Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
I need some help, please.  A few weeks ago I was given a full face mask to try after telling my pulmonologist that it appears my mouth is opening while I sleep, even though I use a chin strap.  I've been using a nasal mask.  There's no problem with air leakage.  However, I gave up with the full face mask because as soon as the pressure increased, the air would start leaking out.  It would seem to be okay at the beginning.  Before I could fall asleep, though, the pressure increased to the point where it would leak out in a large area.  I think the full face mask is the answer to the problem of having my mouth open, but I don't know how to keep it from leaking air.  I switched back to the nasal mask for now. 

Views: 22118

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No, the mask was not fitted when pressure was at the greatest titrated pressure.  I mentioned before that I don't know how to set the pressures of my machine.  What is moleskin?  What exactly is a hybrid mask?

flash said:

are you using a hybrid mask or full face mask?  was the mask fitted when pressure was at your greatest titrated pressure?  It sounds like mask is not fitting your face.  Some possible things.  You may have it too tight,  try fitting it when pressure is set to your highest number, lie down and adjust one strap at a time starting with the bottom straps.  I would try loosening your straps first since it sounds like the mask is being pulled and bent around your face and probably leaking the top?  some things to try: moleskin placed in the places that are leaking can "build up" the space where it doesn't match.  Check also that your face and mask are very clean.  masks seal better when face is super clean.  another trick may be to try turning the strap topside down to see if it positions it better on your skull and face.  adding a small tie between the straps may put the straps in a more effective place and help you position the mask better.

hopefully some of these are helpful.

Where can I buy the micropore paper tape?  Does the use of it, or the other tape, result in any skin conditions?

Darillyn Patterson said:

I think my husband would give his eager approval to having me tape my mouth shut.  :) 

Mary Z said:

Unfortunately the mask seems to be the achillies heel of XPAP. Often we have to work with a mask to get it to work. Be sure the straps are not too tight (counterintuitive, I know). Some people find a small bead of silicone- use Macks silicone earplugs, available in most drug stores. You take the earplugs and roll them into a bead- I use one about the size of a pencil- and place it around the entire edge of the mask where if meets your face. You have to place the mask where you want it the first time you put it on with the silicone. Another alternative is to go back to your nasal mask and use micropore paper tape, or blue painters tape to tape your mouth shut. This works for some people. You can also talk to your DME of sleep doc about the problems you are having and they may recommend another mask. Good luck. It's a real problem.

Micropore is a paper tape available in drug stores. Only use the paper type tape. Painters tape is available from the hardware store.Never heard of anyone having skin reactions to either.

Mary Z.

Darillyn Patterson said:

Where can I buy the micropore paper tape?  Does the use of it, or the other tape, result in any skin conditions?

Just a follow-up to my post about the "Sleep Comfort Care Pads for CPAP & BiPAP Masks" ...

It would seem that what is happening is, it doesn't keep the Gel mask from breaking down the bridge of my nose, it just "puts it off" for a little while longer, or slows it down if you will.

As I sit here with a nice, red, painful sore on the bridge of my nose (and remembering my son's question at dinner the other night "SO, what's UP with your nose??"), I'm suggesting that if you're at a high pressure like I am and you have to tighten the straps on your mask to get it to stay put, it's probably not worth it to spend the money on these "care pads" because you'll probably eventually, like I did a few nights ago, go back to a different mask that doesn't touch the bridge of your nose.

Trouble is, do I prefer the pustules running up and down (in the shape of the mask) on my face from the reaction to the "other" masks, or the sore on my nose from the Gel mask? I'm using the RemZZZs to help reduce the pustules caused from the reaction to the materials used to make the other masks, but when I don't get them positioned just exactly right I end up with the pustules. And my forehead gets sore (pressure) with the "other" masks (not enough cushion in there it seems) whereas with the Gel mask my forehead is fine (as long as I have some t-shirt material in there to eliminate the reaction on my forehead), but my nose hurts like heck. Sheez... :o(

I need a custom fit mask that is made with non-reaction-causing materials, at a very inexpensive price. Hah!

