Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

Lynn noted in her reply to my last question on two pieces of advice to share with a newbie that after over seven years, she recently found out how to deal with her humidifier.

Actually, I don't know much about it.

My humidifier is heated. I had a bad cold and someone in some forum said that raising the humidity level makes a difference. I did -- and it did make a difference.

Can anyone tell me more about the humidifier? I thought it existed strictly to protect one against dry nasal passages. Obviously, there is more involved.

Thanks!

Views: 2623

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Baby Shampoo just a drop and swish and then run through with distilled water. Then hang dry.

Mary Z said:

Hydrogen Peroxide is not recommended to clean your hose.  A mild soap and water should be sufficient.  As I understand it, a humidifier is a comfort feature.  You want the air entering your nose/mouth to feel comfortable and not dry your membranes.  Find the amount of humidity that is comfortable for you.  If you have rainout turn it down.  Use distilled water.  Clean with maild soap and water, or vinegar and water.  IMHO.

Sorta some of the same issues but mainly just want to know if the humidifier is doing what it should be doing also.

Bruce Bon said:

I have a new ResMed S9 with H5i heated humidifier, but without the ClimateLine heated air tube.  So my humidity control is just a number between 0 and 6, in increments of 0.5, not a temperature or relative humidity.  Does anyone know how this number corresponds to relative humidity?

I'm sure humidity is less controlled without the heated tube.  I am finding that whenever I wake up with the CPAP, my throat and soft palette are quite dry, even when I cranked the humidity control up to 5.0, and I have never found any condensation in the tube.  Although I am in a very dry climate (NM, winter), I am still wondering if the humidifier is doing what it should.

Definition of humidifier from glossary: Humidifier Humification is provided by passing air across a tray of water to prevent nasal dryness. There are two types of humidifiers: heated or non-heated. A humidifier can increase the comfort and tolerance while using a positive pressure device. Some insurance companies do not cover humidification.

I think since this was written we've discovered that the humdifier can do so much more than increase comfort and tolerance.  Increasing humidification has been known to help with mouth breathing and helping break up a cold.

In case anyone else might find it useful, I just measured the capacity of my ResMed H5i reservoir to the 3 marks provided.  Results:

- low mark 10 oz
   - mid mark 12 oz
   - MAX mark 14 oz

My immediate use for this was to decide that 16 oz of diluted vinegar was enough to soak the tank -- much more and it would be overflowing.

It was surprising to me that the difference between marks was only 2 oz.  That also means that the most water that the humidifier has ever added to the air it is pumping to me was no more than perhaps 1/2 oz per hour, which seemed pretty low until I did some calculations.  Through some rather tedious calculations, I figure that 1/2 oz of water per hour would be enough, at 5,000 ft and 61 deg F, to humidify about 1,370 liters to 80% relative humidity.  This is also assuming that the initial relative humidity is 0%, which is obviously not true, but here in NM and indoors in winter, it is probably around 25% or less.

I don't know, at least until I get the software to read the data card, how much my actual air flow is.

The machine should be below your head as it will prevent rain-out. One might try a nightstand that is lower than the bed.

Nice post Bruce!

Thanks for the advice, Rock.

And, yes Bruce, yours is a really nice post. Thank you!

Maybe I wasn't clear, but I am never ever getting any condensation in the tube.  If anything, I am concerned that I am not getting enough humidity, because my throat is always very dry when I wake up, including in the middle of the night.  I may be opening my mouth during deep sleep, in spite of the chin strap.  If it doesn't get better, I'll have to try a full-face mask (I have been using nasal pillows).  I'm still a newbie, and haven't gotten everything worked out to my satisfaction yet.

RockRpsgt said:

The machine should be below your head as it will prevent rain-out. One might try a nightstand that is lower than the bed.

Nice post Bruce!

