Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
Conducting an informal survey on what meds people on this forum are using, if any, to help them sleep . . .

Views: 816

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tylenol PM's

I wish I could say that what I took helps me to sleep, but nothing does. However, I still take 5-htp, l-tryptophan, valieran, passionflower, and melatonin -- I fear if I did not take it I wouldn't even sleep the little bit I do. I do fall asleep without a problem, but I am up sometimes after just an hour or so. And then it seems almost every hour after that. (And this is good for me, used to be I couldn't even fall asleep!)

The sleep doc had me on 62.5 mgs of neurontin last week, it helped with the arousals a little--could actually sleep about 3-4 hours without waking, but after about 5 days I wanted to eat everything in sight and then some. He switched me to doxepin, I started it last night, but it did absolutely nothing, so I will up the dose as per his orders tonight.

I have tried these same meds 10 years ago and they didn't help then. I was hoping that maybe my body was different now and they would help. Who knows maybe they will. I sure wish I could find something that helped me sleep. But considering I have had insomnia for over 40 years, don't know if I will ever be able to sleep. But sure would be nice!

I wish I could say that what I took helps me to sleep, but nothing does. However, I still take 5-htp, l-tryptophan, valieran, passionflower, and melatonin -- I fear if I did not take it I wouldn't even sleep the little bit I do. I do fall asleep without a problem, but I am up sometimes after just an hour or so. And then it seems almost every hour after that. (And this is good for me, used to be I couldn't even fall asleep!)

The sleep doc had me on 62.5 mgs of neurontin last week, it helped with the arousals a little--could actually sleep about 3-4 hours without waking, but after about 5 days I wanted to eat everything in sight and then some. He switched me to doxepin, I started it last night, but it did absolutely nothing, so I will up the dose as per his orders tonight.

I have tried these same meds 10 years ago and they didn't help then. I was hoping that maybe my body was different now and they would help. Who knows maybe they will. I sure wish I could find something that helped me sleep. But considering I have had insomnia for over 40 years, don't know if I will ever be able to sleep. But sure would be nice!

Mary,

Sounds like you're suffering from classic symptoms of Adrenal Exhaustion.    Most allopathic doctors don't acknowledge this issue because there aren't any pharmaceutical drugs to addresses and profit from it.   Consider Dr. Wilson's website www.adrenalfatigue.org

Regards,

Jay

That is my problem. NOTHING will help you sleep if the adrenals are malfunctioning.

Jay Polatnick said:

Mary,

Sounds like you're suffering from classic symptoms of Adrenal Exhaustion.    Most allopathic doctors don't acknowledge this issue because there aren't any pharmaceutical drugs to addresses and profit from it.   Consider Dr. Wilson's website www.adrenalfatigue.org

Regards,

Jay

Yes, Jay, my guess is you are right. I am also pretty sure I am suffering from Adrenal exhaustion and low thyroid. And you are right about allopathic doctors, none of them will acknowledge it. However, I have yet to find an alternative doctor who I like. Most of them are so full of themselves I find them obnoxious and difficult to work with. Not to mention how expensive they are, especially their first visit.
I did read Dr. WIlson's book and looked into his supplements, but I already take most of what he suggests -- I can't imagine how bad I would be without all I take. I also have taken Adrenal extracts, but they didn't seem to do anything.

Mary, Sounds like you're suffering from classic symptoms of Adrenal Exhaustion.    Most allopathic doctors don't acknowledge this issue because there aren't any pharmaceutical drugs to addresses and profit from it.   Consider Dr. Wilson's website www.adrenalfatigue.org

My thyroid doc tested me for it - just insist on the test. If he wont do it, get a referral to an (other) endocrinologist.

On sleep:  when I need Hydrocodone for something else, I have the best sleep of all.  I recently started getting restless legs once in a great while.  I read narcs are good for that.  After 30 min of 2.5 Hydrocodone the legs are OK and soon after I am asleep.  So it isnt just that I sleep through the legs (I dont think I could - they wake me up sometimes)  

Mary Callahan said:

Yes, Jay, my guess is you are right. I am also pretty sure I am suffering from Adrenal exhaustion and low thyroid. And you are right about allopathic doctors, none of them will acknowledge it. However, I have yet to find an alternative doctor who I like. Most of them are so full of themselves I find them obnoxious and difficult to work with. Not to mention how expensive they are, especially their first visit.
I did read Dr. WIlson's book and looked into his supplements, but I already take most of what he suggests -- I can't imagine how bad I would be without all I take. I also have taken Adrenal extracts, but they didn't seem to do anything.

Mary, Sounds like you're suffering from classic symptoms of Adrenal Exhaustion.    Most allopathic doctors don't acknowledge this issue because there aren't any pharmaceutical drugs to addresses and profit from it.   Consider Dr. Wilson's website www.adrenalfatigue.org

Adrenal extracts have an up and a down side.  The down side is that they make your Adrenals lazy.  Consider very high quality Vitamin C supplements to rebuild your adrenals.  Reference......http://www.drlam.com/articles/adrenal_fatigue.asp?page=3

Mary Callahan said:

I found I could not take GABA, that it made me hyper. Why would that be?

Socknitster said:

Peggy McGalliard said:
I take the natural supplements you listed as well. How much of the GABA do you take? I take 750 mg, and wonder if I should add more. 

