Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
In doing my weekly cleaning of my CPAP equipment today I noticed an accumulation of white stuff on the bottom of the water chamber. A small section I can reach with a knife, I can scrape some of it away, but most of itI can't get to. Even letting it set with pure vinegar does not affect it. If it was a calcium deposit I would think the vinegar would dissolve it. I am worried it is some sort of fungus! My lungs are healthy right now, I would hate to make them sick. I have an appointment with the pulmonologist on Weds, two days from now, and am going to take the chamber with. In the meantime...have any of you guys seen this before?

At one time I did not know to pull off a top piece and clean that weekly as well. It had some black mold growing on it...I now clean that weekly and have no more problem with that. I just don't want the treatment of my problem to ever be worse for than the problem itself.

Views: 8670

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The only trouble with most insurance is that you have to have your deductible met before the insurance will kick in and help. If you have a high deductible and are strapped for cash it can be difficult, at times, to replace items -- especially if you use a brick and mortar DME as they charge more than online dealers.
Medicare will replace the humidifier water tank every six months. Other insurances often follow Medicare practices.

I've used nothng but distilled water in my Humidaire 3i since October 2006 and am still using the original water tank that came w/it. I seldom empty and clean it, usually only when traveling. When I do clean it I just use a Polident Denture Cleanser tablet and very warm water w/a vinegar rinse. And this tank is just as clear as when new.

However, I am in Michigan and not one of the hot, humid southern states.
I Agree with Mike. Get a new one. If you can't right away try using a little lemon juice, salt, and ice with a little water. Cover and shake. Little trick I learned to clean out coffee pots in the restaurant industry.

Mike said:
Dawn, it just occurred to me that the best thing for you to do would be to toss the humidifier and just replace it with a new one. these things are supposed to be switched out every few months anyway, and if you have insurance or Medicare, it will be reimbursed at no/little charge to you. Can you toss it and replace?
Problem solved.....I took the tank with me to my regular check up with the pulmonologist. As soon as they heard "white stuff" they didn't even need to look...just said to throw that tank out and that I was able to get a replacement tank every six months along with the replacements of all the other equipment. It was an "upgraded" tank I got...a deeper reservoir. I also got a new set of Nasal prongs "For women." Comes in a fancy lite blue bag...and the nasal piece is curved to better fit above my upper lip and the whole prong set up is smaller and fits better. Sure pays to get my rear into the office once in a while....

I honestly was not aware that the tank was able to be replaced every six months like the other equipment. I've had that tank since I first got the machine over two years ago. I m going to hang onto it and try some of the mentioned remedies and see if anything clears it. I like have spare equipment around.
I use distilled water but I have tested another chamber with tap for 6 mos. I soaked it in vinegar & water 3:1 ratio. The calcium deposits came clean. I rinsed really well & have used the chamber. Vinegar is a great natural disinfectant to use on your equipment.
You know there isn't always truth in advertising. I would switch brands of distilled waters and see if you still have a problem. You might also want to check/ change your filters maybe it is something that is being pulled into the water by the air.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service