Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
Hi I just received my cpap yesterday and I need some HELP. 

Last night I woke up multiple times with gas. Can someone please advise me as to what I can so that I don't have gas again tonight and be able to get some much needed rest??

thank-you so much!

Views: 49

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Missy,
Just to let you know, I'm not a MD, just a sleep tech. Swallowing air is pretty common for folks who are starting off on cpap. For some, it's just a process of getting use to the pressure and some for some it's that their pressure is actually set too high. My advice for you, if possible try to sleep on your side or belly for a couple of days and see if that helps. Your body should adjust to the therapy pretty quickly. BUT, if after a week or so, if you're still having issues with swallowing air during the night, you might want to contact your sleep doc, or pcp and let them know. They might have your pressures turned down for a bit to see if that helps correct the problem.
Thanks Walt I was just reading about issues with gas. i will call my pcp, but i don't think that he knows to much about this so I'm going to ask to see a pulmonologist. so that they could monitor me closely.

Also I took gas-x so that should help me as well. hopefully.

Walt Service said:
Hi Missy,
Just to let you know, I'm not a MD, just a sleep tech. Swallowing air is pretty common for folks who are starting off on cpap. For some, it's just a process of getting use to the pressure and some for some it's that their pressure is actually set too high. My advice for you, if possible try to sleep on your side or belly for a couple of days and see if that helps. Your body should adjust to the therapy pretty quickly. BUT, if after a week or so, if you're still having issues with swallowing air during the night, you might want to contact your sleep doc, or pcp and let them know. They might have your pressures turned down for a bit to see if that helps correct the problem.
Also it will help to practice breathing (while awake, reading in a chair, watching TV) with your mouth closed and while wearing your cpap. If you can keep your mouth shut while using your cpap, chances are you can cut down the "gas" issue.
thanks for the advice Mark. It was better in terms of gas but I woke up at 2 am with very dry mouth. Is this because I'm sleeping with my mouth open?
Hi Missy, certain meds can cause dry mouth, but if you don't have it during the day, it's probably from sleeping with your mouth open. There are spcial toothpastes and mouthwashes for dry mouth. Banyon also gave a remedy of biotene gel- a dab on the top of your palate behind your front teeth. Try not to disturb it, but let it disburse during the night. Hope the Gas-X helped. Are you burping air, or passing gas? My guess would be burping. Got to be a bother, good luck.
Mary

Missy said:
thanks for the advice Mark. It was better in terms of gas but I woke up at 2 am with very dry mouth. Is this because I'm sleeping with my mouth open?
If you are opening your mouth while asleep, your pressure is going out of your mouth and not keeping your airway open. You must find a way to keep your mouth closed.

What mask are you using? If it is nasal pillows, try a chin strap (although many find that these aren't very effective, switch to a full face mask, or tape your mouth). If you try taping your mouth do so with an easy to remove tape (many find the blue painters tape works well) and fold over the edges for easy removal.

Many find that they have issues with gas in the beginning, but after awhile it gets better. Gas-X may not work -- but did in my case. I used it the first few days to help with the gas. Hopefully you will find benefit from it as well.
Before it was burping but that was under control. Now the problem is that I've been passing gas all day. I use the mask Flexifit405 (nasal mask).

My ears are getting clog when I wear the mask and try to yawn. They pop like if I'm on an airplane any suggestions for this? Sorry for so many questions but I do appreciate your advice. It's getting some used to wearing this mask and using this machine. thanks again I really do appreciate it.
Part of it is an adjustment period, meaning your body getting used to the treatment.

I wonder if using your mask some during waking hours would help your body adjust quicker. Watch some tv or read with it on and you are sitting up. When awake you can make a concious effort to keep from swallowing excess air and your ears may adapt quicker. Just a possiblity, might be worth a try.
thanks sleepycarol i used the mask for 20 min while i was watching tv today. it is some getting use to.
The priorities are wrong in this thread. At this point you need to forget about the dry mouth and gas because you have a much bigger problem.

If you are using a nasal mask and mouthbreathing, it is highly likely that a therapeutic pressure is not being maintained and you are still having respiratory events.

The first priority should be to make your therapy effective. Full face masks were designed for people who mouthbreathe for part or all of the night. I recommend you get a full face mask and learn how to use it.

After you are effectively using a full face mask, there are some things that can be done to prevent or relieve dry mouth and gas.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service