Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
I need some help, please.  A few weeks ago I was given a full face mask to try after telling my pulmonologist that it appears my mouth is opening while I sleep, even though I use a chin strap.  I've been using a nasal mask.  There's no problem with air leakage.  However, I gave up with the full face mask because as soon as the pressure increased, the air would start leaking out.  It would seem to be okay at the beginning.  Before I could fall asleep, though, the pressure increased to the point where it would leak out in a large area.  I think the full face mask is the answer to the problem of having my mouth open, but I don't know how to keep it from leaking air.  I switched back to the nasal mask for now. 

Views: 22118

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No, I don't know how to adjust my machine pressure.  That sounds like a good plan.  Will the booklet which came with the machine explain how to do it?

Janknitz said:

If you know how to adjust your machine pressure (and you should), try setting your machine at the highest pressure you have during the night and then adjusting your mask to stop leaking. Then return it to the regular settings, but don't change the mask settings.

This is a problem for people that ramp or have an auto--you adjust it at a low pressure and it "blows out" as the pressure increases. If you have a ResMed S9, the "mask fit" feature is designed to allow you to fit the mask at the highest set pressure just for this reason.

Thank you for the advice, John.

John Mortonson said:

Give the Padacheek mask liner a try. I had problems with mask leaks with my full face mask until I tried this and started sleeping through the night again.

http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_Maskliners.html

I think my husband would give his eager approval to having me tape my mouth shut.  :) 

Mary Z said:

Unfortunately the mask seems to be the achillies heel of XPAP. Often we have to work with a mask to get it to work. Be sure the straps are not too tight (counterintuitive, I know). Some people find a small bead of silicone- use Macks silicone earplugs, available in most drug stores. You take the earplugs and roll them into a bead- I use one about the size of a pencil- and place it around the entire edge of the mask where if meets your face. You have to place the mask where you want it the first time you put it on with the silicone. Another alternative is to go back to your nasal mask and use micropore paper tape, or blue painters tape to tape your mouth shut. This works for some people. You can also talk to your DME of sleep doc about the problems you are having and they may recommend another mask. Good luck. It's a real problem.

Thanks, Todd.

Todd Loren Sinclair said:

You can view the illustrated instruction for thesecpap mask liners at cpapxchange.com

Patricia A Davis said:
I had the same problem and I found these full mask liners at RemZzzs CPAP Mask Liners. They are great. My CPAP supplier doesn't carry them but you can order them.

I have struggled with full face masks and always wound up with welts and huge discomfort at the bridge of my nose.  Currently I'm using a Resmed Mirage Liberty, which might exactly address your problem - it comprises nasal pillows and a mask that covers your mouth.  I've been using it for a couple of months and, as a mouth breather, it's the one that's worked best for me so far.

Dies anyone have experience of 'total face' masks? 

That would be awesome. I was about to start a thread with just that very question. I have a very narrow nose bridge and it always leaks there, so I have a balancing act between leaks and pressure sores.

David said:

www.remzzzs.com sells a fabric insert for a dollar or so each.  I don't know if they can be reused I have never tried.  They work pretty good but tend to slide or walk in the AM I know I tug on the mask so that may be my fault.  In my opinion full face coverage is a must and you just have to cinch it tight to lessen leaks.  After more than 20 years of fiddiling with different solutions that all have one failure or another I am looking for someone who will pour a custom mask out of some kind of foam.  If I can afford it that is.

are you using a hybrid mask or full face mask?  was the mask fitted when pressure was at your greatest titrated pressure?  It sounds like mask is not fitting your face.  Some possible things.  You may have it too tight,  try fitting it when pressure is set to your highest number, lie down and adjust one strap at a time starting with the bottom straps.  I would try loosening your straps first since it sounds like the mask is being pulled and bent around your face and probably leaking the top?  some things to try: moleskin placed in the places that are leaking can "build up" the space where it doesn't match.  Check also that your face and mask are very clean.  masks seal better when face is super clean.  another trick may be to try turning the strap topside down to see if it positions it better on your skull and face.  adding a small tie between the straps may put the straps in a more effective place and help you position the mask better.

hopefully some of these are helpful.

Some gel-type masks can be customized to a certain extent - you soak them in hot water for a few minutes and press them on to your face to mold them.  It didn't work for me with the ComfortGel - still got welts on the bridge of my nose - but might be successful for others.

David said:

...After more than 20 years of fiddiling with different solutions that all have one failure or another I am looking for someone who will pour a custom mask out of some kind of foam.  If I can afford it that is...

Jonathan, I have used the FitLife Total Face Mask for a good while now with excellent results.  No more sores on the bridge of my nose.  The adjustment I  make with this mask is to wear a knit cap that covers the crown of my head under the mask.  It takes up some slack in the headgear and keeps the mask from slipping around. Before I came up with the knit cap idea, I used a bead of silicone ( Macks Silicone Ear Plugs) with good results.  I used it arouind the total circumference of the mask.  To make the silicone last longer I removed it every morning, rolled it up in a ball and put it in an airtight container.

Jonathan Spencer said:

I have struggled with full face masks and always wound up with welts and huge discomfort at the bridge of my nose.  Currently I'm using a Resmed Mirage Liberty, which might exactly address your problem - it comprises nasal pillows and a mask that covers your mouth.  I've been using it for a couple of months and, as a mouth breather, it's the one that's worked best for me so far.

Dies anyone have experience of 'total face' masks? 

Matt:  That URL for your web site does not work

Matt Kesner said:

Danilyn, I had the same problem with my fullface mask(pressure at 18h2o, so I went about solving the problem by developing a solution I now call Quietus Liners. The cloth liners interface between your face and the mask and stopp about 98 to 99% of air leaks and the associated noises. Thye also absorb facial oils and even allow you to use moisturizer on your face at night if you so desire. Check out my new compant at www:quietusliners.comHope this helps you as well as it has others and myself.
Regards,
Matt

Hey Bill!

It's actually www.quietusliners.com  He has a colon where there should be a dot ...  They look pretty cool, I'm thinking about ordering some! :o)

Diane

Bill Smith said:

Matt:  That URL for your web site does not work

Matt Kesner said:

Danilyn, I had the same problem with my fullface mask(pressure at 18h2o, so I went about solving the problem by developing a solution I now call Quietus Liners. The cloth liners interface between your face and the mask and stopp about 98 to 99% of air leaks and the associated noises. Thye also absorb facial oils and even allow you to use moisturizer on your face at night if you so desire. Check out my new compant at www:quietusliners.comHope this helps you as well as it has others and myself.
Regards,
Matt

I had no idea Johnathan!  I'm going to try this!  Thank you for the idea!

About your nose...  

Try the "Sleep Comfort Care Pads for CPAP & BiPAP Masks" from directhomemedical.com (or from anywhere else they might be available...) :o)  They're not the best in the world for staying put (I am pressure 22 and when I lift my mask to reposition, the "care pad" gets blown out of position) but they do cushion the bridge of my nose very well when they're positioned correctly.  Wonder when the makers will redesign/reshape that ComfortGel mask and get that nose-bridge-destroyer out of there?   How much comfort can there really be in the ComfortGel when your nose is in pain all day, eh?  It's my favorite mask except for that.

Jonathan Spencer said:

Some gel-type masks can be customized to a certain extent - you soak them in hot water for a few minutes and press them on to your face to mold them.  It didn't work for me with the ComfortGel - still got welts on the bridge of my nose - but might be successful for others.

David said:

...After more than 20 years of fiddiling with different solutions that all have one failure or another I am looking for someone who will pour a custom mask out of some kind of foam.  If I can afford it that is...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service