Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

American Heart Association Gives OSA Patients the Finger

I have personally approached the marketing/ communications director of the American Heart Association to work together with the NYC AWAKE group to spread OSA awareness, and she essentially told us to pound sand because the connection between OSA and heart disease was not sufficiently proven. Outrageous, huh?

Views: 1085

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Peter wrote:
Mike and/or Judy -- when you wade through these lightly edited, heavily verbose jottings, could you either start a new thread on oximeters or let me know if there is further pertinent discussion of whether or not the SPO 7500 is indeed worth three times the price of the CMS 50E ( and Judy I promise to read the threads on cpaptalk on that latter machine while waiting your response).

Peter I second that request. I'd greatly appreciate the same info. I read on one of the other forums (many months ago) that the recording oximeter that Walmart sells functions as well as many expensive models that the DME companies sell. Wasn't sure if that is accurate. It would suit my budget far better, but don't want to pay even the appox. $200 at Walmart if it is not accurate. Heck, I have even seem the medical clinic staff at Urgent Care (who can afford the best) wonder about the accuracy of finger oximeters sometimes.......saw this when I took my mother to Urgent Care and the doc got a reading that seemed too low, so she tried it on herself just to make sure it was functioning properly.

That does seem like a topic worth developing in a new discussion thread.

Heather
looks like Judy beat me to the punch on starting an oximeter thread: http://www.sleepguide.com/forum/topics/recording-oximeters -- thanks, Judy.

Heather Dent said:
Peter wrote: Mike and/or Judy -- when you wade through these lightly edited, heavily verbose jottings, could you either start a new thread on oximeters or let me know if there is further pertinent discussion of whether or not the SPO 7500 is indeed worth three times the price of the CMS 50E ( and Judy I promise to read the threads on cpaptalk on that latter machine while waiting your response).

Peter I second that request. I'd greatly appreciate the same info. I read on one of the other forums (many months ago) that the recording oximeter that Walmart sells functions as well as many expensive models that the DME companies sell. Wasn't sure if that is accurate. It would suit my budget far better, but don't want to pay even the appox. $200 at Walmart if it is not accurate. Heck, I have even seem the medical clinic staff at Urgent Care (who can afford the best) wonder about the accuracy of finger oximeters sometimes.......saw this when I took my mother to Urgent Care and the doc got a reading that seemed too low, so she tried it on herself just to make sure it was functioning properly.

That does seem like a topic worth developing in a new discussion thread.

Heather
Remember... ULTIMATELY, the goal of ALL this machinery, surgery, dental appliances, Acupuncture, etc that we're discussing is to prevent O2 Sat from dropping and the CPAP or any of those machines don't record ANYTHING about O2 Sat. Secondary to prevention of low O2 sat is prevention of excess CO2 buildup.

Actually it is to prevent the arousal. the bad o2 is the end result in this scenerio that we call sleep. it is also easier to fix the desat. There is also more money in it. It is the arousal from deep sleep that causes more harm. This combined with low o2 and a hormonal imbalence (chicken or the egg) is what causes all of the problems. Who am I kidding? you already knew that, right?

If the desat was the main problem then everyone would sleep perfect on PAP. If the arousals continue after implimenting PAP therapy your sleep will remain broken. on the other hand I can remove the arousal and leave most of the desats and you will sleep fine. Sleep is funny that way.
What do you think causes the arousal??? It is the LOW O2 and in some cases the excess CO2 - it's the BRAIN telling the body to get into gear, wake up and BREATHE to KEEP YOU ALIVE!!! Saying that you're going to fix the arousals and leave the desats is like saying you'll patch a flat tire but not put any air in and the tire will work as good as new. That may not be the best analogy, in fact, forget that, because no matter what - the AROUSALS are CAUSED BY the desats - there may be OTHER reasons for ADDITIONAL arousals but DESATS ARE BAD, BAD, BAD... I'm still shaking my head at the outrageous statements that were just made and, more importantly that they were made by a "GREAT RPSGT". I guess that proves my point about useless Certs better than I ever could have.

I mean, come on, this is probably the most ridiculous statement I've EVER heard on this board. It is FLAT WRONG, I just can't believe what I'm reading here. Why don't you go tell that to any COMPETENT doctor (sleep doctor or not - ANY doctor will do, as long as they're an MD) and have them laugh you out of their waiting room.

