Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
I've heard that studies are being conducted of people who still subjectively report feeling sleepy even after having successfully used CPAP. Wondering if this has happened to anyone, or how common it is?

Views: 3436

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

were you on ambien when you had your titration?

BPLink said:
Reply by Rock Hinkle 8 hours ago
As great as ambien is for sleep it will can cause movement or arousal disorders in a small % of people. How long have you been taking it?

About a year.
Yes, I was.

I also use L"Tryptophan
BP I am still researching the effects of ambien and leg movements. Sorry it has taken me a day or 2 to get back to you. I just started at a new lab and the training is pretty intense. Ambien has become the hot topic and I want to make sure that I know what I am talking about.
Ok BP, it is my understanding that ambien can and will in some cases make RLS/PLM worse. However you might not wake up because of the ambien. Ambien is not supposed to be taken more than a few times a week, and even then only until you are able to go to sleep without it. It is meant to be a short term fix as with all sleeping pills. Ambien will not help you do anyhting other than sleep. It is not a treatment for anything other than bad sleep. Unlike many antianxiety meds(xanex,valuim,klonopin) sleep is the main effect of ambien not a side effect.

Ambien is prescribed for insomnia. As I have said before insomnia is not a diagnosis, but rather a symptom of another problem. Kind of like a stomache is a symptom of the flu. These can include but are not limited to RLS, PLMS, stress, Travel, unfamilularity with a sleep environment, bad sleep hygene, newborn baby, prescription and over the counter medicines, caffeine, exercising to close to bedtime, and depression or circadian rythm disorders. If you are having a problem falling asleep or maintaining good sleep it is important that you try to find out what is causing the insomnia and fix it at the source. Sleeping pills are for people that have a circadian rythm or sleep clock problem such as delayed sleep phase syndrome, or shift worker syndrome. Even in these cases should only be taken until the problem is fixed. The stomach ache will not go away until the flu does.

Ambien will not cause parasomnias such as sleep walking, or REM Behavior Disorder. These problems were imbedded in the mind of the unfortunate few long before the ambien. My take on the few stories I have read is this. People take ambien to sleep. Not just to sleep, but to get good sleep. According to sleepguide.com what is good sleep? Stage 3 or Slow wave sleep, and REM are good sleep. Right? These are also the stages where parasomnias hide. Sleep walking occurs in slow wave sleep during the 1st third of the night. This is when Ambien would be at its peak. RBD happens in REM. It is the job of ambien to get its users to these stages of sleep. So in my opinion these stories prove that ambien is doing its job , and in doing so is only unleashing the problems that were already there. It is not the ambien's fault! Ambien is not a treatment for anything other than sleep. These problems ocurred because the underlying problems were not resolved. With or without ambien these problems will still exist.

BAD SLEEP IS A SYMPTOM OF SOMETHING ELSE FIX IT!

BP I believe that you have become dependent on ambien. Not dependent in the way that you are thinking. Ambien does not work that way. I mean that you have become dependent on the act of taking it. I would bet that if someone switched out your pills without you knowing it that you would still fall asleep. I have read and re-read every post of yours. I believe that the root of your problem lies somewhere in your arousals. Whether or not its RLS,PLM, or RBD I do not know. I do know that the Ambien is masking something. Sleep is one of the most basic of needs. It does not need a reason to come to us. However there are many things that will keep it at bay.
Rock,

I have a problem at onset of sleep (since April 08), I stop breathing and I wake up.

Ambien was the only thing I found which could get me to sleep.
Your on CPAP right now right.
I'm on a Respironics BPAP w Auto
BP even with the the pap therapy you still have this problem with sleep onset? Is it an every night thing? Have you tried sleeping without the meds? Sorry I have not gotten back to you. I went to Chicago to visit my wife's family. I promised her no sleep for the weekend.
Rock, I usually can't sleep without the ambien, even with the ambien (and the L'Tryptophan which I also use each night) I wake up after a few hours, use another L"Tryptophan and go right back to sleep.

I later find out that I don't always wake up after an apnea or a hypopnea (or clusters of both) but I only awaken right after these events.
I need to think on this BP.
I appreciate this, Rock.
No problem BP your helping me progress as much, If not more, than I have helped you so far. I have to know this stuff. We seem to be stuck in between the need for the ambien and the need to get you off of the ambien. We need to determine the true source of why you are waking up.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service