Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

American Heart Association Gives OSA Patients the Finger

I have personally approached the marketing/ communications director of the American Heart Association to work together with the NYC AWAKE group to spread OSA awareness, and she essentially told us to pound sand because the connection between OSA and heart disease was not sufficiently proven. Outrageous, huh?

Views: 1085

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I believe that most misunderstandings come down to semantics.

That is some funny stuff! Do you play the blues Jeff?
Here is a copy of the prompt reply from Ms. Wilkins to my letter to her regarding her lask of willingess to work with NYC AWAKE.

"Dear Ms. Zimlich,

In 2008, the AHA issued a statement calling for further research on the connection between sleep apnea and cardiovascular disease. The fact that AHA published a scientific statement on OSA is testament to the growing body of research on the topic. There are many research topics that the AHA cannot take a position on due to a lack of definitive evidence. However, this does not mean that AHA has a "pro" or "con" position on OSA and CVD or any other areas that require more research. Additional research will allow the AHA to provide clear direction to healthcare providers and patients about specific risks, treatments and benefits. We will continue to support meritorious science in this arena; and, as the science continues to emerge on this front, we will continue to inform the public and the medical community.

Sincerely,
Cathy Wilkins

Catherine M. Wilkins
Vice President, Marketing & Communications
Founders Affiliate
American Heart Association
122 East 42nd Street, 18th Fl.
New York, NY 10168

Fax: 212.878.5960
cathy.wilkins@heart.org"
Wow! There were some good threads in the two days I was away.

Mary, I would just say to Ms. Wilkins, if she were working in a competitive, private, for-profit sector, her competitors would run over her with the steamroller of progress. Good for her that she sticks with a non-profit.

Thanks for your efforts.
Good work Mary. And thanks for posting this. Comical to me, though, that the AHA "cannot take a position" on the connection between sleep apnea and cardiovascular disease "due to a lack of definitive evidence." Essentially, this means they're not convinced that not breathing is bad for the heart. Foolish to be sure . . . but at least they're consistently foolish ;-)

Mary Z said:
Here is a copy of the prompt reply from Ms. Wilkins to my letter to her regarding her lask of willingess to work with NYC AWAKE.

"Dear Ms. Zimlich,

In 2008, the AHA issued a statement calling for further research on the connection between sleep apnea and cardiovascular disease. The fact that AHA published a scientific statement on OSA is testament to the growing body of research on the topic. There are many research topics that the AHA cannot take a position on due to a lack of definitive evidence. However, this does not mean that AHA has a "pro" or "con" position on OSA and CVD or any other areas that require more research. Additional research will allow the AHA to provide clear direction to healthcare providers and patients about specific risks, treatments and benefits. We will continue to support meritorious science in this arena; and, as the science continues to emerge on this front, we will continue to inform the public and the medical community.

Sincerely,
Cathy Wilkins

Catherine M. Wilkins
Founders Affiliate
New York, NY 10168

cathy.wilkins@heart.org"
Michael,

I realize I am late to the discussion on this issue and I want to commend everyone for the research they have done on finding the published words/slides from the AHA itself discussing the relationship between OSA and CVD. It is not like they are unaware of the connection.

I read with great interest the article in Circulation about OSA. I will note that among those on the writing committee for the article were Virend Somers a Mayo Clinic cardiologist who has dedicated much of his career to exploring the relationship between OSA and heart disease. Also on the list are David White, one of grand "old" men of sleep medicine, who is now the chief medical officer for Philips/Respironics; Carl Hunt past director of the National Center on Sleep Disorders Research at the NIH and Terry Young the lead author of the 1993 NEJM article, which still stands as the only epidemiology study done on sleep apnea. The AHA article was penned with the input of some who are very much involved in OSA research, diagnosis and treatment.

When I got the end of the article that includes the challenges ahead, which you quoted from the slide set, I saw this throwing down the gauntlet to the broader sleep medicine community to step up and do more. The laundry list is long and daunting, and slowly, too slowly for some of us, progress is being made to address those issues. Let me say that the American Sleep Apnea Association is aware of the "to do" list - in fact it is pinned to my desk - so I am reminded of it frequently and, we in our own way are seeking to move the needle on the ones where we can.

That said, I would like to comment on Ms. Wilkins' letter and say too bad for her that she is missing an opportunity to raise the visibility of her organization, something a nonprofit big or small should seek to do, by partnering with NYC A.W.A.K.E. to raise awareness about heart disease and in this case OSA. It is her loss not ours. I suspect there are other related groups that would welcome the opportunity to participate in a meeting.

