Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
Conducting an informal survey on what meds people on this forum are using, if any, to help them sleep . . .

Views: 816

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was prescribed 1 mg of Klonopin, but had a reaction even to such a low dose.  I've stopped ever since and I really avoid prescription sleep aids and prescriptions in general.

I have some decent results with 100mg of L-Theanine and 100% natural Lithium Orotate with Kava Kava.

I also use 'Bhami' oil, otherwise known as the Ayurvedic herb called Bacoba.  I'm starting to get some positive results with this combo and there aren't any side-effects

Very informative reply and I think I'll experiment with this combo. I currently use a combo of L-Theanine, natural Lithium orotate and Kava Kava

Socknitster said:
I take natural supplements only. I take a neurotransmitter called GABA, an amino acid called glutamine, an amino acid called 5-HTP, an amino acid called taurine and a neurotransmitter called melatonin. All of these help me relax, fall asleep and stay asleep.

I used to take Lyrica, but found out it was an analog of GABA. Meaning it's the same molecule with one small change. I was having some side effects from the Lyrica so I decided to switch. I got the same effect, with no side effects and a much cheaper price tag.

I take the others because I have chronically poor digestion. I don't digest protein well. Protein is broken down into amino acids and the body uses amino acids to make neurotransmitters. I firmly believe, after tons of research on the subject, that neurologic problems including depression and many other disorders are caused by lack of protein in the diet or poor protein digestion. Depressed foks aren't deficient in Prozac! They are deficient in serotonin (made from tryptophan via the intermediate 5-HTP. If interested read THE MOOD CURE, or WHAT YOUR DOCTOR MAY NOT TELL YOU ABOUT DEPRESSION.

I also take digestive enzymes and betaine HCL whenever I eat protein and I eat a lot more of it now. It is the single thing that has helped improve my health more than any other factor. And I was really sick a year ago with chronic fatigue syndrome.

None

valerian root, grape seed extract, magnesium, ranitidine,  and aleve. I sleep well with these, with no reflux.
No sleep aids needed, thank God.  Coffee all day to stay awake.  No problem sleeping.
silenor it helps me stay asleep
I tried ambien and benadryl, they created more problems then they solved. Now I do 30 minutes of vigorous exercise first thing in the morning and walk to work to make sure I get some exposure to sunlight. I am usually worn out by bedtime. A little wine with dinner is ok too. I also do not eat anything after dinner. Also no web surfing after 9pm.
I work 3am to 11:30am and am up late with my kiddo's, so NO sleep aids needed.  I usually fall asleep as soon as I put my mask on, turn the machine on, and my head hits the pillow :)
Lunesta
Medication for sleep? None at all. As soon as I put on my CPAP mask, I'm out in less than 5 minutes.

When I need it, I take half the generic for Ambien (5 mg) and it works great for about six hours. I don't feel dopey from it. Lately I am sleeping much better, as I have gotten used to CPAP therapy and use it every night, and as my menopausal symptoms have eased up (still on small dose of Estradiol).

What I eat really affects how I sleep as well. Recently I have cut out the bedtime snack so no food 2-3 hours before bed and this helps a great deal. Also, I have improved  my diet so I am eating at least 2 cups of veggies and 2 cups of fruit each day, plus more legumes and whole grains and less meat and salt. And almost NO ADDED SUGAR. I believe all the sugar, salt and white carbs Americans eat has a huge negative effect on our health. Especially as we get older : )

And of course, exercise is as important as diet.

I sometimes take 100mg of ultram and 20mg of flexeril before bed for my chronic back pain, and this puts me out in 15 minutes. I don't like taking these however, as the dizzying side effects can affect my work throughout the day.  I used to take a sleep supplement called GNC STAT! Go To Sleep from GNC.  It contained valerian root, melatonin, and other herbal supplements to aid with sleep.  It's a bit pricey from what I remember, but absolutely effective for putting me to sleep within a half an hour.  I used this for about 6 weeks until my sleep cycle was back to normal. I now just have herbal teas like chamomile or sleepytime before I go to bed.  Another key thing to help me get more sleep was to turn off or discontinue use of all my electronic devices.  This includes cell phone, laptop, ipad, TV, etc. Using these devices late at night was the main reason for me lacking sleep.  Web browsing, texting, and game-playing are like natural stimulants, and are similarly addictive! If I do have my iPhone on these days, it's usually on Pandora playing my favorite "sleep station".

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service