Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

Hello, I was asked to post this as a new discussion topic.  I wanted to provide some information on the Oral Systemic Balance (OSB).  I am not a dentist, I am a professor.  I have had migraines for 36 years, have had every treatment from acupuncture to Zanadine (muscle relaxant). The migraines usually came twice a week, and lasted 1-3 days. You can see how this would define my life. I got the OSB (oral systemic balance) dental device from Dr. Lawler, and have not had a migraine in 3 months. I'm one of the people Dr. Lawler has videotaped. All I can say is, I hope the dental and medical communities embrace this research so others can benefit as I have.  Dr. Lawler is studying with Dr. Farrand Robson of Tacoma Washington.

Views: 3959

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I did my home sleep test last night and the numbers absolutely remarkable. Dr lawler was very pleased and optimistic. He has referred me to the local sleep lab for an overnight study. It looks very promising, I may not be on bpap any longer. This is the best news I have had in 2 years concrening my sleep apnea.

My oxygen levels never dropped below 93% last night.. The sleep study I had last year my levels dropped to 70% and in a study done 2 years ago my level dropped into the 60's and remained for over an hour at a time.

I am very greatful for Dr Lawlers work and the Oral Systematic Balance devices.

On another note, this past Saturday I worked 4 hours, and after work drove 1 hour to a state park and spent a couple hours walking around with my wife and 15 month old grandaughter. I pushed the stoller and even helped carry it up 2 flights of stairs in a 3 story building built in the 1800's (very steep and high stairways) without using a handrail. 1 month ago I could barely walk up a few stairs with the use of handrail. Then I drove home and went out and hand washed the van. I expierienced no pain after this very active day. Before OSB this kind of activity would had kept in bed the next day from unbearable pain. This increased oxygen to my body has changed my life.

carl
Wow, that is awesome! Thanks for filing us in. Imagine how hard your body has been working before now. So glad for you.
Carol

Carl Speas said:
I did my home sleep test last night and the numbers absolutely remarkable. Dr lawler was very pleased and optimistic. He has referred me to the local sleep lab for an overnight study. It looks very promising, I may not be on bpap any longer. This is the best news I have had in 2 years concrening my sleep apnea.

My oxygen levels never dropped below 93% last night.. The sleep study I had last year my levels dropped to 70% and in a study done 2 years ago my level dropped into the 60's and remained for over an hour at a time.

On another note, this past Saturday I worked 4 hours, and after work drove 1 hour to a state park and spent a couple hours walking around with my wife and 15 month old grandaughter. I pushed the stoller and even helped carry it up 2 flights of stairs in a 3 story building built in the 1800's (very steep and high stairways) without using a handrail. 1 month ago I could barely walk up a few stairs with the use of handrail. Then I drove home and went out and hand washed the van. I expierienced no pain after this very active day. Before OSB this kind of activity would had kept in bed the next day from unbearable pain. This increased oxygen to my body has changed my life.

carl

Carl Speas said:

carl

Carl, your gratitude should be directed to Dr. Robson who developed this concept. I merely did my best to take what he teaches and apply this knowledge to your body.

I was unaware of the existence of this discussion until Carl mentioned to me last Friday that he found out about Oral Systemic Balance (OSB) from Carol who started this thread. I would like to add as much information as I can to enhance the understanding about this amazing therapy. First, it is extremely important for me to convey that I do not consider myself an expert in OSB. If anything, I am at the very early stages of my learning curve. To conserve time and energy, I will copy a link to the place on my website where I discuss this concept at great depth: http://www.centerforsoundsleep.com/blog/oral-systemic-balance/

At this website I have done my very best to make the concept understandable. There are numerous videos that I have posted that show patients at various stages of the orthotic placement appointment. I have done this because some of the results that occur during this appointment would not be credible without video documentation. I am eternally grateful for patients like Carol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXEjePEJGgo ) who consented to have their process so publicly displayed. They have done so in order that they may reach out to others who have suffered as they have.

At present I have little time to respond more. I am lecturing to the Indiana Society for Respiratory care later this week and have a lot of work to do on my slides. However, if after looking at the information on my website, people have questions, I am happy to respond. By the way, Carl will be featured at this presentation, not because his OSB outcome was so successful, but because it should have been so obvious from the start, based on his anatomy, that the previous approaches would not have been.
Dr. Lawler,

Congratulations to you and Dr. Robson for the work and innovation.

