Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
would appreciate any help responding to this from a newbie i met: i believe i have upper airway obstructive disease, due to my narrow jaw structure. A c pap machine at a level 8 pressure was recommended after the sleep study.

It was recommended when I had a mask fitting that I get the resmeds9 cpap machine as the tech said it had a heated humidifer which would be more comfortable over time, and the respironic go life nasal pillow seemed to fit me the best of the ones that were tried.

When the c pap machine was delivered the company brought a different machine and mask than the one the tech and I had agreed on, they brought the phillips respironics ds150
and the respironics comfort light gel mask.  The respiratory therapist said that respironics is top of the line and the model is within the  year, and it is  thecompany that makes the best machines, and he did not think a heating component made a difference. This machine was heavier than the resmed9, and I do travel a lot.

I would appreciate your feedback on which of these machines you think is better as I am really new to all of this, and if you think it is better that I ask for the original machine that had a heating option, I wonder if that would make a difference in the winter.

I am new to all of this, I am wondering if you have heard feedback on these machines from your members, and if there has been any feedback on the different masks.  Is there a particular nasal pillow mask and full face mask that people seem
to like the most?

I have tried the machine a little, but have not slept thru the nite yet,  My symptoms aren't severe but I do feel my overall sense of energy and mental clarity has been affected.

Views: 433

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Your RT at the DME (the supplier) is out of line and wrong on so many levels. (I had one like that, so I understand how you might feel cheated.)

Some Respironics are top of the line but that particular Respironics model isn't; it's bottom of the line and sells for less than $500 online.

That said, if your sleep doc ordered a Resmed S9 CPAP with heated humidification, which probably sells for several hundred more than the DS 150, that's what you should have gotten. The exact same thing happened to me. We agreed on the Resmed beforehand but out comes the Respironics at the DME; boy, was I mad! I used the wrong machine (which I hated) three nights and eventually got the machine I wanted - a Resmed S9 VPAP - but the doc had to intercede and write another prescription.

You should get in touch with your sleep doc and tell them the RT at the supplier isn't filling the machine and mask prescription as ordered and that the problem needs to be rectified.

Masks are very individual so it's hard to say what's the best. Go to CPAP.com and read all the mask reviews. You'll get a boggling number of opinions on almost every mask out there.

PS Not all of us sleep through the night on CPAP so please don't get discouraged; it *will* get rid of lots of apneas if even you don't sleep 8 hours straight. :)

Mike, I use a Resmed S9 Auto and find it quite good and light weight. I haven't tried any other machine so can't compare. The humidifer is extremely important and I would get it changed over even if the cost is higher.
I use a Resmed Mirage Quatro (Full Face Mask) but as Marcia said masks are very individual and what suits one person may not suit another.

Interesting thing about the Mirage Quattros. I started out with one and it leaked like a sieve on me. Now I'm using the newer Mirage Quattro FX and it works great; both were mediums.

I have lots of troubles with nasal masks; I keep getting lip leaks and my mouth opens wide when I fall asleep. After 90 minutes of that my mouth feels like I haven't had a sip of anything in three days! If your mouth stays closed when you sleep the nasal mask should would great for you. 

Marcia, it took me a while to get used to the Mirage Quattro and get rid of those leaks, a couple of things I found that helped were mask liners, I also dampen the cloth I have for my head rest as I have oily skin it seems to keep it in place better and having the hose above my head rather than to the side has helped dramatically.
I am training myself to breathe through my nose as even when I was eating or sitting watching TV I was breathing though my mouth.
I am very aware of it now and are really trying to get in the habit of breathing through my nose prior to sleeping and when I wake up, it is obviously difficult when I'm asleep.
I plan to sitck with this mask for a while then maybe look at a nasal mask. I did try one initally but had the same mouth issues as you.

I love RemZzz mask liners. Pad-a-cheek makes some - very different from RemZzz - and I'm sure there are others doing their versions too. Liners sure make it more pleasant to wear a mask. Even the gel kinds are uncomfortable to me.

You're right about tube placement. I hang mine over the arm of a high-ish wall lamp but the right  overhead placement sounds even better.

I have bought one of the Pad-a-cheek but was still getting leaks, I need to try it again.
I use a mixture of Remzzz's and make my own which are much cheaper. In Australia I buy a metre sq (3 ft)of cotton fabric for $4.00 and I have only used half that in 2 months.
I used the Remzzz's to make a template then cut them out myself.
I wash them every second day and get 4-6 uses each.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service