Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
Has anyone heard the term Positional Sleep Apnea?
I recently heard a discussion about it and how not sleeping on your back is the "answer".

Views: 225

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Positional sleep apnea applies to some portion of all those diagnosed with sleep apnea. Here's an article on positional sleep apnea that you might want to refer to. sleep apnea will almost certainly be worse sleeping on your back. sleeping on your side can reduce the severity of sleep apnea. that said, it's hard to stay on one's side all night (or to be sure you're doing so), and positional sleep apnea doesn't give you the same reassurance of hard numbers/results that the data capable cpap machines do.
I was a dedicated tummy sleeper. I was able to "train" myself to quit sleeping on my tummy by basting some of my husband's heavy hunting socks tied in knots to the front of my old PJs. It took maybe a month but I haven't slept on my tummy since to my knowledge. I see no reason why that might not also work for many to train themselves NOT to sleep on their back. (I've never slept on my tummy thru 6 PSGs since then as "proof").

To give you an idea of what a difference sleep position can make another apnean in another forum just recently posted that he needs 17cms or 19 cms (I've forgotten) when he sleeps on his back. But only 8 cms - 9 cms on his side or tummy. He trained himself not to sleep on his back and is now getting the best sleep of his life w/his CPAP. He just couldn't get acclimated to the high pressure needed when sleeping on his back and his sleep doctor suggested the PSA training.

Then there are those I've read who just never were able to find anything that helped them STOP sleeping on their back. Since I don't require a really high pressure I almost wish I had never trained myself not to sleep on my tummy. Training myself not to was a lot more tiring than acclimating to CPAP!!!
I guess in some cases that it would improve when sleeping on your side. It does help in my case. The trick is to stay on your side. My sleep doctor once suggested that I stitch a tennis ball into the back of my T shirt.
My husband was told by our sleep apnea doctor that he must stop sleeping on his back. He told us to make a pouch and place three tennis balls in it. sew it to the back of his tee shirt. It worked and he no longer sleeps on his back. after several months we removed the tennis balls. He has Alzheimer's and it was hard to train himself.
He uses a CPAP set on 16 pressure .He use to fall asleep when visiting with people. Now he only sleeps when he wants to.
Martha,

Tennis ball method is pretty crude and doesn't work for many people. You might consider the Zzoma device for your husband. This is what it looks like:

Also, on the Alzheimer's, you might be interested in this post about sleep apnea causing alzheimer's

Mike

Martha G. Lee said:
My husband was told by our sleep apnea doctor that he must stop sleeping on his back. He told us to make a pouch and place three tennis balls in it. sew it to the back of his tee shirt. It worked and he no longer sleeps on his back. after several months we removed the tennis balls. He has Alzheimer's and it was hard to train himself.
He uses a CPAP set on 16 pressure .He use to fall asleep when visiting with people. Now he only sleeps when he wants to.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service