Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
My favorite CPAP mask is the Mirage Activa nasal mask - i love how it doesn't feel tight on my face... but more like a cushion of air resting on it.

Views: 626

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been researching and trying to decide which mask to try next....I think the Mirage Activa LT is the one. Looking forward to trying it!
I wore a nasal mask for 14 years. Then I went for another study and half way through, they came and put a full face mask on me. Wow what a difference. There is little sensation of pressure and I don't have to deal with a chin strap anymore. Much more comfortable. The only difference now is, that I need the humidifier during the cold dry months where I didn't seem to need it with the nasil mask only. A small price to pay for the comfort level I have now. I use the ResMed Mirage Quattro full face mask.
Breeze with nasal pillows. It's as close to not wearing an interface as I have found.

Rock C.
I have tried only two masks. Started out with a Resmed Mirage Liberty (yes Judy, you are right in that it is a hybrid nasal pillow/oro mask. It worked well other than I have problems with waking up with leaks. I am a side sleeper and bumping the mouth part of mask would unseat nasal pillows. Switched to Activa LT on suggestion of RT. It definitely is a good mask for solving leak problems. The seal design works very well. Hardly have to tighten the straps at all. It really can fit loosely on face as others in post have discribed. But for some reason I do not sleep quite as well with it as I did with the Liberty when I could keep Liberty from leaking. My AHI index is higher with the Activa LT. ???? The Activa mask does have quite a bit of movement, soft part of mask moves in and out with respirations, like billows, and takes a little getting used to, but it is not prone to leaks, I can atest to that. They had me on pressures of 8 cm expiration and 25 cm inspiration when I first started and Activa handeled that without leaks. After we have figured out that the sleep Dr did not write my perscription correctly, my pressures are much more normal , 9 expir and 14 inspir. Since I have learned I can nasal breath ok, I would like to try the Swift LT nasal mask. It looks like with its narrow frame width, it would work well for a side sleeper with less bumping it against your pillow.
there are pillows you can purchase with "cut outs" on each end designed for use by side sleepers. the mask nestles into the cut outs or hollows and thus less leaks occur hopefully. i have used one successfully for several years. it doesn't really help any when you sleep on your back. it is pricey-about $60. mine is from contourliving.com. there are others, but i do not have experience with them.

Charley K said:
I have tried only two masks. Started out with a Resmed Mirage Liberty (yes Judy, you are right in that it is a hybrid nasal pillow/oro mask. It worked well other than I have problems with waking up with leaks. I am a side sleeper and bumping the mouth part of mask would unseat nasal pillows. Switched to Activa LT on suggestion of RT. It definitely is a good mask for solving leak problems. The seal design works very well. Hardly have to tighten the straps at all. It really can fit loosely on face as others in post have discribed. But for some reason I do not sleep quite as well with it as I did with the Liberty when I could keep Liberty from leaking. My AHI index is higher with the Activa LT. ???? The Activa mask does have quite a bit of movement, soft part of mask moves in and out with respirations, like billows, and takes a little getting used to, but it is not prone to leaks, I can atest to that. They had me on pressures of 8 cm expiration and 25 cm inspiration when I first started and Activa handeled that without leaks. After we have figured out that the sleep Dr did not write my perscription correctly, my pressures are much more normal , 9 expir and 14 inspir. Since I have learned I can nasal breath ok, I would like to try the Swift LT nasal mask. It looks like with its narrow frame width, it would work well for a side sleeper with less bumping it against your pillow.
I hate them all.
THAT WAS HELPFUL !!

Zombob said:
I hate them all.
Hey catfish ~

I see you really got a lot out of that post . . .

BTW I like your photo and I'm glad to note that Leesburg is inland. Still very sorry about what's happening down in the Gulf.

All the best,
Renee

catfish44 said:
THAT WAS HELPFUL !!

Zombob said:
I hate them all.
I couldn't wear a chin strap as it pulled my jaw backwards and caused pain. This is my bizarre solution and it may not appeal to many. I use a light scarf, oblong shape. I put it over my head with the scarf reaching the front of my forehead. I cross the scarf lengths under my chin and tie on top of my head. The crossover under the chin needs to be nearer the chin. The beauty of it apart from keeping my mouth shut is that it keeps the straps of my nasal mask in place without slipping on my hair. Looks ridiculous but it works. Another method I used for a while - and it did work - was to wear a cervical collar about 3 &1/2 inches depth. However, it does mean sleeping on your back. Good luck. Ruth

Bob Schwartz said:
My favorite mask is the ResMed Mirage Swift II Nasal Pillows Mask. The mask is comfortable and seals very well. I've tried various full face units without success due to the face farts I do, however, need a chin strap to keep my mouth closed. I also use a mouth guard from Walmart to avoid bruxism, teeth grinding (tooth grinding in Kentucky - sorry Kentucyians) .. Has anyone found an alternative to a chin strap, or an integral chin strap to the nasal pillow or anything else to hold one's mouth closed?
Regards,
Hello Ruth ~

Thanks for the great suggestion and full description about the scarf. I've been trying to figure out something like that to help eliminate leaks with a full face mask. I'm going to try your idea.

Best and lots of good rest,
Renee

Ruth Carolyn Rowlands said:
I couldn't wear a chin strap as it pulled my jaw backwards and caused pain. This is my bizarre solution and it may not appeal to many. I use a light scarf, oblong shape. I put it over my head with the scarf reaching the front of my forehead. I cross the scarf lengths under my chin and tie on top of my head. The crossover under the chin needs to be nearer the chin. The beauty of it apart from keeping my mouth shut is that it keeps the straps of my nasal mask in place without slipping on my hair. Looks ridiculous but it works. Another method I used for a while - and it did work - was to wear a cervical collar about 3 &1/2 inches depth. However, it does mean sleeping on your back. Good luck. Ruth

Bob Schwartz said:
My favorite mask is the ResMed Mirage Swift II Nasal Pillows Mask. The mask is comfortable and seals very well. I've tried various full face units without success due to the face farts I do, however, need a chin strap to keep my mouth closed. I also use a mouth guard from Walmart to avoid bruxism, teeth grinding (tooth grinding in Kentucky - sorry Kentucyians) .. Has anyone found an alternative to a chin strap, or an integral chin strap to the nasal pillow or anything else to hold one's mouth closed?
Regards,
I know what you mean about the strange noises from full face masks if too loose......gives new meaning to the term "fartface" eh?
I saw an ad on YouTube for the PapCap and it looked good, but then read elsewhere that there is the PapCap 2 which is supposed to be better because you can actually attach your mask directly to the PapCap 2 and eliminate your mask straps/headgear. Some people find chin straps itchy and hot, but the PapCap is made entirely out of cotton and supposedly it absorbs moisture and wicks it away. I haven't tried it yet as I just had the expense of the whole CPAP setup......need to wait.

Bob Schwartz said:
Regards,
I love my Swift LT. I like it because it is adjustable and lightweight.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service