Join Our Newsletter

New? Free Sign Up

Then check our Welcome Center to a Community Caring about Sleep Apnea diagnosis and Sleep Apnea treatment:

CPAP machines, Sleep Apnea surgery and dental appliances.

CPAP Supplies

Latest Activity

Steven B. Ronsen updated their profile
Mar 5
Dan Lyons updated their profile
Mar 7, 2022
99 replied to Mike's discussion SPO 7500 Users?
"please keep me updated about oximeters "
Dec 4, 2021
Stefan updated their profile
Sep 16, 2019
Profile IconBLev and bruce david joined SleepGuide
Aug 21, 2019

BRPT President Janice East Open Letter to BRPT Credential Holders Dated today, January 19, 2011:

To my fellow BRPT credential holders:

We have been notified that the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) has decided to develop a certification exam for sleep technologists, and I believe that decision will concern you as much as it concerns me. AASM has been very clear: a primary goal is to produce a test that will be easier to pass.

The RPSGT credential earned from the Board of Registered Polysomnographic Technologists (BRPT) is not only a confirmation of hard work and commitment to our profession. The RPSGT exam, accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA), represents the gold standard in our profession and supports and sustains the professional standing we enjoy with state and federal regulators, under reimbursement guidelines for Medicare and Medicaid, and within the broader allied health community.  More than 17,000 sleep technologists have earned the RPSGT credential since the RPSGT exam was introduced 32 years ago.

We have been working closely over the past three years with AASM to address AASM’s concern that too few technologists are passing the RPSGT exam, resulting in an unmet demand for new certified technologists. In fact, we invested over $100,000 to launch the Certified Polysomnographic Technician (CPSGT) exam last year in response to a direct request from the AASM leadership.  The CPSGT exam was developed in close collaboration with representatives of both AASM and the American Association of Sleep Technologists (AAST) and was positioned as the first step in a tiered credentialing program for sleep professionals leading to the RPSGT credential.  

On December 17, 2010 -- barely nine months after the CPSGT exam was introduced -- we received a letter from the American Board of Sleep Medicine (ABSM) informing us that the AASM Board had voted to develop its own certification exam for sleep technologists to be administered through the ABSM . The letter reiterated the AASM concern that the RPSGT passing score is set too high. The letter went on to make two disturbing claims that reflect poorly on RPSGTs, noting that “sleep physicians who are medical directors of sleep centers have expressed concern that certification by the BRPT does not ensure professional readiness” and that “the BRPT examination does not test the basic knowledge necessary to perform sleep studies.” We have asked specifically for data to support these assertions.

I am reaching out to you today because we fear the development of a new certification exam for sleep technologists, developed under the direction of a physician-led organization and with a stated goal of producing a high pass rate, will lead to two very different levels of professional credentialing in sleep technology. That development will be viewed by other medical and allied health professionals and state and federal regulators as reducing the high standards that have helped advance our profession.

I want to know your feelings about the development of a new certification exam for sleep technologists.  I am asking you to reach out to BRPT with your thoughts. This link (embed link) will take you directly to the BRPT credential holders message board on www.brpt.org. Click on this link (embed link) to review the letter forwarded to BRPT by the ABSM and to read the BRPT response. I urge you to join this conversation and be heard on this critical issue.

Sincerely,

Janice East, RPSGT, R. EEG T.
President

Views: 1472

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tiredjohnny1 said, "That just gives us more techs that arent good enough."

No, it just means that you have to do your job in evaluating candidates, selecting the ones who are going to perform well, and continuing evaluation of employees to make sure they actually do perform well.

I think you already know this because you state, "I have been amazed to interview RPSGTs who just don't know enough." I am assuming you did not hire those people.

Sure it would be nice if job candidates came to sleep labs with a little piece of paper that guaranteed they would be excellent competent employees. It would make your job very easy - just hire the dudes and put them to work - end of story.

But life is not like that. There is not a single profession that has a licensing or certification program that works like that!

Sorry but if you want to run a good sleep lab you will have to do the hard work of evaluating job candidates, evaluating employees, and firing the mistakes you made in selection. That is how you earn your salary. No easy way out.

I agree that a certification does not guarantee performance.  However, there should be a minimum level of competency and the RPSGT exam just does not satisfy that.  The entry level credential, the CPSGT, which is very basic and those techs require a great deal of training is still claimed by the AASM to be too hard to pass.  Most good techs actually want the RPSGT to be more focused on actual acquisition and scoring but also to be much more difficult so that it can actually provide a minimum standard of competency. 

