourselves. And we do. But a few rules never hurt, right?
• Be nice! No flaming. Many posters come here for information, not to be called names.
• Please respect the different backgrounds and education of posters—especially when it comes to diverse perspectives on Sleep Apnea from patients and pros alike.
• No one needs to hear you correct them on proper grammar and spelling. Let’s talk Sleep Apnea, not the difference between affect and effect.
• Wanna talk about religion and race? Well, we don’t. We wanna talk about Sleep Apnea.
• Don’t gang up with other posters against one person. It’s not nice!
• Did I mention you should…talk about Sleep Apnea? Cool! Now get to it and have fun!

Views: 1724

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, my name is Steve I live east of Colorado Springs, Colorado. I have been diagnosed with severe Sleep Apnea and have to use a CPAP machine when I sleep.
I'm uncertain when my sleep apnea started but I started having issues with staying awake during the day five or six years ago and it only got worst. In February of 2005 I totalled my vehicle driving home from work because I could not stay awake. I gained a lot of weight my legs swelled and I had breathing problems. I eventually landed in the ICU in February and March of 2007 (two different stays) when I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and placed on a CPAP I also did the sleep study around that time. My Sleep Apnea lead to Pulmonary Hypertension you really need to pay attnetion to this disease. Strangely enough I also was diagnosed with COPD although I never smoked and am on oxygen 24/7 oh and I also have type 2 diabetes diagnosed around the same time frame.
I did some research when I was first diagnosed with sleep apnea but to be honest I haven't kept up with the disease in the past 2 years but now want to learn more Thanks everyone

Steve
Hi.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in the early '90s; 1990 or 1991. I don't recall exactly. Since then, I've worn my CPAP faithfully at least a few hours every night. I suppose it's been effective. I haven't fallen asleep behind the wheel or at work or at anyplace or at anytime I shouldn't have. But in the last few years I've found myself lying awake two or three hours every night and falling asleep in front of the TV in the evening. That made me think something had changed or maybe I just couldn't use the CPAP anymore. I thought I do some research to see if anyone had experienced anything similar. That's what brought me here.
Hi!!!, I'm Lytedansin AKA Janice, from Texas. I have been diagnosed with the Sleep Apnea/Hypoxaemia...I don't pretend to understand it all yet, not sure I will. It has been an interesting last few months. After the discussion with the Doc naturally I started reading online. Reading all the symptoms, I am begining to believe I have had this forever. Nightmares, Low Iron, and grinding my teeth, moving alot in my sleep, I have had since i was a small child, depression, High blood pressure, Headaches daily, migrains on a regular basis, and snoring. I have had since I was very young adult ...Not sure how low iron plays a part, but the doc says it is all related. I guess not being able to sleep right, just doesn't allow anything in the body to work right. As for this wonderful machine, (I love feeling like a martian when I go to bed. lol) It seems to help when I can keep it on. Somehow and I am not sure how, I take the dad blame thing off in my sleep, sometimes undoing the clasps, sometimes not...and i am not sure how that doesn't wake me. and the wonderful marks on my face that it leaves... :) does this ever get easier? Is there something else we can do? Surgery is not an option as mine is caused, if I understand this right, by my pathway, being to small, so there is no excess tissue to remove, my neck is only 14 inches. I am quite overweight, which the doc says is part of it too.. Oh the machine is a Fisher & Paykel Sleep style 200, with a fisher & paykel Mask 432, I have successfully kept the machine on enough to know that It may help If i can get used to it. However, I am still praying for a different solution. Thank you in advance for your time and Help. Have an awesome day, & God Bless Y'all!!!
Hi!! I'm Butch from Sacramento, Ca. I was diagnose with severe sleep apnea in 1996. I used CPAP machine for almost 6 years and finally get tired of this machine and decided to undergo surgery in 2002, since then I feel like I'm a newborn person. My wife was so happy and not scared anymore the way I snore. No more napping during working hours.
Hi I'm Jesse.And I cant believe your going through the same thing I'm going through.I hope if you find any way to make the cpap mask or nose mask work better with out the fear.Please let me know. I to have claustrophobia and have troubles using all the mask.I've used them all.I'm at the point were I cant even use the CPAP at all.And now I'm suffering.

Belinda Haman said:
Hello Everyone:

I am a newbie to this site and I have been diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea for four months now, I have been using the CPAP on and off since my diagnosis.....It took me some time to get accustomed to the nose pillows mask, then I went back to the sleep clinic for my sleep test with my machine....The tech's told me I needed a chin strap or a full face mask, they said my air level needed to be increased to 10....

Well the full mask has been a nightmare due to my claustophobia issues......my CPAP rep suggested that I use the chin strap because he said getting some benefits are better than not using the machine....So I took his advice and have continued on with the nose pillows with the chin strap.....unfortunately I am having trouble with my mask since my air level has been increased....I sneeze all day long and feel congested....I was sleeping okay with my mask before my level was increased. I am back to the throbing apnea headache in the morning......I leave my mask on for about an hour and half before taking it off I wake up again at 3:00 am and put it back on again for another hour and a half.....still can't sleep with it on....

I am getting so frustrated, is this normal. I have been off of work now for 8 months because before I was diagnosed I was not sleeping and couldn't function anymore at work....I want to get back to work, but I am losing hope of that happening I seem to be going backwards instead of frontwards....I can relate to your story sugarshirl, I cannot remember my last year of employment either due to severe lack of sleep.....I need to get well before I go back to work I am currently on full disability as well.....I am still walking around like a zombie :( if anyone can share their experience I would certainly appreciate it.....

This is such a helpful site, I have been on many sites for sleep apnea and this one is the best......

