Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

Lynn noted in her reply to my last question on two pieces of advice to share with a newbie that after over seven years, she recently found out how to deal with her humidifier.

Actually, I don't know much about it.

My humidifier is heated. I had a bad cold and someone in some forum said that raising the humidity level makes a difference. I did -- and it did make a difference.

Can anyone tell me more about the humidifier? I thought it existed strictly to protect one against dry nasal passages. Obviously, there is more involved.

Thanks!

Views: 2623

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OK, that's a relatively modern unit. It has all electronic controls and power supply. According to the manual at http://www.respironics.com/UserGuides/UserGuideMSeriesHtdHumidifier... (is this the unit that you have?), there is a blue light on the humidifier. If the light never comes on, the internal power supply or the power cord are the likely culprits. If the light comes on and stays on, I would suspect that the heating unit itself is at fault. Blinking indicates either 'a safe state condition or an AC loss error (heater plate not heating)'.

I would not recommend that you open the unit yourself, and since it is a medical device with a shock hazard potential (to you when you use it), you really do want a qualified tech to do any work on it.

I was issued a Fisher-PaykelHC150 external humidifier with my first Respironics CPAP, it has lasted through two Respironics units (it remains my backup). I'm now using a Resmed with its own integrated humidifier, which has much better reliability ratings. My mother's ancient Fisher-Paykel CPAP w/humidifier is still working after 15 years of service. If you can't fix your humidifier, you might look out for an F-P standalone unit that someone no longer needs - they're sturdy little units.

Try turning the machine on to let the heating unit warm up. This would tell you if it's working.

Bruce,

Most likely you are experiencing an oral leak in stage REM.

hi ..thanks.. i clicked on that link..and mine looks very much like that one but mine does not have a blue LED light on the knob where you set the heat.It is just plain black solid knob. AND HI.. Rock..thanks.. i did try that.. and " nuttin honey" ..everything is just cold.

Richard said:

OK, that's a relatively modern unit. It has all electronic controls and power supply. According to the manual at http://www.respironics.com/UserGuides/UserGuideMSeriesHtdHumidifier... (is this the unit that you have?), there is a blue light on the humidifier. If the light never comes on, the internal power supply or the power cord are the likely culprits. If the light comes on and stays on, I would suspect that the heating unit itself is at fault. Blinking indicates either 'a safe state condition or an AC loss error (heater plate not heating)'.

I would not recommend that you open the unit yourself, and since it is a medical device with a shock hazard potential (to you when you use it), you really do want a qualified tech to do any work on it.

I was issued a Fisher-PaykelHC150 external humidifier with my first Respironics CPAP, it has lasted through two Respironics units (it remains my backup). I'm now using a Resmed with its own integrated humidifier, which has much better reliability ratings. My mother's ancient Fisher-Paykel CPAP w/humidifier is still working after 15 years of service. If you can't fix your humidifier, you might look out for an F-P standalone unit that someone no longer needs - they're sturdy little units.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service