As for the job responsibilities of sleep techs, we basically do everything for the patient.  We hook the patient up and make sure there is good data.  But we also prepare the info for the doctor.  We look at the test in 30 second length pages and mark sleep stages, arousals, respiratory events, leg movements, snoring, oxygen desaturations, ekg abnormalities, etc.  We write a summary that gives our impression of the study.  If the acquisition tech is good, the scoring tech is good, the physician only spends about 5 minutes writing a report.  The physician's report typically is just a repeat of the tech's summary.  Then the physician signs it and perhaps adds a few comments or instructions.  He basically gives the tech's work his approval.  Some physicians are much more involved but the vast majority operate this way.   Of course only a physician can interpret how the findings affect the particular patient and correlate clinically, but whether or not your sleep study is good depends very much on the ability of your sleep tech and not whether or not he has a good personality. 

I am a technologist {RPSGT) not and MD just to clarify

If the AASM devlopes this credential I will take the exam.

I think a better use of the Credential would be for the BRPT to have levels of testing such as a certification for Recording, paping credential, and of course a credential for scoring. The final credential for scoring not offered until the technologist has worked a total of 5 years of night work.

I have been working 20 plus years in the field and get overwelmed at times. This just sends me back to the books and asking tons of questions. We have too many self appointed GURUs in the field and not enough professionals.

Hey Rock, we are all entitled to our opinion however, I prefer factual statements over half truths and beliefs based upon one's personal delusions.

You stated the BRPT solicited you for money. I say that's a crock. The BRPT isn't a membership organization requiring or requesting any type of annual funding.

You stated you have no contact with them. I say that's a crock. They send out quarterly newletters entitled "The Insider" which contains pertainate information relavent to the sleep medicine field and typically list their activites conducted. If you are not receiving these e-mails I suggest you visit www.brpt.org and update your personal contact information.

You stated the BRPT did not help you with your resume...really? I mean really? You want them to put the food on the spoon, make airplane sounds while it "flies" into your mouth?

You stated they didn't help you negotiate a salary? The BRPT is not a union...please refer back to the no membership fee statement.

You state "to your knowledge". Unfortunately, it is obvious you have limited knowledge of your environment and the field you work in. You should take the time to enlighten yourself. Stop waiting for everyone to do it for you.

I would suggest you go to the BRPT website and read. Answer your own question about what they are doing for you.

Are you referencing the meeting in Denver when you say "so called" leadership meeting? I don't think you were there. I have a list of the meeting attendees, your name isn't on it.

I think that statement, and your entire note is just another crock...from Rock.

Pathetic. 

Rock Hinkle said:

Randy,

I agree that sleep lacks leadership. That leadership is supposed to come from the BRPT, AASM,  and the AAST. I can't say much about the AAST as I have very limited experience with them. They did solicit me for a $100 membership fee not long after I received my registry. The BRPT has also only contacted me to solicit money. I highly doubt that the AASM knows that myself or any other tech exist.

You say that the BRPT represents me. How? Short of the check I sent them and the congratulatory letter I have had no contact from them. I have no say in who gets elected. Not one board member represents the working class tech. To my knowledge they have never supported state licensure in any state. In the so called "leadership" meeting they made it clear to amny of us that they represented the revenue or management side of sleep.No one from the BRPT came to help me with my resume, or even negotiate my compensation. To my knowledge the none of the above mentioned acronyms have done anything to even ensure pay or benefits in this industry. Other than pay an outside management company to do their job what exactly does the BRPT do? $450 a test is alot of money Randy.

What have they done for me or my peers? Please tell me. The response letter from the BRPT to the AASM made it very clear who they have been working for during the last year. It was not me or you.

Please give me a reason to support them.

randy townsend said:

Good luck to the BRPT.

new communication yesterday from Janice East, BRPT President -- I feel as if some of this is in direct response to the messages posted here by Rock, Amy, Randy, D.W. and others:

Stronger Than Ever

Over the past week, BRPT shared information with you regarding the AASM’s decision to develop a sleep technologist exam. I have truly been energized by the passionate responses and thoughtful insights from so many of you. I appreciate the phone calls, emails and postings to the BRPT message board and other locations.

Several important themes came across in your messages – too many to recount in a single blog entry. But the comments that have encouraged me the most have been those detailing your steadfast devotion to your patients and your deep concern for their care; the pride you have in your profession, writ large, and in the duties you carry out each day; and, the great sense of achievement and accomplishment you share for the RPSGT credential.

Here’s what some of you have said regarding the development of a new certification exam, how you feel about your credential and what you think would benefit our profession:
• The patients are the ones that will ultimately pay the price.

• This will affect patient care and proper diagnosis.

• I thought we were all on the same side to help improve the quality of patients’ lives.

• Having several different credentials will only cause confusion and destabilize our profession.

