Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
I came across this older article by Dr. Guilleminault, published in 2005, which showed that most sleepwalkers have sleep-breathing problems. All sleepwalkers who were compliant with CPAP were cured. Non-compliant patients did not improve. Those that underwent successful surgery also had complete resolution of their sleepwalking. Another study that supports my sleep-breathing paradigm.

Views: 59

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is very interesting Dr. Park. I had my first sleep walker not to long ago. He did have mild apnea.He claimed that he only walked when he drank . which made for an interesting study as he seemed to drink every night. I found the data to be very fascinating. He did walk out of the equipment once though.
Fascinating. How does the sleep-breathing paradigm explain the connection? I got the book Sleep Interrupted, but haven't yet had the time to read much of it yet (but what I did read so far was terrific!)
Found this while researching sleepwalkers

http://www.lakesidepress.com/pulmonary/Sleep/sleep-murder.htm
Mike, from what I have been able to find sleepwalking is a parasomnia caused by arousals in slow wave sleep usually in the first third of the night. Apneac patients have lots of arousals making the chances for sleepwalking greater. So I guess by treating the apnea and thus eliminating or decreasing the arousals one can lower the risk of sleepwalking. Fascinating how it all slowly leads back to fixing the apnea.
that totally explains the connection between sleepwalking and apnea, which was not at all obvious to me. thanks, as always, Rock! You da man!

Rock Hinkle said:
Mike, from what I have been able to find sleepwalking is a parasomnia caused by arousals in slow wave sleep usually in the first third of the night. Apneac patients have lots of arousals making the chances for sleepwalking greater. So I guess by treating the apnea and thus eliminating or decreasing the arousals one can lower the risk of sleepwalking. Fascinating how it all slowly leads back to fixing the apnea.
I did not see the connection either Mike. It has been a very interesting read.

Mike said:
that totally explains the connection between sleepwalking and apnea, which was not at all obvious to me. thanks, as always, Rock! You da man!

Rock Hinkle said:
Thanks, Rock for your great explanation, which is along the lines of what I was thinking. Sometimes, when you're transitioning back and forth from sleep to wake, there's more of a chance that your sleep stages can get confused and get "stuck" in an intermediate stage.

There are reports of other various conditions such as cluster headaches and cathathrenia (moaning loudly while sleeping) resolving completely by treating an underlying sleep-breathing problem. Dr. Christian Guilleminault reported on both these conditions.
No Dr. Park, thank you! Had it not been for your post(and several others) I would have not searched out the info.

Steven Y. Park, MD said:
Thanks, Rock for your great explanation, which is along the lines of what I was thinking. Sometimes, when you're transitioning back and forth from sleep to wake, there's more of a chance that your sleep stages can get confused and get "stuck" in an intermediate stage.

There are reports of other various conditions such as cluster headaches and cathathrenia (moaning loudly while sleeping) resolving completely by treating an underlying sleep-breathing problem. Dr. Christian Guilleminault reported on both these conditions.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service