The ASAA is reaching out to a number of organizations in the heart disease space through our involvement with the National Forum on Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention - http://hearthealthystrokefree.org - as way to bridge the disease silos that exist and work together to mitigate/prevent injury, disability and death from untreated OSA - a gateway to many other co-morbid conditions. My goal is that in the near future, organizations like the AHA will seek out support groups in the A.W.A.K.E. Network to work together to educate and raise awareness.

Michael thank you for the outstanding work you do to facilitate education and support sleep apnea patients in the Big Apple. Your commitment is a spur to me to reach further and do more everyday.

Ed Grandi
Executive Director
American Sleep Apnea Association
Wow ! This is not so much a "wow" about this information as a big "wow" about you (as a doctor) having the courage to state it. It takes conviction and courage to risk being labelled as a maverick. (As a teacher - and often labelled maverick within education - I know whereof I speak.) I admire your honesty and integrity, Dr.Park. Indeed maintaining the status quo is all some professionals and the various organizations to which they belong, are good for. They hinder knowledge and progress since they are always bringing up the rear guard instead of standing in the forefront, as you have been. Kudos to you !

Steven Y. Park, MD said:
The AHA is a trade organization, just like all the other medical organizations. Their main goal is to protect their member's professional and financial interests. Admitting that OSA is a major cause of heart disease would be upsetting the status quo, since all the entire heart health industry is based on medications and surgical procedures. Imagine what would happen if 90% of all sleep apnea patients were found and treated...
My name is Candace Wells and I have been diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea which my cardiologist believes is connected to my abouts with Atrial Fibrillation. I have been to the emergency room 3 times in the last year and a half. My DME Equipment is a medical need, but my insurance will not cover the equipment and therefore, I have to pay out of pocket. I do not have $800.00 in my pocket to pay for the equipment I need, through the provider they use, so I guess I will have to suffer. My insurance obviously would rather pay for my emergency room visits to have me treated with Cardio Inversion instead, which is much more costly. What kind of sense does that make?

Sincerely,

Candace M. Wells

Mary Z said:

"Dear Ms. Zimlich,

Sincerely,
Cathy Wilkins

Catherine M. Wilkins
Founders Affiliate
New York, NY 10168

cathy.wilkins@heart.org"
Candace,

You are correct about your insurance company. It would rather pay to treat the sporadic, acute problems you develop that land you in the emergency room than pay for the less costly, but ongoing preventative measures that will keep you out of the emergency room. It's a cash flow issue for them AND if they pay for preventative medicine, they have a 100% shot at paying to take care of you, whereas if they string you along without paying for things upfront there's a chance you'll go away (die), and they won't wind up paying anything. So perhaps there's only a 70% chance they'll have to pay for taking care of you. When they run the math (because that's all that will matter to them at the end of the day), it makes economic sense for them not to pay upfront for the preventative medicine. I think this is unconscionable and wrong. But it's how healthcare works to the best of my knowledge.

Mike

candace wells said:
My name is Candace Wells and I have been diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea which my cardiologist believes is connected to my abouts with Atrial Fibrillation. I have been to the emergency room 3 times in the last year and a half. My DME Equipment is a medical need, but my insurance will not cover the equipment and therefore, I have to pay out of pocket. I do not have $800.00 in my pocket to pay for the equipment I need, through the provider they use, so I guess I will have to suffer. My insurance obviously would rather pay for my emergency room visits to have me treated with Cardio Inversion instead, which is much more costly. What kind of sense does that make?
Sincerely,
Candace M. Wells

Mary Z said:

"Dear Ms. Zimlich,

Sincerely,
Cathy Wilkins

Catherine M. Wilkins
Founders Affiliate
New York, NY 10168

cathy.wilkins@heart.org"
Wow! You are right, it makes me very angry! It took them aver a month to even transfer my presription over to Apria who their provider. I refuse to buy anything from them because they weren't very helpful. When I asked if they had payment plans, I was given a bunch of different answers. I have been in contact with someone online who they did offer a 10 month payment pllan to. What liars! Anyway, thank you for your quick response.

Mike said:
Candace,

You are correct about your insurance company. It would rather pay to treat the sporadic, acute problems you develop that land you in the emergency room than pay for the less costly, but ongoing preventative measures that will keep you out of the emergency room. It's a cash flow issue for them AND if they pay for preventative medicine, they have a 100% shot at paying to take care of you, whereas if they string you along without paying for things upfront there's a chance you'll go away (die), and they won't wind up paying anything. So perhaps there's only a 70% chance they'll have to pay for taking care of you. When they run the math (because that's all that will matter to them at the end of the day), it makes economic sense for them not to pay upfront for the preventative medicine.

