Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019
I think I read about this on another site. My apologies if this is a repost here.

I am one of those who gets a lot of redness and irritation on the bridge of my nose from my mask. Moleskin has worked the best so far, but some days the bridge of my nose is an angry red (What happened to your nose? comments). There is a product called "Comfort Care Sleep Comfort Care Pad" available on cpap.com (maybe other places). It is "hypoallergenic, silicone and latex free". I just got mine yesterday- a small size as I wear a small quattro. I still seems to be too wide and I may have to cut it down. I didn't try it last night as it has a funny smell and is going to require a mirror and a few minutes of fitting/adjusting time. I'm soaking it in baking soda for a while today to see if I can get rid of the smell. It is a "polymer gel composed of USP grade mineral oil", supposed to last 30 days: also "mosturizes by gradually and constantly diffusing onto the skin". Cost $15.00 plus shipping. Came quickly.
I heard pros and cons about it, but it certainly may be worth trying. I'll report back on how it works.

Mary Zimlich

Views: 645

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Brendyah,

I too am a woman of color. The Comfort Pad I ordered yesterdeay and paid for next day shipping is scheduled to arrive today. Hopefully it comes as scheduled and I can try it tonight. I'll let you know how it works tomorrow. I'll also send you a friend invite.

BRENDYAH said:
My mask as well kills my nose too I thought it was only me havin this problem but i see iam not the only one and be being a woman of color it tends to make the skin kind of dark but sore to the touch , but after a few hours it wears off , but thanks for this information
This a comment for the person using the full-life mask and bridge of nose irritation. I too experienced th same problem initially and found out two things. First, let your nose heal and don't irritate it further for at least a couple of days. In my case a bandaid helped. It may seem very simplistic but, most full face problems with the nose are a result of wearing the mask to tight. I always stress to my patients to wear it snug enough to prevent a leak, but not to the point of it being uncomfortable. A leak during the night is usually solved by re-adjusting the mask. The full-life mask by respironics is a very good mask when worn properly.
Hanging your hose above your head reduces a lot of the "hose tugging" that causes much of that bridge of the nose irritation. It would also help to eliminate "rain out".

Another alternative is to clip the hose to your PJ front so that your PJs take the brunt of the "hose tugging" on your mask as you change positions during your sleep.
I don't want to poo-poo products like moleskin & the comfort pad because I think they can be of help in specific cases. I harbor a concern, though, that DME vendors will inappropriately recommend such products to cover poor mask fitting technique. Moleskin & other protective devices should be made available for patients, but not used as a crutch for lazy healthcare professionals.
The Sleep Comfort Care Pad works like a charm for me!! I'll be ordering more. Yaaaay!!! :-)

simanc said:
I just started using the Full Life full face mask this week (Monday) and after the first night I noticed the soreness on the bridge of my nose. I knew I needed to find something to address the pressure point but was not able to find a workable solution after the first night. So I resorted to using a Band-aid on night 2. Didn't help much.

Today I learned about the Sleep Comfort Care Pad, orderedt on-line and paid for next day delivery. Tonight I'll be using another kind of Band-Aid designed to be padding on blistered areas. Hopefully that will help more than just the plain Band-Aid.

I'm really hoping the Comfort Care Pad helps.

Will keep you posted.
The Sleep Comfort Care Pad worked like a charm for me!!! I think I finally have the right combination of pressure, mask, mask accessories and pillow to get a good night's sleep. Yaaaay!!! :-)

It will take a few days, maybe weeks for the red spot to fade but at least I'm on the road to recovery.

simanc said:
I just started using the Full Life full face mask this week (Monday) and after the first night I noticed the soreness on the bridge of my nose. I knew I needed to find something to address the pressure point but was not able to find a workable solution after the first night. So I resorted to using a Band-aid on night 2. Didn't help much.

Today I learned about the Sleep Comfort Care Pad, orderedt on-line and paid for next day delivery. Tonight I'll be using another kind of Band-Aid designed to be padding on blistered areas. Hopefully that will help more than just the plain Band-Aid.

I'm really hoping the Comfort Care Pad helps.

Will keep you posted.
Rock, thanks for this input. I agree that often times we are rushed through and sufficient time isn't spent on getting the mask "just right".

It is hard to judge how the mask feels with just a few moments with it on. I know for me a pair of shoes can feel really comfortable and don't appear to cause any issues when tried on in the store. BUT wearing them for an extended period time can show problem areas that can be difficult to address. I believe it is the same with new masks. I think this it is important that DMEs address these issues to help relieve those problem areas.
Hi Rock,
Any thoughts on my previous question:

Just a thought - this pad with mineral oil would probably not be safe for those apneans using an "oxygen bleed" through their CPAP due to the mineral oil. I was warned by my DME to not even use a lip balm or any other product with mineral oil around the oxygen concentrator due to potential hazard of combustability. If anyone can confirm that, I would appreciate the feedback.

Rock Conner RRT said:
I don't want to poo-poo products like moleskin & the comfort pad because I think they can be of help in specific cases. I harbor a concern, though, that DME vendors will inappropriately recommend such products to cover poor mask fitting technique. Moleskin & other protective devices should be made available for patients, but not used as a crutch for lazy healthcare professionals.
I didn't have any luck with the sleep Comfort Care Pad, to my surprise. I had to cut it down because of leak trouble, and it never helped my nose redness or irritation. I am now using the lanolin product for nursing mothers and neosporin if I have a breakout plus a bandaid. Some days this is great, but the bridge of my nose still tends to breakout. At least the broken skin part of it is gone- I credit the lanolin for that.

Mary Z.
i do not think it is combustion is the problem i remember someone said that grease and oxygen can make the grease go like a bullet straight through your skin the same applies to air that is air at a garage to pump up tires so we are talking high pressure

RL said:
Hi Rock,

Just a thought - this pad with mineral oil would probably not be safe for those apneans using an "oxygen bleed" through their CPAP due to the mineral oil. I was warned by my DME to not even use a lip balm or any other product with mineral oil around the oxygen concentrator due to potential hazard of combustability. If anyone can confirm that, I would appreciate the feedback.

Rock Conner RRT said:
oxygen is combustable on its own and does not need anything else to get it going

99 said:
i do not think it is combustion is the problem i remember someone said that grease and oxygen can make the grease go like a bullet straight through your skin the same applies to air that is air at a garage to pump up tires so we are talking high pressure

RL said:
Hi Rock,

Rock Conner RRT said:
RL said:

I was warned by my DME to not even use a lip balm or any other product with mineral oil around the oxygen concentrator due to potential hazard of combustability.

That sounds ridiculous to me. I would hate to think someone does without lip balm because of an irresponsible comment. Please someone correct me if you have scientific reasoning to forego lip balm.

I make sure to use lip balms containing no petroleum jelly (Vaseline). This is not because of flammability issue, but it is because petroleum jelly will breakdown the mask.

Footnote: If you are in bed using CPAP, using supplemental oxygen, smoking pot and lighting firecrackers, then I would say don't use lip balm.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service