Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
Bill Pruitt, MBA, RRT, CPFT, AE-C has written an article for RT Magazine proposing 10 practices to improve CPAP therapy compliance.

"What Else Contributes to Noncompliance?
Side effects and problems with the patient-CPAP system can cause the CPAP machine to be stuck in the closet, never to be used. The side effects include nasal drying, increased congestion, sneezing, rhinorrhea, sinusitis, conjunctivitis, claustrophobia, pressure sores on the bridge of the nose, difficulty exhaling, allergic reaction to the materials in the mask, air swallowing with gastric distension, machine noise, and skin creases the next morning. Many of these are avoidable if everyone in the health care team does a proper job of education, application, and follow-up with trouble-shooting and making corrections early in the start-up, as needed."

The full articles is at:

http://www.rtmagazine.com/issues/articles/2009-02_03.asp?frmNewslet...http://www.rtmagazine.com/issues/articles/2009-02_03.asp?frmNewslet...">

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree that patient education is the key to CPAP compliance, However there is a factor here that affects the information that patients retain. As a sleep apnea patient myself, I went to the doctor because I was feeling stupid. My brain was not firing on all the 'cylinders', as it were.
When I had the sleep study and was diagnosed that opened a world of questions for me. But not until I was getting good therapy did my brain's thinking and retaining qualities return. The diagnosis itself is a whirlwind of questions and I knew very little about the condition and the health issues and why I needed treatment, much less the correct questions to ask for the best treatment. I took what they handed me and made it work. I was determined to get my brain back and that is all I knew I was doing it for.
Thankfully now I am much better educated on the subject and I can help newbies who are struggling. I think as a sleep apnea patient we owe it to the new ones to educate them in the way they can understand. I do a lot of hand holding when people call me. Encouragement and patience will help a lot for the new sleep apnea patient. I am happy to help, because I remember oh so well when I was in their place.

Karen
One of the best ways we can help to educate fellow apneans and to teach them to take an active part in their health care is to join a local apnea support group if there is one. For most of us who frequent these forums the information presented is almost too pappy and almost bording - BUT - WE can spur the support group to present MORE pertinent information and spark members' interest and curiosity to learn more which in turn would spur the support group sponsors to present more intensive information.

Our RRTs and RPSGTs could spur their sleep labs to sponsor or co-sponsor a local apnea support group. They could volunteer to speak at local support groups. Resmed has a very good video on what goes on w/the breathing during apnea events. I'll have to look up the URL for it. Surely there are other good videos and slides regarding sleep apnea and xPAP therapy available that could be presented or used to aid in any presentation our RTs and RPSGTs would want to make. Hopefully w/some "meat" in them and not just the usual "pap". For instance, the "mysterious" wave graphs can be quite interesting when you see Resmed's video w/normal breathing during sleep and an hypopnea and an apnea event. The same for the heart rate.

And, YES, Duane McDade, PLEASE, let loose w/your opinion on this issue!!! Even disagreement spurs education and reconsideration of positions. I, for one, really appreciate your opinions on matters brought up in the forum very much.
Judy, i like how you bring up something that is always bothering me -- how 99% of the info "out there" on sleep apnea and CPAP is just regurgitation of the same old generalizations and other mindless drivel. really no "meat" there. that's where we come in here at sleepguide. we love "meat" here.

Judy said:
One of the best ways we can help to educate fellow apneans and to teach them to take an active part in their health care is to join a local apnea support group if there is one. For most of us who frequent these forums the information presented is almost too pappy and almost bording - BUT - WE can spur the support group to present MORE pertinent information and spark members' interest and curiosity to learn more which in turn would spur the support group sponsors to present more intensive information.
Our RRTs and RPSGTs could spur their sleep labs to sponsor or co-sponsor a local apnea support group. They could volunteer to speak at local support groups. Resmed has a very good video on what goes on w/the breathing during apnea events. I'll have to look up the URL for it. Surely there are other good videos and slides regarding sleep apnea and xPAP therapy available that could be presented or used to aid in any presentation our RTs and RPSGTs would want to make. Hopefully w/some "meat" in them and not just the usual "pap". For instance, the "mysterious" wave graphs can be quite interesting when you see Resmed's video w/normal breathing during sleep and an hypopnea and an apnea event. The same for the heart rate.
And, YES, Duane McDade, PLEASE, let loose w/your opinion on this issue!!! Even disagreement spurs education and reconsideration of positions. I, for one, really appreciate your opinions on matters brought up in the forum very much.
Let Her Rip Duane!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service