• The problem lies in education.

• We need quality training programs for people entering the field.

• I felt a sense of pride and accomplishment when recently passing the RPSGT exam. This [development] feels like a slap in the face.

• I take great pride in my hard work over the years and the time and effort I put into my profession.

• Those of us who pass and become registered have achieved something special and are proud of what we have accomplished.

There is one other point I’d like to address here. Many of you rightfully questioned why the BRPT and the AASM can’t work together to unite – not divide – the profession. We’re asking the same question. I’ve already noted the genesis and development of the CPSGT exam as one example where we thought we were collaborating and responding to their concerns. But in addition, we’ve had several meetings over the last couple of years with AASM and AAST leadership – most recently in September 2010 at the AASM headquarters. We thought the meeting was open and collaborative and underscored the shared commitment of our organizations to working together to strengthen the profession. We were mistaken.

We stand now, more than ever, committed to a strong credentialing program for our field. The RPSGT credential will remain the highest level of achievement for technologists in sleep medicine. You should be proud of what you have accomplished and the good work you do each day.

Thank you for your comments, suggestions, and words of wisdom. Please continue to make your voices heard by reaching out to us, the AASM, AAST and other professional organizations to which you belong. 

Janice East, RPSGT, R. EEG T.BRPT President

No Randy I was not at the symposium in Denver despite being in that very city. Due to my family situation I could not afford the $300 price tag. After listening to many of the techs in our industry I came to the conclusion that this particular meeting would be a waist of my time and money. You may not know that this is the opinion of many in the sleep community concerning the BRPT. I did however receive the minutes via the data storage devices that were handed out. Off this I was able to determine that I had made the right decision. I personally know of 5 different techs from different regions that walked out of the meeting prior to it's completion.  

"You stated the BRPT solicited you for money. I say that's a crock. The BRPT isn't a membership organization requiring or requesting any type of annual funding."

If they are not a membership organization then what are they? Does all that the RPSGT credential stand for is that I was able to pass a test? Am I not a part of particular group? A group started by the BRPT.

"You stated you have no contact with them. I say that's a crock. They send out quarterly newletters entitled "The Insider" which contains pertainate information relavent to the sleep medicine field and typically list their activites conducted. If you are not receiving these e-mails I suggest you visit www.brpt.org and update your personal contact information."

Yes they do send out emails every now and then. I have had plenty on the CPSGT credential, and the new already watered down test. Yep I said it! Mostly I got invitations to spend the $300 plus at the symposium in Denver. If that's not soliciting I don't know what is. I have read the info at all 3 national sleep sites. Well all 2 anyway as one does not seem to have an opinion. If I had to base my opinion on the BRPT on the information they had sent me it would be that they right the test. That is all. A test in which no answer key or study material is provided. The AASM actually controls what little study material there is.  

"You stated the BRPT did not help you with your resume...really? I mean really? You want them to put the food on the spoon, make airplane sounds while it "flies" into your mouth?"

I take it your saying that because the BRPT provided me with the credential they did help me. Your wrong! I sought out the required information to take that test. I studied for countless hours so that I would pass on the first try. I earned those letters. No one gave them to me. I don't consider myself an RPSGT because I passed that test. I am an RPSGT because of what I do for my patients everynight. I am embarressed by the test that I took, and for what is going on in the industry right now. Not so much for me but for the more experienced techs like you.

"You state "to your knowledge". Unfortunately, it is obvious you have limited knowledge of your environment and the field you work in. You should take the time to enlighten yourself. Stop waiting for everyone to do it for you.

I would suggest you go to the BRPT website and read. Answer your own question about what they are doing for you."

You are correct in saying that my knowledge of the political side of sleep is limited. I won't argue that as I have spent the majority of my 3 years in sleep seeking out the education that the BRPT does not provide. When I could not find mentors the members here at SG quizzed me.  I have also spent a great deal of my time providing study packets for those techs coming in behind me. I am also an active member of binary and many of your facebook sleep sites. In my free time I spend time here answering questions.

Whats pathetic is sleep politics and the leadership that fuels it. I sought guidance from you and got judgement. Do you hear that Randy? I think another PAPPY MILL just went up on your watch.

It is time for a change in this industry. Rooster, Banyon, and jnk were all right. I have been defending the wrong side the whole time.

randy townsend said:

Hey Rock, we are all entitled to our opinion however, I prefer factual statements over half truths and beliefs based upon one's personal delusions.

You stated the BRPT solicited you for money. I say that's a crock. The BRPT isn't a membership organization requiring or requesting any type of annual funding.

