Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

Hello, I was asked to post this as a new discussion topic.  I wanted to provide some information on the Oral Systemic Balance (OSB).  I am not a dentist, I am a professor.  I have had migraines for 36 years, have had every treatment from acupuncture to Zanadine (muscle relaxant). The migraines usually came twice a week, and lasted 1-3 days. You can see how this would define my life. I got the OSB (oral systemic balance) dental device from Dr. Lawler, and have not had a migraine in 3 months. I'm one of the people Dr. Lawler has videotaped. All I can say is, I hope the dental and medical communities embrace this research so others can benefit as I have.  Dr. Lawler is studying with Dr. Farrand Robson of Tacoma Washington.

Views: 3959

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For those who have been following this discussion and have an interest in knowing more about Oral Systemic Balance, Dr. Steven Park is having one of his regular Expert Interviews devoted to Oral Systemic Balance. He is interviewing Dr. Rick Quinttus, a very experienced OSB practitioner, tomorrow. For more information or to register to listen in on the interview, go to:
http://doctorstevenpark.com/expert-interview-dr-richard-quinttus-on...
Dr. Quinttus and Dr. Park did a great job tonight.

In my consulting business, we always notice that while industries are very good at improving the way they do things, revolutionary new ways of doing things often come from outside existing industries. The discussion tonight was a reminder of this and follows my guess that a better treatment for sleep-disordered breathing will not come from the sleep labs and the CPAP machine manufacturers. They are too engrossed in developing and defending their current methodologies and do not have time to think outside that box.

As far as diagnosis, the techniques that Dr. Quinttus showed being used to examine the jaw and airway structure combined with an interview of the patient could certainly show who would benefit from treatment and eliminate the need for a PSG. This eliminates a significant cost and should be considered as a reduction of the total cost of OSB.
I am new to Sleep Guide. I am a patient of Dr. Quinttus in Dayton OH and have had my OSB (Oral Systemic Balance) dental device for 18 months. It has completely changed my life!
I have never gone for a Sleep Study, but my husband is a CPAP wearer..... so I know a little about both worlds.

For those interested in this topic, the creator of OSB, Dr. Farrand Robson will be presenting on http://www.thepowerhour.com/schedule.htm
FRIDAY – NOVEMBER 12:
Welcome, Lisa! I'm glad you've had such success, I feel the same way about my OSB. Thanks for posting the link!
Carol

Lisa Barnhart said:
I am new to Sleep Guide. I am a patient of Dr. Quinttus in Dayton OH and have had my OSB (Oral Systemic Balance) dental device for 18 months. It has completely changed my life!
I have never gone for a Sleep Study, but my husband is a CPAP wearer..... so I know a little about both worlds.

For those interested in this topic, the creator of OSB, Dr. Farrand Robson will be presenting on http://www.thepowerhour.com/schedule.htm
FRIDAY – NOVEMBER 12:
Lisa, if you have never had a sleep study, what prompted you to try OSB? This is meant as friendly inquirey, not as a grilling.

Lisa Barnhart said:

FRIDAY – NOVEMBER 12:
20 years of headaches...... a lot of prayer..... and an unwillingness to give up. In the fall of 2008 I decided to try going to a chiropractor again for my headaches. After a couple treatments I felt better than I had in 7 years. But when it was time to move to 1 appointment a week, I had shoulder pain that caused severe headaches. I challenged my chiropractor to figure it out, but his answers were other types of therapy which of course cost me more and only helped for a day.
I arranged to have my family Dr. refer me to a physical therapist that the chiropractors front desk girl said was great. Weird huh? The amazing Deb (therapist) asked a lot of questions and felt that my pain was some how coming from my jaw.... but I don't have jaw pain. After 5 visits to Deb and two weeks of headaches (since I couldn't go to the chiropractor), Deb said that she had listened to a presentation by Dr Quinttus, that my problem had more to do with my breathing, and that she "always" helps people and she was not helping me, and she gave me his phone number.
I feel very fortunate that the one physical therapy location that Dr. Quinttus has been invited to speak at happened to be where I went and that Deb was quick to follow Dr. Quinttus advise to send him the patients that they aren't able to help.
On my consult visit with Dr. Quinttus he described my life like he knew me better than my best friend. He identified symptoms that I had no idea were related to the headaches that include Brain fog, sleepless nights that felt like a visit to hell, stress related sensitivities, anxiety, depression, upset stomach, allergies and shallow breathing with catch up breaths.
In my testimony to Dr. Quinttus I stated that chiropractics and medications provided periods of relief over the past 20 years. However, emotionally I found my constant feelings of panic, fear, anxiety, depression, and powerlessness to be the wife and mother I wanted to be.... much more painful to live with than the physical symptoms.
Today, my marriage of 24 years is like newlyweds again and my kids have a "new" mom.
There is a LOT more to breathing issues than apnea. My wear my OSB 24/7 except to eat.
I hope I answered your question.... no way to shorten the explanation of a medical miracle.
Lisa
Exactly, Lisa! I'm so glad to hear that you finally have relief. It's amazing not to be "that migraine person," isn't it? I'm loving it.
Carol

