Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

The brother of one of my daughter's best friends passed away last week.  He had severe sleep apnea and was sleeping without his equipment.  He went without oxygen to his brain for almost 30 minutes.  The EMTs did all they could and the ER put him on a respirator, but the family finally called it on Friday.  He was 45 years old.

Views: 465

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wear my mask every time i lie down as i know i'll end up dozing off...sorry for your loss

Debbie

Thanks Sheila, I will try that, because you described exactly what happens to me.  I have an appointment sceduled for Monday and maybe I will get a full face mask.

Sheila Knowles said:
Bex....I don't know if this will help you or not..but a LOT of the time I feel like...even with ALL the air blowing into my mouth and nose that there is NO air in there once the suction takes place..so I lay on my left side and place my left hand on my pillow just above where the air is venting out of it. This way I feel the air blowing on my hand..and instantly I can feel all the air inside the mask and somehow it reassures me that there IS all that air blowing in there and I can breath better and deeper. If I don't feel the air on my hand tho' I feel like I am a bit claustrophobic and that there is NO air anywhere for me to breath. I don't know if it is a psychological thing or what..but THAT is what works with me. I then start to relax..enjoy the air blowing, breath better and deeper through my nose AND my mouth.. and I am asleep before I know it. I have a full face mask.

Bex said:

I am so sorry to hear that. Last night I decided that I was done with the CPAP. I have been going to bed with the mask on and falling asleep, but then waking up multiple times and just listening to the whistling of my breath or feeling like I can't breath freely. It is not improving my quality of life because I can never have a full nights sleep. Since I am unable to keep it on, I see no reason to KEEP it at all.

Alternatives anyone? I do plan to lose weight, after that I would consider jaw reconstruction.

I am so sorry! I was diagnosed a little over a year ago, and I will not go to bed w/o my CPAP. I recently had a procedure in the local hospital, which I had to be knocked out for. I told my doctor and EVERYONE I talked to in the hospital, that I had to have my CPAP put on in recovery. My sleep doctor told me to never have a procedure without it. Well, they all told me no problem, but when I woke up in recovery, guess what? No CPAP. They put it in a locker with my clothes and that's where it stayed until they released me. If a hospital won't put it on you after a procedure, how do you protect yourself?  I know they had me on a heart monitor, but that wouldn't do anything to tell them if I were to have a stroke! I just don't get it, why would they not listen and try to accomodate?

I will never have another procedure in that hospital, but what if the next hospital is the same way? Has anyone else had this happen? What if anything should I do now?

I had a procedure in the hospital where I couldn't wear the CPAP because the surgery was on my head.  The apnea monitor went off all night, but they didn't pay any attention to it. I was in Neuro intensive care. LOL!  I couldn't wear it for about two weeks while my head healed up.  SInce nothing could be done about it I just crossed my fingers.

Sherry Rachauskas said:

I am so sorry! I was diagnosed a little over a year ago, and I will not go to bed w/o my CPAP. I recently had a procedure in the local hospital, which I had to be knocked out for. I told my doctor and EVERYONE I talked to in the hospital, that I had to have my CPAP put on in recovery. My sleep doctor told me to never have a procedure without it. Well, they all told me no problem, but when I woke up in recovery, guess what? No CPAP. They put it in a locker with my clothes and that's where it stayed until they released me. If a hospital won't put it on you after a procedure, how do you protect yourself?  I know they had me on a heart monitor, but that wouldn't do anything to tell them if I were to have a stroke! I just don't get it, why would they not listen and try to accomodate?

I will never have another procedure in that hospital, but what if the next hospital is the same way? Has anyone else had this happen? What if anything should I do now?

Sheila, would you like to share your thoughts about your daughter's friend and severe sleep apnea on Sleep Apnea Guide website? There is a special place where people can share their stories or condolences related to sleep apnea death.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service