You stated you have no contact with them. I say that's a crock. They send out quarterly newletters entitled "The Insider" which contains pertainate information relavent to the sleep medicine field and typically list their activites conducted. If you are not receiving these e-mails I suggest you visit www.brpt.org and update your personal contact information.

You stated the BRPT did not help you with your resume...really? I mean really? You want them to put the food on the spoon, make airplane sounds while it "flies" into your mouth?

You stated they didn't help you negotiate a salary? The BRPT is not a union...please refer back to the no membership fee statement.

You state "to your knowledge". Unfortunately, it is obvious you have limited knowledge of your environment and the field you work in. You should take the time to enlighten yourself. Stop waiting for everyone to do it for you.

I would suggest you go to the BRPT website and read. Answer your own question about what they are doing for you.

Are you referencing the meeting in Denver when you say "so called" leadership meeting? I don't think you were there. I have a list of the meeting attendees, your name isn't on it.

I think that statement, and your entire note is just another crock...from Rock.

Pathetic. 

Rock Hinkle said:

Randy,

I agree that sleep lacks leadership. That leadership is supposed to come from the BRPT, AASM,  and the AAST. I can't say much about the AAST as I have very limited experience with them. They did solicit me for a $100 membership fee not long after I received my registry. The BRPT has also only contacted me to solicit money. I highly doubt that the AASM knows that myself or any other tech exist.

You say that the BRPT represents me. How? Short of the check I sent them and the congratulatory letter I have had no contact from them. I have no say in who gets elected. Not one board member represents the working class tech. To my knowledge they have never supported state licensure in any state. In the so called "leadership" meeting they made it clear to amny of us that they represented the revenue or management side of sleep.No one from the BRPT came to help me with my resume, or even negotiate my compensation. To my knowledge the none of the above mentioned acronyms have done anything to even ensure pay or benefits in this industry. Other than pay an outside management company to do their job what exactly does the BRPT do? $450 a test is alot of money Randy.

What have they done for me or my peers? Please tell me. The response letter from the BRPT to the AASM made it very clear who they have been working for during the last year. It was not me or you.

Please give me a reason to support them.

randy townsend said:

Good luck to the BRPT.

new communication from BRPT to RPSGT credential holders:

January 28, 2011

To my fellow technologists:

I want to extend a personal word of thanks to each you who have responded quickly and passionately to the announcement of the AASM plan to develop a certification exam for sleep technologists. Your personal messages to me by phone and email, your postings to the BRPT message board, and your interactions on professional social networking sites have been inspiring and energizing.

In this week's posting to my BRPT President's Blog I highlight some of the common themes repeated by BRPT credential holders in response to the AASM plan, including:

• First and foremost, pride in achieving the RPSGT credential and in the work that went in to earning the credential
  • A concern that an exam developed with a goal of a high pass rate will inevitably compromise the quality of technologists earning "certification," and will impact the quality of patient care
  • An understanding of the need for strong, readily available educational programs leading to a career in polysomnographic technology
  • Disappointment that AASM has chosen to take a step which will have a divisive effect on our field, instead of supporting the CPSGT exam and the tiered credentialing program they urged BRPT to develop and implement
  • Puzzlement regarding the position of AAST – the professional organization representing sleep technologists – with regard to development of a new certification exam through a physicians' organization

I'm pleased to say that BRPT received a response Tuesday from ABSM President Dr. Nathaniel Watson. Unfortunately, the letter simply reaffirmed the ABSM decision to develop a new exam and did not respond to the issues we raised. It also shed no more light on whether ABSM has data to support its assertion that "sleep physicians who are medical directors of sleep centers have expressed concern that certification by the BRPT does not ensure professional readiness." ABSM also released a public statement on Tuesday that was surprising to me. It said that the proposed new exam "does not have a stated goal of producing a high pass rate," even though the AASM has repeatedly asked BRPT in formal correspondence and conversations to lower the passing score for the current exam and mentioned its concern with the passing rate in the second paragraph of its December 17 letter to BRPT. The statement also suggested that BRPT credential holders could be "grandfathered" into the new credential, even though ABSM has publicly questioned the "readiness" of BRPT-credentialed technologists.

We have posted these two documents at www.brpt.org and encourage you to read them. It is also critically important that you join in and remain active in this conversation. Here are some ways you can help:

• If you are an AASM or AAST member post your comments on the AASM or AAST message boards, available on their websites: www.aasmnet.org and www.aastweb.org.
  • Make certain the leadership of each organization is aware of your concerns. Each organization lists current officers and directors on their website.
  • Engage your fellow technologists. Emphasize to them the importance of speaking out – actively and often – on behalf of their credential.
  • Engage your medical directors. Make certain they are aware of this development and aware of your concerns.