Or if the Gel mask makers would just fix that nose bridge issue. Whoever designs these things should be forced to sleep with them strapped on snugly for several weeks and see what it does to their nose!

Ah well, if it weren't for my machine (and mask...) I probably wouldn't even be awake enough to be in here complaining! ;o)

Diane Dennis said:

I had no idea Johnathan!  I'm going to try this!  Thank you for the idea!

About your nose...  

Try the "Sleep Comfort Care Pads for CPAP & BiPAP Masks" from directhomemedical.com (or from anywhere else they might be available...) :o)  They're not the best in the world for staying put (I am pressure 22 and when I lift my mask to reposition, the "care pad" gets blown out of position) but they do cushion the bridge of my nose very well when they're positioned correctly.  Wonder when the makers will redesign/reshape that ComfortGel mask and get that nose-bridge-destroyer out of there?   How much comfort can there really be in the ComfortGel when your nose is in pain all day, eh?  It's my favorite mask except for that.

Jonathan Spencer said:

Some gel-type masks can be customized to a certain extent - you soak them in hot water for a few minutes and press them on to your face to mold them.  It didn't work for me with the ComfortGel - still got welts on the bridge of my nose - but might be successful for others.

David said:

...After more than 20 years of fiddiling with different solutions that all have one failure or another I am looking for someone who will pour a custom mask out of some kind of foam.  If I can afford it that is...

You ought to try Quietus Liners, they are re-usable and have a heavier fabric which is much softer and it is washable.

David said:
I have the same narrow nose bridge problem and just have to live with being all marked up from overtightening.  More experience with the Remszzzs has made me a convert.  You can wear them for several days which lowers the overall cost.  They will stop all but the largest leak and I couldn't duplicate them with similar cloth from my wifes "rag bag"

Chris said:

That would be awesome. I was about to start a thread with just that very question. I have a very narrow nose bridge and it always leaks there, so I have a balancing act between leaks and pressure sores.

David said:

www.remzzzs.com sells a fabric insert for a dollar or so each.  I don't know if they can be reused I have never tried.  They work pretty good but tend to slide or walk in the AM I know I tug on the mask so that may be my fault.  In my opinion full face coverage is a must and you just have to cinch it tight to lessen leaks.  After more than 20 years of fiddiling with different solutions that all have one failure or another I am looking for someone who will pour a custom mask out of some kind of foam.  If I can afford it that is.

www.Quietusliners.com check them out for a really effective solution. Read their story and watch the video.

David said:
I have the same narrow nose bridge problem and just have to live with being all marked up from overtightening.  More experience with the Remszzzs has made me a convert.  You can wear them for several days which lowers the overall cost.  They will stop all but the largest leak and I couldn't duplicate them with similar cloth from my wifes "rag bag"

Chris said:

That would be awesome. I was about to start a thread with just that very question. I have a very narrow nose bridge and it always leaks there, so I have a balancing act between leaks and pressure sores.

David said:

www.remzzzs.com sells a fabric insert for a dollar or so each.  I don't know if they can be reused I have never tried.  They work pretty good but tend to slide or walk in the AM I know I tug on the mask so that may be my fault.  In my opinion full face coverage is a must and you just have to cinch it tight to lessen leaks.  After more than 20 years of fiddiling with different solutions that all have one failure or another I am looking for someone who will pour a custom mask out of some kind of foam.  If I can afford it that is.

I use Swift Mirage II nasal pillows, a Puresom chin strap, and improvised a mouth flap to stop my lips from parting and air from gushing out. The chin strap and an oral appliance advances my jaw forward slightly (not enough, and I have Central Sleep Apnea as well as Obstructive anyway), but my lips part and air gushes out without the mouth flap. The mouth flap is neoprene that I covered with fabric (you could just use several layers of a fabric that does not stretch, like a woven cotton). I stitched velcro on the sides (the soft side of velcro), then stitched the loop side of velcro to the sides of the chin strap to hold the mouth flap. This presses firmly on my lips and keeps them sealed. They start off sealed when I wear the oral appliance and chin strap, and I need to keep them that way. 

