Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

I just started back on my Mirage Quattro FFM Sunday night after taking a 15 day break to allow my badly swollen and broken down nose to heal.  I have thoroughly padded the mask and my nose and after just two days it's starting to look red again.  It was really hard to take all those days off as I am so committed to using my CPAP 100% of the time.  I need a full face mask and my DME has been great about letting me try new masks.  The last was a Respironics ComfortGel full which I found rather flimsy and leaked like crazy and also damaged my nose.I had a lot of hope as it felt so soft.  I have very thin skin, and not good skin (prone to acne) so it breaks down easily.  I keep going back to my Quattro as I have the best leak control.  I have cushioned the hard plastic in the nose piece with a piece of a comfort gel pad and cushioned my nose with duoderm.  I think my "last chance for happiness" LOL,is the total fit mask that completely misses the bridge of the nose.  It has a lot of area to make a good seal though since it starts above the eyes and goes all around the face.  I'm waiting for it come come in to the DME. I had disturbing dreams last night, then woke up with a red swollen nose and the combination has given me the blues.

Make no mistake, I am counting my blessings, I have insurance, a DME that works with me, a great Sleep Doc,  and this forum.  I know my problems are small compared to many folks here.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Mary Z.

PS: My DME just called (Roberts Home Medical in  Virginia- great folks) and he's going to come by tonight and try a nasal pillow system with a chin strap.  I have such hopes about the total fit mask, but he's not very confident it will work.

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Vent away. Isnt that what this forum is for? :)
I was going to say did you try a hybrid mask or a liberty ffm. I know you and I had this conversation before but I dont remember what the outcome was. Hang in there.
I tried the Liberty, but my Sleep Doc nixed that. He said the nose pillows weren't good at an IPAP of 22 and EPAPof 18. I'm just running out of options. The duoderm seems to help. I leave it on during the day to keep my figers off my nose and to aid healing. Thanks for the suggestions, Linda.

Mary Z.

Linda Birnbaum said:
I was going to say did you try a hybrid mask or a liberty ffm. I know you and I had this conversation before but I dont remember what the outcome was. Hang in there.
yep. those pressures are way to high for the liberty. And will probably be too high for nasal pillows and a chin strap. Im sorry to hear that you are having so many problems. Too bad you dont live in Jersey.

Mary Z said:
I tried the Liberty, but my Sleep Doc nixed that. He said the nose pillows weren't good at an IPAP of 22 and EPAPof 18. I'm just running out of options. The duoderm seems to help. I leave it on during the day to keep my figers off my nose and to aid healing. Thanks for the suggestions, Linda.

Mary Z.

Linda Birnbaum said:
I wear a Quattro and a chin-strap. I've also tried the full-life and at high pressur, (mine is 19 over 15) I am afraid you're either going to find it leaks on the top, leaks on the side if you roll and sleep on the side, and trades pressure on the bridge of the nose for disbursed pressure which still may get uncomfortable. There is, in essence, no support at the top of the mask. It is also quite a bit noisier than the Quattro . I still keep trying it, but haven't gone beyond the three hour mark, at which point I swap it with the Quattro.

Tips for Quattro fit: most of the tightening should come from the bottom straps, not the top; back the dial off to zero and adjust it only to the point where the leaks around the bridge of your nose first stop; both pairs of straps, but especially the top pair should be virtually symmetrical in terms of left and right strap lengths. Be careful that neither the chin strap, if you're using one, nor any of the cushioning you're using, as you describe above, protrudes under the cushion and contributes to leaks.

Please feel free to send me a private message if you'd care to do so, both so that I can elaborate on any of this that might be unclear, and to allow us to exchange notes as either of us tries or grows adjusted to alternative full face or whole face masks that may appear.

At my pressure (and I would expect more so at yours) the cushions degrade quickly enough so that it makes sense to swap them out as often as your insurance allows; mine is once a month.
Good luck Mary. I hope everything works out.
Thanks Rock, and everyone else who has supported me and given me ideas on this mask problem. I feel more hopefull now.

Mary Z.
I must have missed it, but how did your nose get broken?

Mary Z said:
Thanks Rock, and everyone else who has supported me and given me ideas on this mask problem. I feel more hopefull now.

Mary Z.
Mary Z,

I'm so sorry you're having such problems finding the right mask for you. You said you've tried several, but the best one so far is the Quattro full mask, which still causes problems with the bridge of your nose, right? And you were considering trying out a all face mask. Can you tell me which one. I too am looking for the right mask for me. I have the Comfort Full II full mask which I find very uncomfortable and bulky, though it's also too big for my face. It usually leaks when I turn on the side and tends to leave dents or marks on my face, mostly on and around the bridge of the nose. My mouth opens when I sleep and I usually sleep on my side. I wonder if the all face mask would be a better option for me.

Hope you find the right mask soon and you have no more problems with your nose or skin.

Take care,
Sonia
Sorry to mislead you Rock, no broken nose just skin breaking down, pressure sores, sort of like a bedsore on a really small scale,

Mary Z.

Rock Hinkle said:
I must have missed it, but how did your nose get broken?

Mary Z said:

Mary Z.
Sonia, the mask I am waiting to get is called a FitLifeTotal Face Mask. It's from Respironics, comes in small and large. It's different from a full face mask in that it covers from over your eyes around your face and to your chin. I haven't seen any reviews on this one. There is also another one called the Total Face mask from Respironics which covers more of the face- it seems to go around the hairline from the pictures. It's a one size fits all which kind of worries me- how can one size fit everyone, but who knows? This one got one negative review from the site where I bought it- the problem was noise.
If you're interested - look at the masks on the Respironics site, or do a google search for "total CPAP face mask". If you come up empty write me a message or leave a comment on my page and I'll tell you the site I used. I found the FitLife at several sites and both are reasonably priced- be sure to get their discount code and get the lowest price. Mike, if you see this I'd have bought it from you, but unfortunately your site doesn't have them.
Neither of these masks looks very good for a side sleeper, which I am, but I think I can adjust to anything.
I have used the Quattro ffm the past three nights, with a well padded nose and part of a sleep comfort pad taped inside the mask over the hard plastic. My leaks are a bit high, but getting better each night. I figure a few leaks are better than no CPAP and my nose is now holding it's own.
Good Luck, Sonia. When I get the mask I'll post a reviews.

Mary Z.

Sonia S. said:
Mary Z,

I'm so sorry you're having such problems finding the right mask for you. You said you've tried several, but the best one so far is the Quattro full mask, which still causes problems with the bridge of your nose, right? And you were
I believe that Judy and Christine have both used the fitlife total face mask. I think
Rock Hinkle said:
I believe that Judy and Christine have both used the fitlife total face mask. I think

I have as well. That's the mask I was rambling on about yesterday. Zero leaks when I can tolerate it but I haven't gone beyond three hours of uninterrupted sleep yet (dealing with chronic knee pain as well). I am going to try the chin-up strips and see if those help with either this or my Quattros...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service