Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
This is from a correspondence I've been having with Susan McCord, who gave me permission to share it with all you on the forum. Italicized emphasis is my own... Will be interested to hear what you guys think she should do:

"I've been sicker than a dog with this CPAP/sinus stuff since the day after Christmas. Nobody, including my sleep doc will really discuss it with me or else they just dismiss it. This has been going on, off and on, since shortly after I started CPAP in July.

Today I was at my cardiologist for a checkup, and was telling him about all this ongoing. Usually it goes away spontaneously in 2-3 days--this time it's hung on for 10 days so far. Can't stand it.

Anyway, cardiologist, who's also an internist prior, told me it's not uncommon at ALL for pts. on CPAP to have this and that I have an infection. I asked him why the MDs don't tell us about it--he and I have a VERY open relationship and he knows I can't stand having smoke blown up my ass--he told me it's because the sleep docs are so worried about compliance that they don't tell pts. about the possibility of sinus complications AND that it's not uncommon for them to avoid talking about it even if pts. bring it up. They tend to assign the sinus problems to something else.

I was mildly horrified and, frankly, I think he is too. He told me to talk to my PCP and get started on an antibiotic and whatever else PCP recs. He also said people usually stay off CPAP for a week or so till the infection clears. THAT scares me to death. I don't think I'm gonna do it. Internet says to d/c too, but I don't think I can......what do you think I should do???"

Views: 23946

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Could be the pollen. Suggest you try a sinus rinse. I don't think there is anything wrong with doing this. I run mine to dry it out sometimes. The cpap seems to be a virtually indestructable device.

Owen Dell said:
I've had a low-grade sinus infection for several months. A couple of weeks ago I started drying out my gear by hooking it up to the machine after I clean it in the morning and turning it on for an hour or so, with no water in the humidifier chamber and no heat. So far it seems to be helping. I don't know if it's a cure, but I do feel better. In our damp climate, water will sit in the tubing all day long, and my theory is that drying it out eliminates habitat for bacteria. Any thoughts or experiences from anyone else?
In the not too distant past Mayo found out that a lot of these sinus infections were due to fungus, not bacteria. When treating fungus (with Diflucan), if it works, it really works. That was the case with me. I'm guessing a lot of apneac's infectons are caused by fungus in which case antibiotics could make fungus infection worse, not better.
My present chief concern is that my fungus could come back as it has in the past.
As a prophylactic measure in the last 2 weeks I have been sniffing up each nostril about 4 ml Nystatin Oral Suspension, a thick syrup. I use a 3 cc syringe with needle removed for this.The syrup is intended for oral use, so I'm off label and I don't know the long term harm, if any (probably none). I sniff the syrup after sniffing water in the shower many times, and then saline irrigation after the shower. As an added benefit the nystatin knocks out any remaining mucous in my sinuses. I blow it out after 15 minutes or so of sniffing which keeps it in my nose.
Nystatin is unique in that it causes the fungus spore to explode on contact for some unknown reason. It is virtually harmless I've read.
I would almost beg anyone with apnea-sinus issues to discuss using Diflucan for fungus with your doctor even if it is to rule out fungus as the villian. You take Diflucan for 7 days, but you will know in 2 days if it is working. From one who has tried everything this stuff comes as close to effecting a miracle as anything I've ever experienced.

William Mann said:
Could be the pollen. Suggest you try a sinus rinse. I don't think there is anything wrong with doing this. I run mine to dry it out sometimes. The cpap seems to be a virtually indestructable device.

Owen Dell said:
I've had a low-grade sinus infection for several months. A couple of weeks ago I started drying out my gear by hooking it up to the machine after I clean it in the morning and turning it on for an hour or so, with no water in the humidifier chamber and no heat. So far it seems to be helping. I don't know if it's a cure, but I do feel better. In our damp climate, water will sit in the tubing all day long, and my theory is that drying it out eliminates habitat for bacteria. Any thoughts or experiences from anyone else?
I've used CPAP since 2004, and never had sinus infections. I DO NOT use my machine if sick, a cold just gets aggravated by it. I clean my own equipment, I have about 6 tubes I rotate. The new lightweight ones (cpapplus) are great, they're still smooth inside and are cheap enough to buy new ones, especially if you're lucky enough to have insurance that pays for it (like $4.00 ea).
I'm sure unclean equipment could be bad, if prone to nasal infections, or you might want to get well if you can do without CPAP for a short time.
I still have a bunch of bacterial filters I bought at cpapplus, they go between the humidifier and hose- so that's 3 filters before inhaling the air, but your tube still needs to be clean, obviously.
here's the link to it, fyi. Good sleep, all.

http://www.cpapplus.com/Miscellaneous/BacteriaFilter.html
I'd be interested to know how often people change their equipment: masks, tubing, etc. We're told to get all new gear at least twice a year. How often do folks really do it?

gordon nelson said:
I've used CPAP since 2004, and never had sinus infections. I DO NOT use my machine if sick, a cold just gets aggravated by it. I clean my own equipment, I have about 6 tubes I rotate. The new lightweight ones (cpapplus) are great, they're still smooth inside and are cheap enough to buy new ones, especially if you're lucky enough to have insurance that pays for it (like $4.00 ea).
I'm sure unclean equipment could be bad, if prone to nasal infections, or you might want to get well if you can do without CPAP for a short time.
I still have a bunch of bacterial filters I bought at cpapplus, they go between the humidifier and hose- so that's 3 filters before inhaling the air, but your tube still needs to be clean, obviously.

I change masks every three months - they wear out and insurance covers them. Filters once a month and tubing every six months. I keep the last mask and tubing as a spare.