I think this is unconscionable and wrong. But it's how healthcare works to the best of my knowledge.

Mike

candace wells said:

Sincerely,

Candace M. Wells

Mary Z said:

"Dear Ms. Zimlich,

Sincerely,
Cathy Wilkins

Catherine M. Wilkins
Founders Affiliate
New York, NY 10168

cathy.wilkins@heart.org"
it does make a person angry, huh? makes me angry too.

candace wells said:
Wow! You are right, it makes me very angry! It took them aver a month to even transfer my presription over to Apria who their provider. I refuse to buy anything from them because they weren't very helpful. When I asked if they had payment plans, I was given a bunch of different answers. I have been in contact with someone online who they did offer a 10 month payment pllan to. What liars! Anyway, thank you for your quick response.

Mike said:
Candace,

You are correct about your insurance company. It would rather pay to treat the sporadic, acute problems you develop that land you in the emergency room than pay for the less costly, but ongoing preventative measures that will keep you out of the emergency room. It's a cash flow issue for them AND if they pay for preventative medicine, they have a 100% shot at paying to take care of you, whereas if they string you along without paying for things upfront there's a chance you'll go away (die), and they won't wind up paying anything. So perhaps there's only a 70% chance they'll have to pay for taking care of you. When they run the math (because that's all that will matter to them at the end of the day), it makes economic sense for them not to pay upfront for the preventative medicine.

I think this is unconscionable and wrong. But it's how healthcare works to the best of my knowledge.

Mike

candace wells said:

Sincerely,

Candace M. Wells

Mary Z said:

"Dear Ms. Zimlich,

Sincerely,
Cathy Wilkins

Catherine M. Wilkins
Founders Affiliate
New York, NY 10168

cathy.wilkins@heart.org"
You need to carefully read your insurance contract. Get in touch with HR at your company and ask them for help. See if you can change insurance carriers - if not now, then perhaps during the next open registration time. Insurance carriers often simply deny any claims made by the insured, then, when the insured forces the issue they belly up and pay them because in reality, that item IS covered. What they have done is made many people just go away and therefore have essentially STOLEN benefits from them.

THIS should be against the law, and any and all insurance companies that perform this should be guilty of FELONY THEFT, with the responsibility going directly to the CEO, COO, CFO, and BOD who ALL would assume equal and joint liability. In addition, ANY denial of benefits should be required to be followed up with a letter and in the cases of the cost being denied over $100, using registered mail.

With health care reform LIKE THIS in place, people would once again be able to get coverage for what they are ALREADY paying for!

candace wells said:

Sincerely,

Candace M. Wells

Mary Z said:

"Dear Ms. Zimlich,

Sincerely,
Cathy Wilkins

Catherine M. Wilkins
Founders Affiliate
New York, NY 10168

cathy.wilkins@heart.org"
I appreciate your response. It does say in the contract that it does not cover DME Equipment for this particular problem. However, the contract also states that the request is to be reviewed by the assigned physician and if the physician deems it medically necessary, then they should cover it. But everytime I try to read them their own contract, they keep giving me the run around. Thank you for your response.

Carl said:
You need to carefully read your insurance contract. Get in touch with HR at your company and ask them for help. See if you can change insurance carriers - if not now, then perhaps during the next open registration time. Insurance carriers often simply deny any claims made by the insured, then, when the insured forces the issue they belly up and pay them because in reality, that item IS covered. What they have done is made many people just go away and therefore have essentially STOLEN benefits from them.

THIS should be against the law, and any and all insurance companies that perform this should be guilty of FELONY THEFT, with the responsibility going directly to the CEO, COO, CFO, and BOD who ALL would assume equal and joint liability. In addition, ANY denial of benefits should be required to be followed up with a letter and in the cases of the cost being denied over $100, using registered mail.

With health care reform LIKE THIS in place, people would once again be able to get coverage for what they are ALREADY paying for!

candace wells said:

Sincerely,

Candace M. Wells

Mary Z said:

"Dear Ms. Zimlich,

Sincerely,
Cathy Wilkins

Catherine M. Wilkins
Founders Affiliate
New York, NY 10168

cathy.wilkins@heart.org"

Reply to Discussion

RSS