I have a vision that soon our society will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea will become an obscure bit of history.

Have you and Dr. Robson ever considered prevention during childhood development?

Best regards,
Dr. Steven Park did an amazing telephone interview a couple of weeks ago with Dr. Ray Silkman who discussed the concept of jaw development brilliantly. I have no idea if this interview is still available. If Dr. Park is monitoring this thread, perhaps he can tell us.

The bottom line is that of over 5400 species of mammals, we are the only species that commonly deals with crooked teeth. This problem is directly due to our underdeveloped jaws that occur from poor nutrition, excess sugar consumption, bottle feeding, etc.

May your vision come true.
Good idea, I missed Dr. Park's interview with Dr. Silkman, but it seems to be available here: http://doctorstevenpark.com/expert-interview-dr-raymond-silkman-hol...
There's an interesting 2-years-old thread on this topic at another discussion board: http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/message-boards/viewtopic.php?t=21479
And another one - starts off skeptical but...

http://leifgrunseth.com/2008/10/oral-systemic-balance-dental-miracle/

David E. Lawler DDS D.ABDSM said:

The bottom line is that of over 5400 species of mammals, we are the only species that commonly deals with crooked teeth. This problem is directly due to our underdeveloped jaws that occur from poor nutrition, excess sugar consumption, bottle feeding, etc.

May your vision come true.

Having bred and shown dogs for some 30 years I have to differ w/this comment that we are the only species that commonly deals w/crooked teeth!!! There are multiple breeds w/common jaw problems and crooked, even missing, teeth. And I don't know how common it is but "parrot mouth" in horses is not particularly rare.
Judy, your comment points directly to the issue. You talk about having bred dogs….. There are a few breeds of dogs that have been selectively bred to have flat faces. Pugs, bull dogs, etc. This selective breeding creates small jaws and these animals are prone to sleep breathing disorders as well. I would also ask you to take a good look at the food sources of the animals with crowding or missing teeth. Animals found in nature rarely have underdeveloped jaws. Look at old photos of some of the very early American Indians or peoples of any other culture before "modern" foods and you will clearly see people with very well developed jaws.

The undeveloped jaw is a big deal. What is not taken into consideration is the fact that, while the jaw does not form properly for whatever reason, the tongue commonly develops to its full genetic size. This leads to a "10 gallon tongue in a 5 gallon mouth". Since the tongue cannot easily fit within the upper and lower reduced size jaws it goes further back into the throat. It is this issue which is at the center of many patients sleep-related breathing issues. What is not commonly recognized and what Dr. Robson has discovered is that the tongue being positioned farther back in the mouth is the root cause of a great many patient's head and neck pain as well. Again, what is not commonly recognized is how very important proper function is the area of the human throat. It was the dysfunction in this area that lead to Carol's extraordinary amount of chronic pain. It was the dysfunction in this area that caused Carl's head and neck pain and that made it difficult for him to walk down stairs because of balance issues. In the following video clip, Carol talks about "being more over her feet or more centered over her feet": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV3dzzxNGMA It is not uncommon for patients treated with OSB to talk about improvement in balance. So hearing Carl talk about being able to walk down stairs better was not surprising to me.

The following video of a patient that I worked with two weeks ago shows clearly the downstream effect of getting the tongue out of the back of the throat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A2ljt_ZRJY The comments that she makes about enhanced breathing speak to the heart of the concept behind OSB. A tongue mass-jaw size discrepancy clearly makes swallowing more difficult. This patient had a very "noisy" swallow. She occasionally choked on food. She was unaware of a breathing problem. Notice her comments that she makes about breathing after the OSB orthotic is placed. Swallowing and breathing are inextricably linked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnUb0JK88a4

It appears that breathing is important 24 hours a day.
Today is another morning when I awakened completely relaxed and refreshed. My jaw problems started because of the orthodontics that were "state of the art" in 1968. My lower jaw was pushed back and made smaller. I am now freed from chronic migraines (36 years) and other pain. It's pretty wonderful.

David E. Lawler DDS D.ABDSM said:
Judy, your comment points directly to the issue. You talk about having bred dogs….. There are a few breeds of dogs that have been selectively bred to have flat faces. Pugs, bull dogs, etc. This selective breeding creates small jaws and these animals are prone to sleep breathing disorders as well. I would also ask you to take a good look at the food sources of the animals with crowding or missing teeth. Animals found in nature rarely have underdeveloped jaws. Look at old photos of some of the very early American Indians or peoples of any other culture before "modern" foods and you will clearly see people with very well developed jaws.