This works for me, even though nasal pillows are an off-record use with BiPap SV (a machine for both types of sleep apnea that costs about 5 or 6 times what a regular CPAP machine does, but insurance paid most of it). Also, I get 100% correction of both types of sleep apnea with this system. -Vicki 

I personally use a nasal pillow but I know someone that uses a full mask.  Try lying on your side and tighten the mask and then turn to your other side and do the same thing.  That should do it.  If not, you might have the wrong size mask.
I ordered a sample of the RemZzzs CPAP Mask Liners. I wasn't real happy with them, although the ydid help. But they inspired me - I took an old tee shirt and cut a square from it, folded it and cut a triangle, just big enough to fit ove my mouth and nose and over the edges of the mask. It  makes the mask more comfortable and keeps it from leaking unles one of the edges slips off. If you make the hole in the center too big, that might happen. Overall, this helps a lot with a full face mask. I'm using the Mirage Quattro. And a fairtly heavyweight Tee, I might add..

Hi everyone.

I have solved my problem of a leaking full-face Resmed mask by purchasing the thinner type of fleece material from our local fabric store and cutting it out in the shape of a gasket to fit around the seal part of the mask. I tried the RemZZZs and found that they worked fine for a while but then I began having to tighten my mask and I was still getting mask leaks (or mask 'farts' as I call them) The fabric for the RemZZZs is a thin cotton. It's a good product but no longer worked for me and I was tired of waking up with deep indents/grooves in my face. The thicker fabric seems to have eliminated that problem. Since the fabric is a little thicker, I think that helps for me and I don't have those dreaded deep grooves on my face and I am sleeping more soundly and for longer stretches of time (which isn't easy with that mask on anyway as all of you know).

I was getting extremely frustrated with trying to sleep with this mask on. I am not a back sleeper. I am a side sleeper and the problem was that when I would turn on my side I seemed to push the mask away from my face, especially on the side that was away from the pillow. Then the mask 'farts' would happen and wake me up. The fabric only costs about $3.98 per yard so you will get a lot of these 'gaskets' out of the fabric. They can be re-used over and over. Just wash it in warm soap and water every so often and let it air dry. I suppose they could be machine washed and dried but I haven't tried that yet. I made one about 4 months ago and it's still going strong. Just an occasional handwash is all it needs. Heck, if I can save some money making my own, I will. You just have to trial fit ones that you cut out until you can cut one that will exactly fit your mask. Just a little trial-and-error and then you will have one specially fit for you and a template you can use again and again to cut more out.

Good luck everyone. Hope this helps.

Hi Danilyn,  I Bought the Quietus liners and they only muffled the noise, did not stop the leak. I also have full face mask and am trying to figure out how to stop leaks and considering trying a nasal mask. I am not sure if my mouth opens when I sleep. But since I clinch my teeth I don't think so.

Matt Kesner said:
Danilyn, I had the same problem with my fullface mask(pressure at 18h2o, so I went about solving the problem by developing a solution I now call Quietus Liners. The cloth liners interface between your face and the mask and stopp about 98 to 99% of air leaks and the associated noises. Thye also absorb facial oils and even allow you to use moisturizer on your face at night if you so desire. Check out my new compant at www:quietusliners.comHope this helps you as well as it has others and myself.
Regards,
Matt

Matt's info is right on! I have similar liners made by a company called RemZzz. Their website is: www.remzzz.com. Check them out. They work great!

Bill Carter

Matt Kesner said:

Danilyn, I had the same problem with my fullface mask(pressure at 18h2o, so I went about solving the problem by developing a solution I now call Quietus Liners. The cloth liners interface between your face and the mask and stopp about 98 to 99% of air leaks and the associated noises. Thye also absorb facial oils and even allow you to use moisturizer on your face at night if you so desire. Check out my new compant at www:quietusliners.comHope this helps you as well as it has others and myself.
Regards,
Matt

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service