Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Kay Day left a comment for Kay Day
"September 1, 2014 My apologies to Sleep Guide for not participating in a long time. In January 2012 I started classes at the local community college (my husband is an instructor there, and my tuition is refunded when my grades are above a C. My…"
1 hour ago
Mary Z posted a discussion

Sleep apnea increases risk of osteoporosis

Sleep apnea/osteoporosis study finds “increased” health riskA recently published study may have found a connection between obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and osteoporosis, marking yet another health…See More
Aug 23
Mary Z replied to ZolliStar's discussion Non-invasion approach that can relieve mild sleep apnea
"Hi ZolliStar, I've heard before that speech therapy, or singing lessons can help sleep apnea.  The problem at that time was there was no way to determine which exercises help.  Getting research done, rather than anecdotal would be…"
Jul 28
ZolliStar posted a discussion

Non-invasion approach that can relieve mild sleep apnea

Some people report that singing -- singing! -- really helps their sleep apnea. Dr. Stephen Park said that myology (which are exercises to strengthen muscles around the inside of one's mouth area) helps some. I think singing would be better.  If you read all the FAQs on this (click below), I think you'll agree that it makes sense for some. Maybe you.http://www.singingforsnorers.com/index.htmSee More
Jul 28
ZolliStar posted a discussion
Jul 20
liz4cps commented on liz4cps's group Prince William Co, VA support group
"I talked to Kimberlie at the Novant Sleep lab last week (at Prince William Hospital) and she said they would not be holding any meetings this year but are planning to start holding meetings again next year.  I'll let you know when we have…"
Jul 14
richard graham posted a status
"I just have mask called the Wisp. Hope it works. Anybody have experience with it. I have an ultra mirage nasal mask and get leaks at brid"
Jul 9
Andy posted a discussion

Resmed S8 AutoSet II - No Longer Collecting Data??

Hi All,First off, my apologies for not checking in for a long time.I've been using my Resmed S8 AutoSet II for almost 3 years! I feel great, have lost almost 30 lbs, am no longer sleepy during the day, sleep through the night, and have my short-term memory back.Yay!I've told my doctors that I'm the "poster child" for Sleep Apnea and CPAPs! It's been, and continues to be, such an amazing experience that I want everyone to know!Everything has been going well in CPAP-land, but in the last few…See More
Jul 7
hifay replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"What type of chin straps?"
Jul 6
Ginny Edmundson replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"No real improvement in sleep study.  Just not having to use cervical neck color.  What a bummer. Surgeon wants another sleep study in about a month or so (home one) Not sure if will do or not. "
Jun 22
Mary Z replied to Ginny Edmundson's discussion Scheduled for evaluation and possible procedure next day
"Ginny, how are you doing after the tongue procedure?"
Jun 22
Mary Z posted a discussion

AHI finally under five.

I have been on CPAP since March 2008 and had a good AHI when I started therapy (under 5).Then my AHI started getting worse- for a while it stayed in the 20's, then we got it to the high teens.  Nothing we did would help.  My doctor said it was due to the meds I take.  For a couple of years I just tolerated the high AHI.  I did another sleep study and changed to an ASV machine.  For two years I still had a AHI around 11-13.  Then all of a sudden - a month ago I noticed my AHI was running five or…See More
Jun 22
ZolliStar replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"FWIW, I've been alternating between my mouth device and my APAP. I haven't used humidity at all when I use the APAP -- and don't miss it, either. "
Jun 14
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"I still use humidity but less of it. It seems to be working OK.."
Jun 14
ZolliStar replied to richard graham's discussion mouth breathing
"I rarely use the humidifier. I think it's less necessary during the summer when there is humidity.   I also switch between my mouth device and the APAP.  I like each for different reasons. Not sure with which I sleep better, though.…"
May 21
Mary Z replied to richard graham's discussion sick again
"I've been doing well.  I think you were going to try the cpap without humidity- did that help at all?  I haven't had a cold for a couple of years."
May 14
Ginny Edmundson replied to richard graham's discussion sick again
"CPAP seems to cause stuffiness in many of us.  ANother reason I hate it so much!Do you rinse your nose with saline once a day…maybe before you go to bed for the night? "
May 5
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion sick again
"I do wake up stuffed up most days"
May 5
richard graham replied to richard graham's discussion sick again
"I do have non allergic rhinitis. Now I'm thinking that's probably it because I only feel that way for a day or 2. Thank you"
May 4
Ginny Edmundson replied to richard graham's discussion sick again
"I have been lucky.  Not one cold past three years. Could some of your problem be allergies?"
May 4

Sleep Apnea - Preventive Childhood Measures from A Parent

I'm hoping to have children and if we are blessed with children I want to do as much as I can reasonably do to prevent the development of Sleep Apnea.  I have heard that proper palatal development to make sure the airway reaches its ideal size is key.  Is this correct?  Also, is anything else important besides the ever-important body weight?

I believe that part of the problem with proper airway and jaw development lies in all the easy-to-eat and processed food we all have been eating and one preventive measure might be to give kids more to gnaw on.  We are so concerned making sure dogs get bones to teeth on - maybe we should throw our kids some bones (literally and figuratively) to help promote their jaw development? Am I crazy?

Views: 101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You're not crazy.  It's a great thought.  

I'm no expert and I really don't know the answer to your question.  Hopefully one of our Professional members in the field of dentistry or anything related to oral development  will weigh in.

Dave, I agree with Mary, it's probably best one of the professionals try to answer your question, I would think just as a layman, it would be difficult to do anything. It's like saying how do I stop them getting cancer or any other illness, you can try to prevent it but if it's going to be it's going to be and everyone has a different make up so it would be very hard to prevent it. There are also two types of SA, Central and Obstructive. The 'normal' things to look for are not always what they seem, I was underweight and didn't snore but I'm a male and 49 years of age so only half fit the criteria. I believe I have had SA for my whole 49 years so it doesn't really matter what my parents did anyway. The best thing is to diagnose it as early as possible and the treatment really isn't that bad, it's a lot better than the alternative. Good luck with your quest.

You are certainly not crazy, Dave. To give children the very best start, I would advocate breast feeding. For the best support and advice on breast feeding and good nutrition, I would recommend La Leche League. It was founded by breast feeding mums to help other mums.Their support groups are excellent -very friendly and welcoming. Worth seeking out and attending even before baby is born. They have helped many mums over the years breast feed successfully.

Lisa took the words out of my computer!  Breastfeeding helps in many ways known, unknown, and becoming known. Very likely the suckling action makes a difference in palate formation -- maybe a huge difference.

Also, breastfeeding is better for baby (helps him or her in the development of immunities and delivers tailor-made nutrition to name two), better for mom (the suckling action aids in the involution of the uterus after childbirth, for example), and is a great enhancement of the bond between mother and child.

I hope you will be blessed with many children!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2014   Created by The SleepGuide Crew.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service