Socknitster said:
I take natural supplements only. I take a neurotransmitter called GABA, an amino acid called glutamine, an amino acid called 5-HTP, an amino acid called taurine and a neurotransmitter called melatonin. All of these help me relax, fall asleep and stay asleep.

I used to take Lyrica, but found out it was an analog of GABA. Meaning it's the same molecule with one small change. I was having some side effects from the Lyrica so I decided to switch. I got the same effect, with no side effects and a much cheaper price tag.

I take the others because I have chronically poor digestion. I don't digest protein well. Protein is broken down into amino acids and the body uses amino acids to make neurotransmitters. I firmly believe, after tons of research on the subject, that neurologic problems including depression and many other disorders are caused by lack of protein in the diet or poor protein digestion. Depressed foks aren't deficient in Prozac! They are deficient in serotonin (made from tryptophan via the intermediate 5-HTP. If interested read THE MOOD CURE, or WHAT YOUR DOCTOR MAY NOT TELL YOU ABOUT DEPRESSION.

I also take digestive enzymes and betaine HCL whenever I eat protein and I eat a lot more of it now. It is the single thing that has helped improve my health more than any other factor. And I was really sick a year ago with chronic fatigue syndrome.

I also take 750 mg. You can take it throughout the day if you are anxious, but that made me too sleepy. I have been tweaking my supplements for about a year to find the combination and dosage that works for me. It takes time to work out. I'm not sure if you should take more tha 750 at one time. You will have to research that. The books I mentioned could help you with that.
good idea, Janie.  I'm considering that.

Janie Simmons said:

Mike,

This is an interesting question but, how about setting up a survey monkey? They're free and you can make it anonymous. I don't how many people really want to tell everyone what meds they take.

--Janie

I can't believe you are on so much doxipen, considering I am having difficulty taking 2mgs! (liquid version) Leaves me feeling so groggy for hours after I get up. I am afraid to take more as the 2mg does not really help my sleep, but if I go to 3mgs I might not be able to function tomorrow.

I guess we are all so different. And that's why there are so many medicines and so many dosings of those medications. There is something for everyone. However, I am still trying to find mine!

Dan Opp said:

I take 150 to 300 or so of doxipen and it most often works

I do not take many drugs at all. I did take Xyrem, but my insurance would not cover it any longer, and I can not afford the thousands it costs. And Xyrem was the only drug that actually gives one stage 3 sleep and I had no side effects from it. Only the Xyrem 'knocked' me out, but at least when I got up I was refreshed, probably since it does get one into stage 3 sleep. It is used for narcoleptics. I was using it off-label. I have tried the nuerontin and doxipen, but they did not help me sleep at all. And they certainly did not knock me out. 

Other than that all I take is supplements. I take the sleep revitalization formula from Enzymatic therapy. Is that the one you were referring to? I do take Taurine at night as well.

My bedroom is 100% dark, as I use room darkening shades as well as room darkening drapes. There is no computer in the room. The TV is rarely on and certainly not before bedtime. Actually it is only on for the traffic and weather which comes on every 2 minutes, and then it is off. Only thing that lights up is the cpap machine, and I have tried putting heavy paper over the lcd windows to keep the room dark. I eat at least 3 hours before sleep, and turn off the TV and Computer most nights hours before bedtime. I have a nightly ritual as well. I try to go to bed and get up the same time every day within 45 minutes. Having had insomnia for over 40 years, and being treated for it for the last 10 years, I can honestly say I do practice good sleep hygiene. But unfortunately, other than the Xyrem, nothing has ever helped me sleep. And now add to the life-long treatment-resistant insomnia, a healthy dose of sleep apnea, and you have one really exhausted, sleep-deprived person.

Socknitster said:

Mary Callahan said:
I found I could not take GABA, that it made me hyper. Why would that be?

It may have been too high of a dose. I haven't heard of GABA causing jitteriness, but I have heard of Glutamine doing that which is an amino acid that is a precursor for GABA. I have heard if you take more than 2000 mg of Glutamine, it can make you jittery. A smaller dose of GABA, a different brand or a different amino acid might be more useful for you as an individual. Taurine is said to help you stay calm and glycine is said to help relax muscles. If you want to increase that effect, you can get a 2 in one supplement by buying magnesium taurate or magnesium glycinate. Magnesium is also very relaxing, most Americans don't get enough of it and in this form combined with an amino acid, it doesn't caue the diarrhea that magnesium citrate can. Of course, if you are often constipated, magnesium citrate can be a true blessing!

Enzymatic Therapy makes a nice herbal blend for sleep that I have taken before and seen good effects with as well. I worry about all the drugs you all are mentioning. These tend to mask the fact that you are not sleeping well by knocking you out. Many of the ones you all have listed are absolutely awful for sleep architecture and can do more harm than good in the long run. You may think you are sleeping better because you aren't waking up, but it might as well be a chemically induced coma because you aren't getting all the stages of sleep, especially deep sleep. Not judging, by the way, because as I said, I have taken drugs too. There is no good anwer for us yet because sleep medicine is still so young. But I would run any of these kinds of drugs by your sleep doctor before taking them. Take the time to make sure your bedroom is 100% dark. Stay away from computers right before bed and practice other good sleep hygiene practices.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service