Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
Oh my gosh, people!  The new Swift FX is fabulous!  I tried it last night.  The pillows are so soft--this might put Ro Ez It out of business.  I can't wear pillows at all because they irritate my nostrils way too much, and usually I can't keep the headgear on.  The Swift FX is totally different.  The only problem I had was I couldn't adjust the top of the headgear enough to keep the pillows in.  I guess my head and face are too small--ResMed just needs to add a couple more notches. 

I just wanted to let you all know that this mask might be a great solution to some of the problems some of you have with pillows or masks in general!

Views: 404

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The sales rep is a respiratory therapist, so he probably knows something I don't.

sleepycarol said:
Remember take what the sales rep tells you as "maybe" fact. Like anything else, there are good reps and then there are those that are so so that may not know all the facts.

Maybe someone that is on one of these specialized machines will fill us in with more detail about the mask issue.
Hey Melinda.... this is an interesting, and tough question: whether you are limited to Full face masks with ASV devices. I started a new thread about it, and have gotten some guidance on the point: Auto Servo Ventilator Machines and CPAP Masks.

Melinda Hertel said:
The sales rep is a respiratory therapist, so he probably knows something I don't.

sleepycarol said:
Remember take what the sales rep tells you as "maybe" fact. Like anything else, there are good reps and then there are those that are so so that may not know all the facts.

Maybe someone that is on one of these specialized machines will fill us in with more detail about the mask issue.
Hi Mike--I saw your discussion on Twitter. It's interesting. The info. that Rock provided sounds like what I vaguely remember our rep telling us--something with the leak factor. My RT, Francisco put an email in to our rep to get more info. He'll submit a comment when he hears back. Thanks for the info.!

Mike said:
Hey Melinda.... this is an interesting, and tough question: whether you are limited to Full face masks with ASV devices. I started a new thread about it, and have gotten some guidance on the point: Auto Servo Ventilator Machines and CPAP Masks.

Melinda Hertel said:

sleepycarol said:

Has anyone tried this mask yet? Does it use the same pillows as the sift lt for her mask?
'Fraid not, Melinda. I've successfully used nasal pillows with the Respironics BiPAP autoSV since August 2009. Of course, common sense must be exercised - if leaks are high, or symptoms of mouth breathing exist - a different mask should be tried. I've had no success with any full face mask I've tried - excessive leaks. Nasal pillows have been best for me.

Melinda Hertel said:
Are you being switched to an autotitrating unit or a servo-ventilator unit for complex apnea? If it is a servo-ventilator, you will have to use a full face mask.

RL said:
I am looking at this mask closely, considering I will probably be changing from my simple CPAP soon to an Auto SV type unit, and am concerned as to my current mask holding up to the variable pressures. Currently using the Swift LT for Her, successfully, I would prefer to stick with a nasal pillow type mask if possible, as I have a very sensitive nose bridge and had some difficulty using the full face type mask in my first sleep study. I think I read in the mask literature, or somewhere (?) that this new mask works with the ASV paps. I may request to try this one, especially if the LT has problems. The xPAP change will probably take another month or two since I will probably have to go for another titration PSG for that.
Respironics does allow for the use of any mask, except the Activa for some reason. See the discussion started by Mike regarding the SV units. The respiratory therapist from ResMed is the one that told us about using a full face mask with their unit. Maybe something different in the technologies? Apparently it is just to reduce the chance of leaks because of the type of therapy. It makes sense though that if you can't find a full face that doesn't cause leaks for you, any mask that seals well would be the optimal choice for you.

Bill Shoemaker said:
'Fraid not, Melinda. I've successfully used nasal pillows with the Respironics BiPAP autoSV since August 2009. Of course, common sense must be exercised - if leaks are high, or symptoms of mouth breathing exist - a different mask should be tried. I've had no success with any full face mask I've tried - excessive leaks. Nasal pillows have been best for me.

Melinda Hertel said:
Are you being switched to an autotitrating unit or a servo-ventilator unit for complex apnea? If it is a servo-ventilator, you will have to use a full face mask.

RL said:
I am looking at this mask closely, considering I will probably be changing from my simple CPAP soon to an Auto SV type unit, and am concerned as to my current mask holding up to the variable pressures. Currently using the Swift LT for Her, successfully, I would prefer to stick with a nasal pillow type mask if possible, as I have a very sensitive nose bridge and had some difficulty using the full face type mask in my first sleep study. I think I read in the mask literature, or somewhere (?) that this new mask works with the ASV paps. I may request to try this one, especially if the LT has problems. The xPAP change will probably take another month or two since I will probably have to go for another titration PSG for that.
I have tried it. It is a wonderful mask. Most pf the pts that i have used it on have tried to get me to give it to them in the morning.

Jan said:
Has anyone tried this mask yet? Does it use the same pillows as the sift lt for her mask?
never tired nasal pillows before because of many dreaded stories and warnings but I went ahead and tried anyways. I tried the new swfit fx and all I can say is it totally changed my life. I can get a good night sleep now and I am free from those huge masks now. I don't feel like the man in the iron man no more but more just like getting a oxgen line in your nose which is so much better than before. Now I can read and watch tv in bed and talk to my partner in a whisper without having to yell or sound mufffled by the mask. Obviously different people have different likes and dislikes and different faces so might not work for everyone but all I can say it's been a blessing for me.
Hi Melinda,

That new Swift FX from ResMed sound like a good comfortable mask, which is what I'm looking for. Do you know if it's covered by Medicare?

Sonia
I'll let Melinda respond also but i believe it is, in fact, covered by Medicare because Medicare only knows of it as a CPAP mask -- it doesn't distinguish whether it's a new or old model, good or bad. they just pay for it because they pay for CPAP masks generally.

Sonia S. said:
Hi Melinda,

That new Swift FX from ResMed sound like a good comfortable mask, which is what I'm looking for. Do you know if it's covered by Medicare?

Sonia
Thanks Mike. That's good to know. I've heard of Medicare or Medicaid not covering some of the equipment.
I just got my Swift FX yesterday. I'm down with a horrible cold (double ear infections, sinus infection and lung infection) and so have been trying to sleep a LOT lately. So even though I just got it I've slept with it a good 24 hours or so it seems.

I'm very happy with it! I was worried at first that I'd need to have it be able to be tighter on top (like original poster mentioned), but actually I didn't. I just had to tighten the back strap. I can put the back strap under my hair, just like I did with the other swift models. I was worried about the nasal pillows not swiveling like the other models, but it doesn't actually seem to be an issue. The silicone or whatever the mask is made of is very soft, but after my first nap in it I did go ahead and put on the padded covers that come with the mask to see how those worked. They're great. Made it even more comfortable.

One big improvement I think is the hose that goes from the nasal pillows to the cpap hose. It's super flexible, and much quieter than the swift lx hose was. It's not really geared to go up over your head (no clip to hold it up there like the LX) but I've had no trouble with it because it is so flexible.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who likes nasal pillows. Oh, and I still use the large pillows, same as with the other swift models. Pillow sizes seemed pretty consistent for me.

Hm, I think I'll also make this a new thread, just in case anyone is looking for a FX review and misses this one. ;)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service