Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

Can a Machine Truly Tell the Difference between a Central and Obstructive Apnea Event?

I'm breaking this question out on its own, originally posed by Rock Hinkle. I have no clue. Any takers?

How does an ASV or any auto titrating machine know the difference between OSA or CSA? if a pt is only wearing a mask what is the determining factor? How can a machine with one standard for biometric feed back tell if there is blockage or a complete lack of respiratory effort?

Views: 102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

this is a bit off-topic for this thread because it's not a mask-only solution, but if the notion is that the body sends a fight or flight panic response more with obstructive apneas than with central apneas, wouldn't the best way to distinguish central apneas from obstructive apneas be by measuring blood pressure or some measure of how hard the heart is working?
actually, this is easier, the link itself: http://www.respironics.com/UserGuides/BiPAP_ST_User_Manual.pdf

Mike said:
RichM, look for and click on the listing (last one under the letter "B" for BiPAP) for the Respironics BiPAP S/T user manual, and there you download the pdf manual for the Respironics BiPAP S/T. is that what you were looking for?

RichM said:
Thanks for those links, but I am still looking for the setup guide for the Respironics S/T This will show what the setting are for the ST and what they mean. I just don't like having a machine that I don't know what it is doing and why. And from my experience with both the tech that original set it up and the sleep center that did some of the resetting both did not really know what they were doing (there own words to me) and could not answer what the other setting on the machine were or how to set them if they were needed or not. It does not give me much comfort that I am getting the needed help from them. I had ask the sleep center to get what info they can from the Respironics Rep when he comes in, but I have not hear anything so far from that. So I had put the request out here for group to help me. Again thanks for the links you gave me but they do not answer my questions.
Lets not start drawing blood from each other, yet. If ones has Obstructive apneas they in most cases don't have central apneas. These are seperate problems, and the last ASV's I was in contact with did not require being conected to a vein. Central apnea is very rare! If you have both, well I haven't seen that. I've seen obstructive with an occasional mixed apnea.

Mike said:
this is a bit off-topic for this thread because it's not a mask-only solution, but if the notion is that the body sends a fight or flight panic response more with obstructive apneas than with central apneas, wouldn't the best way to distinguish central apneas from obstructive apneas be by measuring blood pressure or some measure of how hard the heart is working?
Oh 1 more point.....Sometimes a thing that looks like a central apnea will occur following a arousal. The machines or techs sometimes over score these events. But.......it does not mean one has complex sleep apnea.
Mike no I need the one that the tech gets but does not give you. It has each of the settings and what they are and what each option is for each setting. Thanks I have the user guide and it is very high level (not much info).
Rich

Mike said:
actually, this is easier, the link itself: http://www.respironics.com/UserGuides/BiPAP_ST_User_Manual.pdf

Mike said:
RichM, look for and click on the listing (last one under the letter "B" for BiPAP) for the Respironics BiPAP S/T user manual, and there you download the pdf manual for the Respironics BiPAP S/T. is that what you were looking for?

RichM said:
Thanks for those links, but I am still looking for the setup guide for the Respironics S/T This will show what the setting are for the ST and what they mean. I just don't like having a machine that I don't know what it is doing and why. And from my experience with both the tech that original set it up and the sleep center that did some of the resetting both did not really know what they were doing (there own words to me) and could not answer what the other setting on the machine were or how to set them if they were needed or not. It does not give me much comfort that I am getting the needed help from them. I had ask the sleep center to get what info they can from the Respironics Rep when he comes in, but I have not hear anything so far from that. So I had put the request out here for group to help me. Again thanks for the links you gave me but they do not answer my questions.
Rich, They are not allowed to tell you too much about the machine because some people/patients will change the settings. That would be like letting patients perscribe thier own medications. That's it in a nut shell.

RichM said:
Mike no I need the one that the tech gets but does not give you. It has each of the settings and what they are and what each option is for each setting. Thanks I have the user guide and it is very high level (not much info).
Rich

Mike said:

Mike said:

RichM said:
EXACTLY

Duane McDade said:
Rich, They are not allowed to tell you too much about the machine because some people/patients will change the settings. That would be like letting patients perscribe thier own medications. That's it in a nut shell.

RichM said:
Rich

Mike said:

Mike said:

RichM said:
Thanks Jeff. That's on point for what I was asking.

j n k said:
Getting back to the original question (if anyone still cares :-)), different machine brands have different approaches to obstructive/central differentiation: ResMed autos, for example, assume any obstructive apnea that occurs above 10 cm pressure might be a central, and doesn't attack it. ResMeds do attack flow limitations above 10 cm, on the theory that doing so will preemptively deal with obstructive apneas that would have occurred above 10 cm, since most obstructives are preceded by flow limitations.

Respironics autos attempt to treat any apnea that follows another apnea, and does so by increasing pressure. If the increased pressure doesn't treat the apnea, the Respironics machine marks it as a possible central, in hindsight.

The Sandman auto attempts to pick up heart oscillations in the flow signal, and if there is an apnea with those oscillations, the machine knows it is a central, since there would be no way to pick up heart osciallations if there was an obstruction. I believe that feature is patented.

Hope that addresses your original question, Mike.

jeff
thanks jnk
j n k said:
Getting back to the original question (if anyone still cares :-)), different machine brands have different approaches to obstructive/central differentiation:

ResMed autos, for example, assume any obstructive apnea that occurs above 10 cm pressure might be a central, and doesn't attack it. ResMeds do attack flow limitations above 10 cm, on the theory that doing so will preemptively deal with obstructive apneas that would have occurred above 10 cm, since most obstructives are preceded by flow limitations.

Respironics autos attempt to treat any apnea that follows another apnea, and does so by increasing pressure. If the increased pressure doesn't treat the apnea, the Respironics machine marks it as a possible central, in hindsight.

The Sandman auto attempts to pick up heart oscillations in the flow signal, and if there is an apnea with those oscillations, the machine knows it is a central, since there would be no way to pick up heart osciallations if there was an obstruction. I believe that feature is patented.

jeff
Jeff, just looking over this again and realize i don't understand the Sandman's patented feature at all: what is a heart oscillation and how would a machine connected to a nasal mask pick it up?

j n k said:
Getting back to the original question (if anyone still cares :-)), different machine brands have different approaches to obstructive/central differentiation:
ResMed autos, for example, assume any obstructive apnea that occurs above 10 cm pressure might be a central, and doesn't attack it. ResMeds do attack flow limitations above 10 cm, on the theory that doing so will preemptively deal with obstructive apneas that would have occurred above 10 cm, since most obstructives are preceded by flow limitations.

jeff

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service