I know I have been among the missing for a long LONG time... but I have still been here on the sidelines. My question is what can you do IF your humidifier no longer heats up. I have determined mine must be defunct now. I turned it up all the way to 5 or 6..and in the beginning this would warm up the air I was breathing..now it is always cool air no matter what. Remember I am the one w/ no insurance..no access to tech's or dms....and winging it on my own reusing and recycling everything single supply I have gotten in years now. 

What kind of unit do you have?

Some humidifiers may have an older, mechanical thermostat, with contacts that corrode - operating the knob back-and-forth (relatively quickly, but not all the way to the end of travel) might help, but disassembly and mechanical cleaning might be required. For newer units, the electronic controls are not as serviceable - or require more special skills to repair. Does you unit have any lights on it? Do they light up?

Check for a fuse, but they're often internal (wired in) rather than accessible via an external cap.

Almost nothing is made to be serviceable these days. I opened up my first CPAP when it became intermittent and then stopped, but it wasn't really practical or possible to fix it (and among my skills I am a trained electronic technologist - I build my own electronics equipement!).

If you can post some further details I'll try to come up with some more possiblities.

I don't know that's there is a whole lot more to know. I'm a very sinusy person and most nights, I will get stuffy. Why at night, I don't know. No one explained to me that the humidifer would help clear congestion but for some reason it does. I have mine set all the way up and it is so nice to be able to breathe through my nose all night. I use it faithfully now, check to make sure sufficient water is in the chamber, etc.

Someone should write a manual of usable, how do I take control of my treatment, what does everything mean, etc for every new cpap user. So much frustration could be avoided. I slept with a nasal mask for 3 weeks when I first started and I was determined to use my cpap because I saw what sleep apnea did to my brother. I'm even more claustophobic then I thought, apparently. After 3 weeks, I had a temper tantrum and threw the mask into the wall hard enough to leave a dent. Turned the machine off and rolled over and went to sleep. It's pretty bad when a person says they slept better without the cpap. Went to the respiratory therapist at DME and found out I had options. No one explained there were other kinds of masks.

I've coached several people through the self-driven process - one is my wife, who has just started using a CPAP herself, and has seen the process 'second hand' over the years while watching me. It's different when you actually have to do it yourself, and not everyone's situation is the same.

It's not just a CPAP/sleep apnea issue - it's part of all of our health care issues. I take a very active part in all of my health care - most people really don't know how to do that. I seek out doctors who are willing to work with me to find what works for *my* body, rather than just dictate to me. I'm fortunate that I have a medical plan that gives me the flexibility and resources - many people do not.

If you think sleep apnea is an 'informational black hole', try working through the medical system with an autoimmune disorder...

In fact, you're doing exactly the right thing now - seeking out more information, asking people who have 'been there', and learning everything you can.

Do this for every medical issue, if you want medical care that is appropriate for *you*. I'm sorry that you went through the start up without help. I stumbled around for a while myself - we all do.

I've convinced two friends to get back on their CPAP machines, by giving them pointers to information. Both have been successful at it!

Knowledge is power!

mine is a Remstar M series..antique dinosaur.. I think.. No data card or place to have one..just humidifier reservoir for water..and turn knob to set it. I am guessing not too many people have one like this anymore.

Richard said:

What kind of unit do you have?

Some humidifiers may have an older, mechanical thermostat, with contacts that corrode - operating the knob back-and-forth (relatively quickly, but not all the way to the end of travel) might help, but disassembly and mechanical cleaning might be required. For newer units, the electronic controls are not as serviceable - or require more special skills to repair. Does you unit have any lights on it? Do they light up?

Check for a fuse, but they're often internal (wired in) rather than accessible via an external cap.

Almost nothing is made to be serviceable these days. I opened up my first CPAP when it became intermittent and then stopped, but it wasn't really practical or possible to fix it (and among my skills I am a trained electronic technologist - I build my own electronics equipement!).

If you can post some further details I'll try to come up with some more possiblities.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service