Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
At our local AWAKE meeting last night, the Respironics rep there said dryness was the number 1 complaint among CPAP users.   I didn't expect that -- thought it would be mask leak or mask fitting or mouth breathing.  

My own #1 complaint is mouth breathing.  What is everyone's else's?

Views: 1072

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm always fighting with the seal...I am waking up during the night and/or fighting to get to sleep cause air is blowing into my eyes....I have done everything imagineable and still fight it....I have adjusted until I'm blue in the face, tried different masks and they work for awhile, then the seal sucks.....I simply just throw it on the floor. I have absolutelly no dryness/mouth breathing - my humidifier must be adjusted perfectly...
Definitely issues with the mask. I love the new FP Forma mask that goes under the chin - great for mouth breathers! However, I have to have my mask so tight to stop leaks that I'm now getting small sores on my cheeks beside my nose. They look almost like pimples. I've tried putting some soft fleece between my mask and those spots. It helps with the irritation, but then I have leak problems. I can't seem to win. Would love to hear more about this cloth mask that Liz mentioned - sounds intriguing!
My one complaint is the occasional rain out. I hear a whistle and can't sleep, but I have found that I can slip my face just under the covers and soon enough it goes away. Just bugs me. LOL
MY BIGGEST PROBLEM IS A DRY MOUTH. I HAVE THE HUMIDIFIER SET TO THE MAXIMUM. I HAVE A FULL FACE MASK.
Mike,
Like you, leaking through the mouth is my biggest problem. I use a nasal mask which is the most comfortable. I have 2 full-face masks, but both leak a lot along the edges. And occasionally the mask irritates the bridge on my nose. So I end up wearing a chin strap with the nasal mask, but the strap has to be really tight. That's the next I can do.
Joe
My #1 complaint is mask leak. I have a humidifier on my CPAP unit.
I'm always wondering if the CPAP is really doing me any good considering the discomfort of the mask, the expense and just the nuisance of it all. I would like to see some studies and not just heresay about the benefits of CPAP.
JanSaysHello said:
I'm always wondering if the CPAP is really doing me any good considering the discomfort of the mask, the expense and just the nuisance of it all. I would like to see some studies and not just heresay about the benefits of CPAP.
My biggest complaint is the need for a chin strap. Without it, I breathe through my mouth. With it, I have these ugly marks on my neck and chin for hours after I wake up. My mask is perfect (it's a nasal-style mask) and the headgear is great.

I find myself delaying going to bed at night because of the fight to get the chin strap tight enough to work and yet loose enough so that I don't feel like I'm being strangled.
My biggest issue was air leakage but since I got that fixed it is strap marks on my face for several hours every morning.
My #1 complaint is my DME they most always disregard my requests for replacement equipment to be mailed to me so I drive 36 miles to pick up supplies. Also my insurance will pay for a new cushion every 30 days but they say that their schedule is every 60 days and they will not follow my insurance schedule.
The straps that hold my Zest mask on leave indentations in my both sides of my face. I believe the marks are created by simply sleeping on my side and my head pressing into my pillow.At a minimum, the marks take at 3-4 hours to go away. I was up at 6:30 a.m. today and it is now 12:47 p.m. and the marks are still visible. If I loosen the straps any more the mask does not stay sealed and makes too much noise. Any suggestions?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service