Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
OK after waiting almost 7 months I finally have my titrate machine for 10 days, when that goes back I get my permanent device.

As expected it took me ages to get off to sleep last night, I had to take 10mg diazepam to get me off, I woke up at half 6 (I'm normally up at about 8.30) and didn't feel as tired as I normally would from having less sleep but I certainly didn't feel any more energetic. Less tired but not energetic.

This afternoon I had a sleep (yep, still tired in the afternoon) but I had so much trouble getting off - I'd start to drift off but then I'd wake up with an intake of breath - a bit like a large sigh - what was that all about?

Views: 182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ouch. that sucks. not to be a drug pusher here, but there's a new study out on the desirability of using Lunesta as a sleep aid for the first couple of weeks on CPAP: http://www.sleepguide.com/forum/topics/sleep-aid-cpap-success. you might consider this with your doctor, just to get you over the hump of initial acclimation to CPAP therapy.

Russ Burt said:
Yes I have. Although saying that it's only the once this has happened.
I happen to believe that you are more likely to have a lower AHI on a set pressure. If the titrating tech was any good that is. That is why it is so important that we see a patient sleep in all positions when we titrate. Then only reason for a change in pressure would be due to a change in weight. Russ however did not have a titration study. Not even sure if he had a sleep study to be honest. His pressure is going to be a moving target. A guessing game if you will.

Mike said:
ok, just a word of caution, though: the airway/throat is a very dynamic, ever changing place, and just because you're getting a "set CPAP" doesn't mean that set pressure is going to be the right one for you all the time, or that it's even the right one for you now. it was probably prescribed based on one sleep study based on one night's data.... a good snapshot, yes, but i'd suggest thinking of the pressure you'll need at any given time in your life as more of a moving target than a fixed one. make sense?

Russ Burt said:
I'm getting my set CPAP tomorrow anyway
It's true I didn't have a sleep study, all I had was one of those watch-like devices with a strap that goes over my finger.
so your AHI of 19 could be based of of stage wake, or transitional events. No wonder you are waking up due to pressure. Your AHI could very well be 8, 9 or even lower. Without a sleep study there is no way to verify AHI. No way to verify central apnea or any of the underlying causes. Russ that sigh that you were describing could be killing you. You or your doc will never though, because you took a cost efficient short cut.
Russ Burt said:
It's true I didn't have a sleep study, all I had was one of those watch-like devices with a strap that goes over my finger.
I understood Russ to say this has happened only once.
The sighing happens each night, but doesnt seem so often now though.
Russ I am glad that you are being treated, and that it seems to be going well for you. I just believe that this is bad practice. To much room for error.
Dan he waited 7 months to get his machine. Don't forget socialized medicine will have it's draw backs too.

Dan Lyons said:
Keep in mind that the UK has a socialized medical system. This may be one of the ways in which their system is set up.

Isn't it going to be nice when we get our socialized medical system! Gotta love the "change".

Duane McDade said:
yesb they do i work in a sleep lab and the doctors here would not dream of auto titrating anyone of our patients! NEVER!! so, my answer is yes ....and they should not! Its not best form your health. It's criminal.

Russ Burt said:
Oh right - I guess they just do things differently here then.
OK guys I finally have my own machine. I've found out I should only have had to wait 3 months for it but due to Laurel and Hardy style management it's taken 3 years from when I first reported it to today.

The findings from my titrate were interesting. Most of it made no sense to me but they found that whereas without the mask I was getting 19 incidents a night, with the mask they'd dropped to an AHI of 6, so - success! My apnoea is being treated. The pressure ramp was from 4 to 16, and the incidents that were forcing me awake were around the 15 mark. I now have my own device (complete with a letter allowing me to take it on any plane as hand luggage) with pressure set at 12 which was where it was affective.

The leakage time over 6 and a half hours' sleep was 3 minutes which isn't really a problem but they've given me a spare different mask to try,

So now begins the rest of my life....I hope....
Whew! FINALLY! Congratulations, Russ Burt, on FINALLY getting your xPAP!!! I've always said you need Patience, Perseverence and a Good Sense of Humor with CPAP therapy. But you MUST hold the record for Perseverence in just GETTING a CPAP. May you have many, many restful nights of superb sleep.
Russ, Duane is expressing a popular sentiment among those in the sleep community and he's right, but don't worry about it. You have the insurance you have, and you have (apparently) OSA. Go along with the program, get on CPAP the best way you can, & look to the Sleepguide folks to help.

Duane McDade said:
Oh my God!!! I've heard about cases like yours before! You need to be titrated by a human not a machine. This should be against the Law!!!! I get at least 3 patients a month who have done what you are doing. Good luck. This is not the way to get your pressure.
I too agree with Duane, but I am glad that you are receiving your treatment. Good luck.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service