Thanks for letting me vent my fellow apnea survivors lol
I am Yvonnie Crews,
I'm a sleep apnea patient for about 2 years now. I had a hard time with masks, like I have read about others with the problems of a leaky mask.
I could not get a restful nights sleep, so I kept pondering in my mind how I could do something about it.
I had used the "Total Mask" by Resmed. But I had a lot of problems with it. I tried to tighten it and it would be too tight on my face. I could not sleep good.
So, I switched to the "Full Face Mask", by Respironics. I love it. I know it is not liked by a lot of people but for me this is the one I need.
It kind of floats on your face, no pressure points on my face at all. But it sitll had some leaks and I still was not sleeping well.
So, I took the mask and made a cushion for it. The cushion fits the contours of your face and stops the leaking of the air.
Now I sleep longer and sounder than I have in years. I can stay up and watch TV with my husband and get up the next morning feeling rested.
I have since made a cushion for the "Total Face Mask", also.
If anyone is interested in getting a cushion for their mask to try and see if it helps, contact me and I will be taking orders for them.
I can be reached at: nannyvonnie@yahoo.com
Hi my name is Jim from near the Cleveland area...I have had bad apnea for twenty plus years...I use a c-pap machine every nite...can't sleep with out it...nice to have a site just for us
hi, my name is patricia. i was diagnosed with sleep apnea awhile back. i woke up 37 times an hour during my sleep test. also, my oxygen dropped during sleep so i am also on oxygen at night. i use nasal pillows because i could not stand the mask and not being able to breathe through my mouth. the oxygen comes in through the nasal pillows. my machine let's me let the air gradually get stronger (over thirty minutes).
Hi Karen, You are the reason I found this site and I thank you ! I too am a seamstress and made myself pads for my straps the first day , and then thought just as you that this may be a useful product, so upon researching a patent I found you, so I'll stick with my home decor business instead of infringeing on your venture, but best of luck to you, nice job.I , before finding your site had made some covered in silk, satin, and fleece, so imagine my surprise when I saw your designs. We have alot in common I'm sure, I like to invent also. You can see my work at www.homedecsewing.com Again thanks for the link to this site. With kindest regards, Susan

Karen Moore www.padacheek.com said:
Hello there,
My name is Karen and Sleep Apnea has changed my life in ways I had no idea it would.
I was diagnosed 5 years ago when I had a series of really not very intelligent thoughts. I went to my primary care physician who has known me for 19 years and said, "I am not this stupid, what is wrong with me?"
He asked some smart questions and CPAP was the end result.
I started CPAP and immediately had some minor issues, like strap marks. I made a pad for my straps, used that set for almost a year and then thought perhaps others had a need for the padding on the straps too. I looked online for the solutions and found nothing. SO then I did a bit of market research, did some design work, did some patent application writing and then brought them to market. A business was born.
4 years after that the PAD A CHEEK products are world wide in distribution and although we are still a very small company, we are growing. I absolutely love helping other sleep apnea patients sleep more comfortably. My mission continues to be to help people with sleep apnea sleep more comfortably and not to grow to be a huge business.
Now my brain is working because of CPAP.
Hi all, My name is Claire and I have a sleep study scheduled on Aug 13 in Pensacola, Fla- I wondered if there is anything I need to know, Bring, or ask when I go to this sleep study. Been tired all the time for a long time, Worsen this year since Jan- Had MRI done of my leg in April for a knee replacement doctor and the MRI reader sent information to my regular doctor showing erythroid red blood cell, which lead me to a cancer doctor, that now is sending me to a sleep study and pulmonary doctor. I am told that I am not getting enough oxygen to my organs which will cause organ failure. Being diabetic, I am worried about this. I do try to eat right and exercise, but my knee is not allowing me to walk as much as I use too. I am overweight and gaining too. This tiredness causes me to fall asleep all the time. I try to sleep or be in the bed to sleep 8 hours a night, but my brain will not shut down. I just lay there for long periods then get up. When I do go to sleep, its short burst like 2 hours of 3 hours and then my throat seems to be raw, and I have major headaches. This has been going on for a long time. My family doctor is aware but never mention a sleep study, tried to give me sleeping pills, which I will not take- I am afraid on them. I think I have already caused damage to my heart. I am on depression pills, that really don't stop my crying jags, or help with sleep. I seem to keep high blood pressure reading. They stick me in a dark room all the time. I guess I am just frustrated that it takes so long for insurance and doctors to do the right thing.
Any advice, help , or just a comment would be greatly appreciated. I want to be around for a long time to see my grandchildren grow up. I do not fell depressed, just tired!!!!
Hi Claire! I am far too new to cpap to give you much, if any advise. I have only been using my cpap for a little over a week now. I just really identified with your post.

Although I am sure I have had OSA for a long time, it became unbearable since I had a knee replacement (almost two years ago). The OSA was causing me all kinds of exhaustion issues and then the knee replacement just added to my sleep problems and pain problems. I found I couldn't think clearly and lost all interest in doing anything other than stay at home to "rest."

Like you, I also have diabetes. The diabetes and knee problems made it hard to lose weight or to exercise which just became a viscious cycle. I was also so tired...and not depressed...just too weary to want to do anything or see anyone. I also was frustrated with the time it took for everything to get diagnosed and treatment started.

I am hoping that now I am cpap, I will start to gain back some energy and clearer thoughts. I already feel better each morning, although I still feel very, very tired in the afternoons.

I think I could have written your note. Hang in there. Maybe in a few months we will both feel like new women!
thank you for takin the time and being on this site when i was diagnosed with osa about seven years ago i had wished for somthing like this!!

Rock Hinkle said:
My name is Rock Hinkle. I am a sleep tech in the indianapolis area. Welcome to sleepguide!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service