The undeveloped jaw is a big deal. What is not taken into consideration is the fact that, while the jaw does not form properly for whatever reason, the tongue commonly develops to its full genetic size. This leads to a "10 gallon tongue in a 5 gallon mouth". Since the tongue cannot easily fit within the upper and lower reduced size jaws it goes further back into the throat. It is this issue which is at the center of many patients sleep-related breathing issues. What is not commonly recognized and what Dr. Robson has discovered is that the tongue being positioned farther back in the mouth is the root cause of a great many patient's head and neck pain as well. Again, what is not commonly recognized is how very important proper function is the area of the human throat. It was the dysfunction in this area that lead to Carol's extraordinary amount of chronic pain. It was the dysfunction in this area that caused Carl's head and neck pain and that made it difficult for him to walk down stairs because of balance issues. In the following video clip, Carol talks about "being more over her feet or more centered over her feet": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV3dzzxNGMA It is not uncommon for patients treated with OSB to talk about improvement in balance. So hearing Carl talk about being able to walk down stairs better was not surprising to me.

The following video of a patient that I worked with two weeks ago shows clearly the downstream effect of getting the tongue out of the back of the throat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A2ljt_ZRJY The comments that she makes about enhanced breathing speak to the heart of the concept behind OSB. A tongue mass-jaw size discrepancy clearly makes swallowing more difficult. This patient had a very "noisy" swallow. She occasionally choked on food. She was unaware of a breathing problem. Notice her comments that she makes about breathing after the OSB orthotic is placed. Swallowing and breathing are inextricably linked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnUb0JK88a4

It appears that breathing is important 24 hours a day.
*Giggle* I sure won't argue w/this comment!!!

"... It appears that breathing is important 24 hours a day."

I have COPD.

As far as selecting for specific jaw malformation in some breeds, there are those breeds NOT bred for malformed jaws that have a relatively common bite problem. In Canaan Dogs which are a recently recognized breed springing from the feral and wild pariah dogs of the Mid East and specifically Israel and the Negev desert there are even bites, undershot bites and overshot bites - and there is NOTHING extreme about the pariah or Canaan Dogs. Collies often have lower molars that fit to the OUTSIDE of the upper molars. Of course, the Collie head is a bit more extreme, longer and leaner than the "norm" for dog breeds. While I am aware of other breeds, breeds that don't call for any extremes in head type, I have been "out" of breeding and showing for 10 years now and memories dim as to specific problems in specific breeds not my own to want to post others here.

On the other hand, my only reason for commenting is my problem w/a blanket statement I knew to be incorrect.

And I wish I had high speed dial up, I just don't "do" youtube, myface and all that stuff due to slow speed dial up. I especially appreciate your comments regarding balance & swallowing difficulties. My sleep difficulties began with a whiplash in early 1994. I declined transport to ER and didn't even go to see a doctor until 3 weeks after the fact. My husband had been rear-ended some 10 years earlier and a whiplash and the pain, stiffness, etc. was gone by the end of the second week after the accident. I figured that's about what I would encounter as well. DUMB! Xrays 3 weeks after the fact verified a hyperexten injury and a cervical bone chip. Ever since that whiplash I've had a head forward, shoulders rolled forward posture. I SHOULD have gone to ER and worn a cervical collar or whatever "treatment" or therapy could have been given and/or scripted at that time. The swallowing problem is not extreme and I have more problems w/liquids and swallowing too much air except when sipping rather than drinking since that time and my balance hasn't been bad but also not as good as before the accident. I had my seat belt on and didn't hit my head BUT I did "black out". I had excruciating pain across the forehead for several minutes and I could NOT see ANYTHING except black and some flashing dots of light and I could NOT move or speak for what seemed 4-5 minutes but was probably more like a minute at most. THAT was scarey, moreso than the neck and shoulder pain. I was looking right when hit and most of my resulting problems occurred on the left. Evidently there was some left chest muscle and rib "joint" cartilage damage from the whiplash as well w/some residual effects even after all these years w/use of my arms above my chest or a lot of arm movement, such as when grooming a dog, etc.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service