Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

Is it normal for apnea sufferers to "forget to breathe" while awake?

Hi,

I was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea around May 2008 after undergoing a sleep study at a sleep clinic. I suspect I may have had the condition for many years prior to it's diagnoses. I have the Respironics REMstar Auto M Series with A-Flex and the Comfort Full II mask. I got used to the air pressure pretty quickly, but never got used to the incredibly uncomfortable mask, so I've only used the CPAP machine a handful of times and stopped using it after a couple of months of infrequent used. Lately I've been feeling like I need to use it, been having trouble sleeping and been feeling as tired as I used to prior to being diagnosed. and I fainted, for the first time in my life, 3 days ago. So I guess I better start using the uncomfortable thing again. Don't want to cause anymore damage to my heart.

Lately I've also been feeling as if I sometimes forget to breathe during the day while I'm awake. Thought I don't feel short of breath or gasping for air (I've gotten used to breathing poorly after so many years of living with apnea), I do feel that I might not be getting enough oxygen. So I would like to know, is it normal for apnea sufferers to "forget to breathe" while awake? And is this something that can be remedy?

Thanks

Sonia

Views: 18674

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, ok, so the ResMed Activa might be the right mask for me then. I'll check out more info on it online.

Yes, I would appreciate it if you made some inquiries and let me know what you find.

Thank you so much, Mike.

Sonia
Dr. Park private messaged me this: I'm not aware of any free events, but Dr. Andrew Weil has a great 2 CD program on breathing.

Next month, I'm co-leading a breathing/yoga workshop at the JCC in Manhattan. The yoga instructor, Deborah Quilter, also teaches a weekly yoga session that's VERY relaxing every Tuesday in the late afternoon.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Sonia S. said:
Oh, ok, so the ResMed Activa might be the right mask for me then. I'll check out more info on it online.

Yes, I would appreciate it if you made some inquiries and let me know what you find.

Thank you so much, Mike.

Sonia
Thanks Mike, I'll check it out.

Sonia
RL, I couldn't find the featured article on masks on Dr. Steven Park's website, just an announcement for a telecast. Is there a good article on masks online I can read?

RL said:
Also, check out Dr. Steven Park's website: doctorstevenpark.com He has a featured article right now on masks, and many other interesting articles.

If you would like to share more about your difficulties with your mask, other members here may have suggestions that could help. There are many new types of masks that may be better for you as well.
I have noticed that I tend to stop breathing, especially if I kind of 'zone out' while doing a task. For me that's usually reading or working on the computer as I have a desk job. It's like I have apnea while awake. I think I've always done it, but just notice more now that I know about apnea.

Now I've had a different thing where I just feel like there isn't enough oxygen in the air, and no matter how fast or deep I breathe I'm just not getting enough O2. I actually went to the pulmonologist one time about it. My O2 sats were fine though. I think this is related to my asthma though. I usually feel better if I can calm down and if at home I'll put on my mask and do something relaxing and mindless, like play solitare on the laptop, for a while.
The info on Dr. Park's site is actually for an upcoming program on Feb 23, 2010, you can check out at this link:
http://doctorstevenpark.com/expert-interview-everything-you-ever-wa...

Sonia S. said:
Hi RL,

Thank you for your reply and helpful info. I will let the sleep clinic doctor know about the trouble I've been having with the mask, about the pauses in breathing while awake and that I haven't been sleeping well for a long while. I will definitely check out Dr. Steven Park's website to read the article on the types of masks available. I might also ask other members for their suggestions on the most comfortable mask.

Be well,
Sonia
Hi j n k,

Thanks for the reply and all the great info. I realized after watching the instruction CD 2 nights ago that I was wearing the mask too tightly, but since it's probably too large for my face, not wearing it tightly enough causes it to leak with any movement I make. So, will have to use this mask as best I can until I can get a new one.

I wish I could sleep with my mouth and lips closed, but my mouth opens while I sleep. I would have liked to try the nasal pillows, but I read somewhere online that they can disfigure or enlarge the nostrils. Not sure if that true. Would like to try the mask with the dental appliance too, but don't know if my mouth would still open with it.

I don't get panic attacks. When I tend to forget to breathe, I come to realize that I stopped breathing when I start to get a little bit of a headache or like I should get a little more air. I would like to learn to breathe properly.

My iron levels should be higher, as well as my calcium levels. I had weight loss surgery, Bioliopancreatic Division with Duodenal Switch, on August 11, 2008 and should have been taking my prescribed nutritional supplements, but have been bad about taking them just as I've been bad about using the CPAP machine. But I intend to rectify that too and take better care of myself. After losing 133 lbs. I don't want to damage my heart or get sick because I don't use my CPAP machine or don't take my nutritional supplements.

If a Recording Pulse Oximeter is the little plastic thing that the nurse put on my finger for less than a minute when I went the clinic after my fainting incident, then the readings showed that my oxygen level was normal. When I asked my doctor to check my blood oxygen, she said they don't do that test at that clinic, that I would have to get it done at a hospital.

I don't know if I could find a good DME company that accepts Medicare. The supplier of my machine and mask didn't tell me I could try the mask and exchange in 30 days. Will ask next time.

Thanks for your help.

Sonia
Hi amott,

That's what happens to me too, I kind of 'zone out' while I'm doing a task such as reading or working on the computer. I have to remind myself to take a breath once in a while. To me it doesn't feel like apnea because I don't feel my airway closed (which usually happens when you're lying down and you're muscles relaxed), or I don't find myself gasping for breath. It's more like there's a disconnect in the brain so that my body simply forgets to breathe. It's probably just due to bad habit and not knowing how to breathe properly. The few times I've felt like there wasn't enough air I think was caused by a congested nose and or throat. I've always, for as long as I remember, have had trouble breathing well, but have never had Asthma and don't think I have real allergies that would cause my symptoms. My nasal passage and nostrils have always felt swollen or stuffed up or not big enough to allow enough air. I spend a great deal of time trying to clear my nose, but there's usually nothing there to clear. I hope that learning better breathing and getting a new, more comfortable mask will help me breathe better.

You Asthma would definitely make you feel like there isn't enough oxygen in the air you're breathing, so you should do all you can to keep the Asthma under control. Stress can be a major cause of Asthma attacks, so should also manage your stress. I hope you can breathe better and be well.

Take good care,

Sonia

amott1973 said:
I have noticed that I tend to stop breathing, especially if I kind of 'zone out' while doing a task. For me that's usually reading or working on the computer as I have a desk job. It's like I have apnea while awake. I think I've always done it, but just notice more now that I know about apnea.

Now I've had a different thing where I just feel like there isn't enough oxygen in the air, and no matter how fast or deep I breathe I'm just not getting enough O2. I actually went to the pulmonologist one time about it. My O2 sats were fine though. I think this is related to my asthma though. I usually feel better if I can calm down and if at home I'll put on my mask and do something relaxing and mindless, like play solitare on the laptop, for a while.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service