Lisa Barnhart said:
20 years of headaches...... a lot of prayer..... and an unwillingness to give up. In the fall of 2008 I decided to try going to a chiropractor again for my headaches. After a couple treatments I felt better than I had in 7 years. But when it was time to move to 1 appointment a week, I had shoulder pain that caused severe headaches. I challenged my chiropractor to figure it out, but his answers were other types of therapy which of course cost me more and only helped for a day.
I arranged to have my family Dr. refer me to a physical therapist that the chiropractors front desk girl said was great. Weird huh? The amazing Deb (therapist) asked a lot of questions and felt that my pain was some how coming from my jaw.... but I don't have jaw pain. After 5 visits to Deb and two weeks of headaches (since I couldn't go to the chiropractor), Deb said that she had listened to a presentation by Dr Quinttus, that my problem had more to do with my breathing, and that she "always" helps people and she was not helping me, and she gave me his phone number.
I feel very fortunate that the one physical therapy location that Dr. Quinttus has been invited to speak at happened to be where I went and that Deb was quick to follow Dr. Quinttus advise to send him the patients that they aren't able to help.
On my consult visit with Dr. Quinttus he described my life like he knew me better than my best friend. He identified symptoms that I had no idea were related to the headaches that include Brain fog, sleepless nights that felt like a visit to hell, stress related sensitivities, anxiety, depression, upset stomach, allergies and shallow breathing with catch up breaths.
In my testimony to Dr. Quinttus I stated that chiropractics and medications provided periods of relief over the past 20 years. However, emotionally I found my constant feelings of panic, fear, anxiety, depression, and powerlessness to be the wife and mother I wanted to be.... much more painful to live with than the physical symptoms.
Today, my marriage of 24 years is like newlyweds again and my kids have a "new" mom.
There is a LOT more to breathing issues than apnea. My wear my OSB 24/7 except to eat.
I hope I answered your question.... no way to shorten the explanation of a medical miracle.
Lisa
Lisa, Thanks so much for posting your story and for posting the schedule for Dr. Robson on thepowerhour.com.

I will be away Friday but it looks like they have the practice of putting all the shows in the archives, so I will look for it later and will certainly be interested to hear Dr. Robson.

Thanks again.
Mary, I want to comment on your question about whether or not Lisa has had a sleep study. We all know that sleep studies are important but they can often be a double edge sword. Anywhere from 20-30% of diagnosable sleep apnea patients are told that they do not have sleep apnea due the the night to night variability of sleep patterns. This variability is much greater in the more mild form of OSA. Those with upper airway resistance who have breathing difficulties during sleep but who do not have oxygen desaturations almost always are told that they they have no problem. So these people patients close the door to the possibility that sleep is a problem because they had a sleep study that told them they had no problem.

A very significant number of my Oral Systemic Balance patients would never get a diagnosis for obstructive sleep apnea with a PSG and would be more likely to have upper airway resistance syndrome. The only problem is that this diagnosis is rarely given. To see my rants on this particular issue go to my website at: http://www.centerforsoundsleep.com/blog/upper-airway-resistance-syn...

Mary Z said:
Lisa, if you have never had a sleep study, what prompted you to try OSB? This is meant as friendly inquirey, not as a grilling.

Lisa Barnhart said:

FRIDAY – NOVEMBER 12:
Thanks for the reply, Lisa. What a fortuitous turn of events (I realize this took a great deal of time, pain, and most of all determination) that you were able to get the OSB.
I am happy to see that some other industries are getting involved in the sleep business in a big way. As a business consultant, I know that true innovation often comes from outside an industry.

Sleep labs are fundamentally doing sleep studies the same way they were done twenty years ago. Despite some improvements in masks and minor improvements in machines, the majority of CPAP users are getting the same type of treatment that was used 25 years ago.

The traditional sleep business is growing and profitable and will cling to the methods that have made them profitable and not look for innovation. They will do a good job for many patients who have moderate apnea, low to average CPAP pressure requirements, and are easily tolerant of CPAP or very determined to use CPAP.

For patients who have UARS or severe apnea or require high CPAP pressures or are neither tolerant of CPAP nor determined to use CPAP, traditional sleep business is doing a very poor job. And this is a very large segment of the patient population for whom a poor job is being done.

Best of luck in promoting your business.
Banyon I understand your frustration. No matter what the severity of your apnea this CPAP can be difficult. I would like to touch base on a few things that you have said:

"Sleep labs are fundamentally doing sleep studies the same way they were done twenty years ago. Despite some improvements in masks and minor improvements in machines, the majority of CPAP users are getting the same type of treatment that was used 25 years ago."

and...

"Anywhere from 20-30% of diagnosable sleep apnea patients are told that they do not have sleep apnea due to the night to night variability of sleep patterns. This variability is much greater in the more mild form of OSA. Those with upper airway resistance who have breathing difficulties during sleep but who do not have oxygen desaturations almost always are told that they they have no problem. So these people patients close the door to the possibility that sleep is a problem because they had a sleep study that told them they had no problem."

25 years ago a sleep study was a 2-3 night commitment for each pt. The first was for diagnostic, and to help overcome first night effect. The second was done as a split night to help verify sleeping trends and titrate. The third was in the back pocket of the tech if needed. If this practice were done today I believe it would be a whole different ballgame.

The sleep industry did not end this practice. Many in the industry would like it to come back myself included. The insurance companies put an end to this type of practice in an effort to save themselves money.

As for the 20-30% false negatives I just have not seen them in my practice. I would blame scoring reliability more for this then I would blaim it on bad teching. The AASM has given too many options to the scoring rules allowing for big differences between labs. In NYC many of the labs score off of the chicago criteria which follows a 3% desat for hyopneas. In Indiana most of the labs score off of the 4% rule. If one were to have the same test in both places they would probably get 2 very different results. The same can be said for 2 labs located a few bocks from one another. A tightening up of the rules would most likely put an end to the false negatives you talk about.

I wish that I could help everyone with intolorance issues. I wish that I could find a way to reach everyone that just said that they won't do it. The harsh reality is that I can't. no one can help 100% of everyone 100% of the time. In any system people are going to fall, or jump through the cracks. In the mean time I will continue to push the sleep industry as a whole to do a better job. Sooner or later they will make an HST that works. Unfortunately that has yet to happen. Until I see positive results for myself I ll continue to speak out against the corporate(insurance money) funded research that is being published.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service