Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
I'm going on 3 years of using CPAP.  But I would say I've only been getting great results for about half that time.   What about everyone else?

Views: 681

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i have been using system for over 10 years with oxygen support
I've been using CPAP for just over 2 years. It took me 6 months to arrive at the Mirage Swift II nose pillow and a chin strap to keep my mouth closed. I regularly feel so much better, have more energy and do not fall asleep at the wheel (big problem) any more. I will not miss using it.

Quick question! My wife's ex supposedly got a lung infection once from not washing his equipment. Daily, I've been immersing my mask parts and reservoir in hot water and mild liquid soap and then removing and letting the parts air dry. Is this overkill, not adequate? What if I dip the parts in alcohol would that be better? What do you all do?

Regards,
Bob
15 great years
Thanks Judy for your information......it answered what I was unable to discern from the descriptions of various oximeters on the medical equipment websites. They were rather vague......hence the reason why I didn't really know much about the features. I now realize that some do not record, and I am only interested in one that records and has software that shows the results on my computer. I have access to my overnight figures/readings of Leak Rate, AHI, AI, and HI, since I have a data capable CPAP. A couple of guys on a different sleep apnea forum put me wise regarding the most economical data capable CPAP (shows the readings right on the top of the machine on a LCD display) and it ended up costing exactly the same as the one that was not data capable (being "pushed" by the DME to clear her shelves).......I just needed to be put wise about what to ask for. I knew that I would be most compliant if I could actually SEE the figures (but first educate myself re: what they mean). So I know that I also want to have an oximeter that actually SHOWS me the figures about what's going on. I hate wondering and guessing. I think these forums are a life-saver whereby we can be guided by others with more experience.......God knows my DME is most UN-helpful, and the sleep doc may know about PSG, or whether patients need CPAP, BiPAP etc., but did NOT know whether they were data capable or not. That's where other more experienced xPAP users are invaluable in sharing their knowledge.
Thanks for sharing yours.
Heather
Hi to Mark Douglas,
I really appreciate the info. I will try Walmart here.....since their prices are always better than the DME's (talk about "gouging"......at least that's what they do up here in Canada......highway robbery, and we can't get our CPAP prescription to purchase online, only by fax to a DME). But we can certainly purchase other stuff wherever we want. And I will be checking first at Walmart here.......like you said, there's no hassles in their return policy, if the customer is not satisfied. I might not have thought of Walmart, if you hadn't mentioned it (even though I use their pharmacy for meds !)
And thanks for warning me about the small type and poor instructions. It's good to know they have a support number where you were actually able to get help with instructions. I am somewhat technologically challenged (although I persevere until I get past that), but I would have wondered if a support number in China would help.........language barrier and all.......I get Bell internet support from India (sometimes okay, other times frustrating enough to make you eat your young (LOL)
I noticed your other post where you mentioned waiting list for sleep centre and it costing thousands of dollars for a sleep study. I do count my blessings that our universal health care here picks up all costs related to this (in fact we aren't even aware of the cost), just as they do for all hospital services (in-patient, out-patient, pulmonary tests, my spouse's cancer treatments, CT scans, whatever. Thanks to Kiefer Sutherland's grandfather (on mother's side)......Tommy Douglas (church minister turned politician) small in stature but a fiesty orator who fought the medical community/doctors of the time (the 1950's) to establish our gov't health care. When it comes to the CPAP machines, a specific gov't plan pays 75% and the patient pays 25% And we do have to pay all drugs (if no drug benefits through employer.....which is disappearing) until age 65 after which gov't covers MOST drugs, but this coverage seems to be eroding (which is worrisome to seniors).

Anyway, thanks for the info about the oximeters......very helpful.
Heather
No Idea 2004 or 2005 but wasnt really dedicated until 2007
Mild soap and water is recommended for cleaning mask parts. You can use vinegar and water in your reservoir, let it soak and just air dry, or after the vinegar and water (which only helps to clean out any mineral deposits left behind- like cleaning your coffee maker) mild soap and water. Alcohol may start to crack mask parts I believe. In any case it's not recommended. I use the wipes you can by on my FitLife mask as it's all one piece and they seem to work well.

Bob Schwartz said:

Quick question! My wife's ex supposedly got a lung infection once from not washing his equipment. Daily, I've been immersing my mask parts and reservoir in hot water and mild liquid soap and then removing and letting the parts air dry. Is this overkill, not adequate? What if I dip the parts in alcohol would that be better? What do you all do?

Regards,
Bob
Baby shampoo for the mask, cushion and headgear when I wash them. PoliDent Denture Cleansing Tablet and very warm water in the humidifier tank to clean it followed by a vinegar and water rinse when I clean the tank.
I've been using it for almost 13 years. I've only not used it probably about 2 weeks in that time period. It saved my marriage, my relationship to my kids, my job and more importantly my life.

I wish I didn't have to use it but I'm grateful for how the CPAP has changed my life.
I have been using CPAP therapy for 3 1/2 months, but part of that time (1 month following diagnosis sleep study) was a "phase-in period" at only a guess estimate (by sleep doc) of pressure at 7. After titration, the pressure was set at 11 where it has stayed ever since. I had some difficulty with the mask for the first month (because a full face mask such as Resmed Quattro when it is only at a pressure of 7 H20 cm. is claustrophobic and you throw it off during the night), but when set at 11 after titration it no longer leaves you seeking more air. Using the Quattro I have very low leak rate, usually giving a reading of 0.00L/s and the occasional reading of 0.02L/s or 0.04L/s on a less than perfect night. I am now used to putting on my "Darth Vader" mask (as I call it) and feel more energetic during the day. So, I am basically pretty happy with the therapy so far.
I having been using C-Pap for about3 years also, I like it and it does help me to sleep better.
I have been using my APAP for 15 months. I didn't lose 60 pounds or turn into a 20 year-old 6 foot tall blonde, but hey... I am healthy using my APAP. :>D

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service