Rock Hinkle said:
Remember... ULTIMATELY, the goal of ALL this machinery, surgery, dental appliances, Acupuncture, etc that we're discussing is to prevent O2 Sat from dropping and the CPAP or any of those machines don't record ANYTHING about O2 Sat. Secondary to prevention of low O2 sat is prevention of excess CO2 buildup.
Actually it is to prevent the arousal. the bad o2 is the end result in this scenerio that we call sleep. it is also easier to fix the desat. There is also more money in it. It is the arousal from deep sleep that causes more harm. This combined with low o2 and a hormonal imbalence (chicken or the egg) is what causes all of the problems. Who am I kidding? you already knew that, right? If the desat was the main problem then everyone would sleep perfect on PAP. If the arousals continue after implimenting PAP therapy your sleep will remain broken. on the other hand I can remove the arousal and leave most of the desats and you will sleep fine. Sleep is funny that way.
it was a conversation i just had with a doctor Carl, which you are not. I am not going to get into how the arousal is the more serious of the 2. I am done defending myself to a complete idiot. i am done defending myself on this site. this is my personal time and you would not know your ass from a hole in the ground.

Good luck everyone! My email will not change
Rock.......forget Carl. He's the only person trying to make you defend yourself. All the rest of us recognize that you spend you personal time answering our questions. We know you are qualified/certified and have a wealth of experience, which you are willing to share. We respect and appreciate that. There sits Carl, critical of the home study and on-the-job training you have had, and the knowledge you continue to seek (high altitude and in Alaska where it is always night for 6 months of the year). Carl on the other hand is unable to even realize that no educational institution (college or university could replicate the number of sleep labs necessary to train a class of PSGT students). Looks to me like Carl thinks he knows more than you and more than everyone else on this forum (sounds like Carl has thought that about every person he has ever met, regardless of their field of endeavor). Methinks Carl is jealous of the high esteem you are held in, by the people who frequent this forum. And if he can piss you off and make you leave, then maybe he can take your place. Don't bite on that bait. We'll all disappear off this forum if ALL we are left with is Carl trying (in vain) to take your place. Just think of Carl as a "slinky".......not much good for anything, but it brings a smile to your face when you push it down a flight of stairs.

And Carl, you have nothing to offer here. We have seen you for what you are, your attitude sucks BIGTIME. So take a hike Carl.
ahh Ignorence is bliss when protecting the almighty dollar!

Steven Y. Park, MD said:
The AHA is a trade organization, just like all the other medical organizations. Their main goal is to protect their member's professional and financial interests. Admitting that OSA is a major cause of heart disease would be upsetting the status quo, since all the entire heart health industry is based on medications and surgical procedures. Imagine what would happen if 90% of all sleep apnea patients were found and treated...
Having thickening of two heart valves shown on sono echo tests from stopping breathing (apnea) the stress on our hearts is clearly evidant. This is Dis- ease ! Perhaps we can take a survey whom amongst us has heart (documented) issues and submit our info to Dr Oz. He is the most visable heart Dr. who is interested in current info. Knowledge GIVES US trends and treatment options which we need to continue learning how to feel better.A preponderance of data can change minds and our lives.
Well, Chris, I just this year encountered Atrial Fibrillation for the first time. 8 "events" in 7 months. I've just recently been started on Coumadin to reduce the risk of clots and Diltiazem to hopefully restore and maintain good cardiac sinus rhythm.
Judy, Hope you get your rythem back! The AHA is not interested in us so how about the media? Their are 2 medical themed programs that need content....1 The Dr's at 9am and at 11 and 3 is Dr Oz.Are any of the producers checking us out .Or do we need to compile our own data and publish it?

Judy said:
Well, Chris, I just this year encountered Atrial Fibrillation for the first time. 8 "events" in 7 months. I've just recently been started on Coumadin to reduce the risk of clots and Diltiazem to hopefully restore and maintain good cardiac sinus rhythm.
Giggle. Thank, Chris. I'm hoping to "Get Rhythm" as Johnny Cash suggested. Much more fun that getting arrhythmia.

I doubt any of the producers are checking "us" out. Most of these shows get SCADS of suggestions from people about the "disease d'jour" for them.
its like asking a methodist what method they use

chris h said:
Judy, Hope you get your rythem back! The AHA is not interested in us so how about the media? Their are 2 medical themed programs that need content....1 The Dr's at 9am and at 11 and 3 is Dr Oz.Are any of the producers checking us out .Or do we need to compile our own data and publish it?

Judy said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service