Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

DNA Appliance to Restructure Jaw/ Change Airway

DNA Appliance sounds like its goal is to restructure the jaw without surgery -- http://www.dnaappliance.com/index.html -- anyone have insight into how this compares to, say, MMA surgery?

Views: 9580

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I spoke to the woman using the DNA appliance last night and she said that she was having a hard time adjusting to have it in her mouth, kind of like the adjustment period almost all PAP'ers go through.  she was going to have it readjusted by the dentist who fitted her with it.  also, she said that her dentist and dental hygienist (unrelated to the dentist who fitted her with the appliance) were pooh-pooh'ing why she needed it in the first place, because in their estimation, her jaw didn't look unusually narrow at all.  her internist also rolled his eyes upon hearing of this treatment option.   which is not to say any of them are right -- just that the medical community seems to be skeptical of this device, rightly or wrongly.

Rooster said:
Mike, Any update?
shocking the claim that the tongue shrinks to fit the size of a mouth !  wonder what he makes of scalloped tongues.  anyway, the DNA appliance is compelling if it works.  interesting the suggestion that other forms of orthodontics do the same thing.  Dr. park is doing one of his expert interviews with the DNA Appliance founder Dr. Singh: http://www.sleepguide.com/forum/topics/expert-interview-epigenetic  Someone should ask him whether other orthodontics do the same thing and see how he responds.
I've been using the DNA appliance now for about two months and haven't experienced any problems with it yet. I have found I can wear my CPAP longer without issue when I have the device in. Oddly enough I have found when the device feels tight it's actually loose and requires tightening.

Reply by Bryan Harris 14 hours ago I've been using the DNA appliance now for about two months and haven't experienced any problems with it yet. I have found I can wear my CPAP longer without issue when I have the device in. ...

Thanks for the report Bryan.

1. In your estimate, why does the DNA appliance allow you to use your CPAP for longer periods?

2. What were your goals for the DNA appliance?

3. So far have you experience any benefits besides being able to use your CPAP longer?

1. Not an expert by any means but my hyposis is that the DNA Appliance is positioning my lower jaw in a way to make the CPAP more comfortable. I was pulling it off after about three to four hours and now wear it though whole evening.

2. My goals are to hopefully reduce my my sleep apnea and straighten my bottom teeth where there is slight crowding.

3. I have noticed it's much easier to floss my top teeth at this point however I haven't noticed any physical diffrence myself.

About my Sleep Apnea, It is catorgorized as severe, I'm 33 5'8 and 170 Lbs so it's not wieght related.

Thanks Bryan. Everything you said makes sense. The flossing thing is an indication that at least your upper jaw is expanding and that is what you want.

Sorry, but I forgot to ask if your appliance has a wire that presses down on the tongue and if so, how is that working for you?

It does, its in the back, it took a little getting use to but within a few minutes I had no issues with it. The only down side which isn't a problem really is that my speach is slurred while wearing it but I'm usually home so it doesnt matter. 

I was on the phone with my brother this morning and he asked me if there are any updates on this device. He has seen a doctor added to the provider list who is 90 minute drive from his home. This is getting close enough that he would consider a consultation.

There have been quite a few doctors across the country added to the list in the last couple of months. Just wondering if anyone here has anything new to add.

Key words: DNA Appliance. Dr. Singh. Epigenetic Orthodontics.

I would like to second the request for follow up from those who have tried the DNA or other appliances for themselves or especially for kids.  My 8 year old nephew just tested positive for significant sleep apnea.

Reply by Kirsten Sword 1 hour ago

I would like to second the request for follow up from those who have tried the DNA or other appliances for themselves or especially for kids.  My 8 year old nephew just tested positive for significant sleep apnea.

Here is what I would do for an 8-year old unless there is some additional information or complications. In order of priority:

1. Have him examined by a competent ENT with heavy experience with sleep apnea. The ENT should examine nasal airway, larnyx, tonsils, and adenoids. The ENT should make a judgment about the likely cause of his sleep apnea. In some children with enlarged tonsils and/or enlarged adenoids, surgical removal of one or both of these organs can cure obstructive sleep apnea.

2. A competent pediatric orthodontist should examine his teeth and jaws. If he has a narrow jaw and/or narrow palate, orthodontic appliances should be considered. The objective would be to bring the jaw and palate to a normal size without extracting any teeth. The orthodontist chosen should have experience with curing sleep apnea in children for life.

Here is an excellent blog on application of a DNA appliance to an adult -

http://epiorthodontics.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T0...

Did your nephew have a sleep study? Does he have obstructive sleep apnea? Does he have any complicating conditions? Does he have crowded or crooked teeth?

How are things with your OSB appliance?

Rather barbaric looking, but then so is a CPAP mask!  May mention to my doctor to see if she is aware of it.

Mike said:

a woman at the NYC AWAKE Sleep Apnea Support Group Meeting Wednesday night had just been fitted with a DNA appliance and was going to try it that night for the very first time. she has a very complicated and serious case of Sleep Apnea.  i asked to take a look, and i snapped this picture:

the dentist who fitted her with it said that she should experience some benefits within as little as a couple of weeks. i'm going to keep in touch with her and report back on her experiences as i learn about them.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service