Owen Dell said:
I'd be interested to know how often people change their equipment: masks, tubing, etc. We're told to get all new gear at least twice a year. How often do folks really do it?

gordon nelson
I have been on my CPAP since 2000, and have experienced the same issue over and over again. And have come to the same answers as well. I have an ENT who refuses to do soft pallet removal even though he knows that my Epiglotis hangs into my throat blocking the airway, and after multiple endoscope examinations realizes that the severe scarring in my esophogus due to heavy snoring associated with my severe obstructive sleep apnea is too difficult to justify to the insurance companies. My PCP has come to realize this and thanks to his honesty has told me that the paperwork that the ENT has to go through for justifyable surgeries is not worth his time (very ethical). Sinus infections last for weeks and colds even longer and you can't do anything. Antibiotics are only a temporary alternative and often do not do any good. Stress your concerns heavily with your PCP and ask to consult another ENT that may be associated with another sleep clinic. I hope that you will be doing better soon. We face an uphill battle every day , so keep on fighting it.
My insurance allows me to change my mask every 3 months, tubing twice anually and I am given a 6 month supply of filters. Unfortunately they only cover 1 CPAP machine for the life of the product. After 9 years its getting tired and they will probably just put new inards and give me the old one repaired back.

Owen Dell said:

gordon nelson said:

Fred Roeder Jr wrote, “ …. after multiple endoscope examinations realizes that the severe scarring in my esophogus due to heavy snoring associated with my severe obstructive sleep apnea ....”

I would bet money that your condition has been misdiagnosed. Snoring is not known to cause scarring in the esophagus. Gastroesophogeal reflux disease (GERD or acid reflux) is the most common cause of inflammation and scarring of the esophagus.

It is very common for sleep apnea patients to develop GERD.

If you have had this condition for a long time, you may be in danger of developing Barret's esophagus which increases the risk of developing esophageal cancer if left untreated.

I would see a gastroenterologist in a hurry.

Shame on your ENT for not proposing this.
Hi, is it a infection( colored mucus ) or nasal congestion. I think its important to know since CPAP without adequate humidification or moisture can cause pretty bad congestion which can be similar to an infection. I have lots of patients who come back with these type of symptoms that need to increase there temp settings on the humid. The rt should go over very carefully these important settings before you have these problems. If it is a infection excuse my comments... hope you feel better.. steve Rt......
I have chronic allergies since moving back to Texas..so my sinuses STAY messed up to some degree.. My Dr won't put me on an antibiotic OR Call it a sinus infection unless I am blowing out some off colored discharges. I take a generic brand of Claritin WHEN my sinuses bother me the most..( Loratadine 10mg)..and I use a Mucinex Nasal Spray ONLY when I feel stuffed up and can't breath. I would NEVER go off my CPAP , sinus infection or not. I use a full face mask tho' and the love affair my mask and I have when I go to bed each night is nothing short of ~ bliss~. The air going thru my nose and /or mouth and right to my lungs is like an " Awww" moment. I have HAD sinus infections tho' and I did not or WOULD NOT stop using my CPAP at night..I think Drs' sit on their high thrones.. w/ a wad of money in their back pockets and have no realistic IDEA of what is going on..they are fed info from drug salesmen/women and haven't been sick a day of their life. I think we are all on our own when it comes to figuring out WHAT to do about our health conditions....hence the need for blogs and discussions like this one.
I agree with your advice,Mike.Once I was treated for a sinus infection,I had replaced everything .Also, it is a good idea to use saline to cleanse the sinuses at least twice daily . You may look into the use of a Nettie Pot,,,,that can throughly cleanse the sinuses.. I had a very long and persistent sinus infection ( last year ) that was bothersome for months. I really wish my sleep doctor would have advised me to change it all. Instead he had given me multiple types of antibiotics( who needs that ?) I began investigating this problem on the internet and was surprised there was much to be said by CPAP users,just like us !
Mike said:
I think this calls all of our attention to the importance of cleaning and replacing our CPAP supplies, and emptying our humidifier reservoirs of all water each morning, and replacing with distilled water ONLY each evening. The idea is to keep as much bacteria out of your CPAP system as possible.

Personally, if I were you, I'd throw away my hose, CPAP cushion, filters, and replace them with new ones. Then I'd clean my humidifier tank, and I'd continue withe the CPAP even while using the antibiotics. That said, if i couldn't breathe out of my nose, i wouldn't bother. I have a nasal mask, so there would be no point.
Okay, so I am a new user, got my machine October 1st. My first night with any machine was the second sleep study and it was AWESOME, didn't wake up all night, woke up feeling great, very excited about using this thing. Now, at home, with my machine, I am suffering. It's only my left sinus, let's start there. I feel like I need to sneeze CONSTANTLY. My eye starts watering, nose running, etc. It's like having a cold with no end in sight. This happened after three nights of use, so I stopped because I kept sneezing and coughing from draining, thinking it would pass (thought it might be a cold considering the season), got fine in three days, started again, three days later, it's all back, and WORSE. The only things I can think are as follows:

1. I used tap water, which is well water, instead of distilled because I didn't have distilled yet. I am getting that today, but with no guarantee it won't continue anyway.
2. I have adjusted the humifier from 1-3, 1 left me dry, 3 gave me rainout, so I leave it at 2 now, is that right?
3. I adjusted the pressure when I found the 12 they set it at ('script says it should be 10) was blowing my mouth open, I was apparently opening my mouth at night, waking up wiht a HORRIBLE dry throat. At 10 I don't get that, and I dropped to 9 until this is resolved.

I have no problem with the mask fit, seal, nothing. No issues falling asleep or sleeping with it on. It's this sinus thing that is disruptive. I have not had a sinus issue in 15 years until this. Is it the well water? I guess it could contain some contaminants??? HELP! I love my machine, how it makes me feel, but this having to sneeze all the time SUCKS.

Stacy

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service